Bonehew & my Merc is Godly!

bosoxx

Diabloii.Net Member
Bonehew & my Merc is Godly!

Actually..no. But i haven't posted in awhile and i was looking for some stuff to chat about.

In all seriousness i did give my Combat Merc the Bonehew i found and he seems to be a lot happier and healthier. He only dies 12x a day now during runs. (instead of 20+ times normally). I wanted to talk about my Hell runs i've done lately with my Hammerdin and see if i'm just having bad luck or something is wrong. Here's my normal run sequence:

The Pit
Mausoleum
Countess
Andy
Ancient Tunnels
Pindle
Shenk
Elderich (sp)?

..i may toss a Durance/Mephisto run in if i have time. Over about 3 weeks of running all of these spots i've probably nabbed close to 80 Uniques. Until today, nothing was higher than level 48. (Character Level needed to use). Today i got Stormshield (level 73) off of Shenk i believe. That's my 2nd SS. Out of everything else, they were low to mid level items. Just how rare are some of these items? I realize there are a lot more low/mid items UQ's in the game, but these areas are all 80+. Shouldn't a better class of gear drop there than things like Tearhaunch and lousy unique Poleaxe's? I'm running around with over 545% MF and i'm not getting any shortage of drops. It's just the drops stink. I've tried solo'ing my way to Baal at level ** and Act 2 is still troublesome with the Souls. I haven't tried Diablo or his crew (maybe i should)? but some have said he's even more difficult than Baal.

I have to think a lot of this is pure luck because i read posts where people find this and that, (good stuff) and i haven't found anything. I can't even find decent eth equip for my Merc.

-Bo

franzjosef

Diabloii.Net Member
Some context would be handy: what is merc's other equipment? Is this an ethereal or non-ethereal 'Hew? Socketed, and if so, what? (Your character's set-up probably isn't that important unless you're lending a key aura.)

My big necro's Might-y Guy uses a 317ED ethereal 'Hew socketed with AmnAmn, wears Andy's and ethereal Fort (woot!) and he generally never dies unless he gets hit with IM. Even when he switches to an Insight thresher (sometimes Insight golem is dead), he doesn't have much problem staying alive.

It sure seems like your guy is dying a lot, though. Of course, that may be because you're doing so many runs a day (especially in hazardous areas) that it's par for the course. Still, I'm curious about the guy's leeching.

Noodle

The level required to wield/ wear an item is not the same as the item's level, or ilevel . . . This isn't meant to be a challenge, but what's your playstyle like? Can you step back and consider if you are a bit too aggressive at times, or maybe you could circle back below monsters so the hammers will have a better chance at hitting? Level ** isn't a high level per se, but certainly reasonable. And a reasonable level, properly built and played Hammerdin shouldn't have a merc die that often. I did six hours of /players 8 hell Baal runs with my Blizzsorc today, and my merc died once. A Hammerdin has no natural Immunes outside of the Wailing Beasts, so you should have similar results if not better.

A good point about the leeching, though. My standard merc set up is Tal's helmet, Shaftstop, and Reaper's Toll, with an Ethereal upp'ed Kelpie in the cube for switch once it comes down to Baal. I find Tal's, accompanied with the Decrepify from Reaper's, allows for sufficient leeching.

- Noodle

Zarniwoop

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm not sure what's going on.

I've been back and running baal, pits, meph, tristram, shenk and the one to the north and I've found essentially nothing in the time I've been back.

I used to pack up a several hrs a week worth of value easily on a bad week previously if I put in the time. I'm wondering if the drop rates changed?

All it would take would be a database change like divide all numbers by 5.

I have 400+ mf and I'm getting nothing useful at all.

graal

Diabloii.Net Member
If you are playing alone it would make a big difference to play in games with more players. More than mf % out of my experience.

Otherwise i guess you've been unlucky for a while. Dont worry, you're not alone and the good items will come.

Zeek

Diabloii.Net Member
I have bonehews on a bunch of my mercs. I like em. Especially for all the bone spears shooting out all over the place. Just looks cool.

Bonehews drop like popcorn for me for some reason.

Cambylobacter

Diabloii.Net Member
Is Bonehew the one with 2 slots? (I've one Merc with Insight and another with the 2 slot unique which I think is Bonehew). What have you guys been putting in the slots?

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Yeah, I have a Bonehew on one of my Mercs, I was chuffed when that thing dropped, I tell you. Because I'm a poor-arse bastard.

I put a Pskull in it, since I have nothing better I can afford to lose.

bg1256

Diabloii.Net Member
The Pit
Mausoleum
Countess
Andy
Ancient Tunnels
Pindle
Shenk
Elderich (sp)?

-Bo
I've always found Chaos runs to be fun.

Also, my two cents is to sacrifice mf for killing speed. I always tried for around 300% with high killing speed. More kills = more drops, and the faster you kill, the better chance you and your merc have of staying alive.