Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Bonehew and Steel Pillar.. which for ACt 2 merc

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by xtc_sazabi, Feb 21, 2004.

1. xtc_sazabi

xtc_sazabi IncGamers Member

Bonehew and Steel Pillar.. which for ACt 2 merc

My summoner runs baal alot, and i was wondering if using Bonehew which has good damage, prevent monster heal, high damage, was better than my current weapon, the unique war pike steel pillar. it has 77% enhanced defense, Crushin Blow, -% defense, and pretty good damage, just a little bit less than my bonehew. Would the steel pillar's mods be more useful? or would bonehew's socketability be better. Input greatly appreciated.

2. amishamigo

amishamigo IncGamers Member

I'd stick with the bonehew for the pmh, double amn it, or amn shael it

3. TPMdm

TPMdm IncGamers Member

PMh doesn't work from a merc, but I'd still stick with Bonehew. It's wicked fast, and it has the nifty bonespear thing which I find thematicly pleasing.

4. JoJeck

JoJeck IncGamers Member

PMH doesn't work from a merc and Baal does not regenerate anyway :uhhuh:

The damage of your Mercs and all your minions (including crushing blow, I think) is reduced to 25% against Bosses in Hell which is why it takes soooo... long to kill Baal with nearly 500,000 hit points (on Ladder). Baal has a 50% physical resistance too so Decrepify just removes this rather than doubling your damage. This means the crushing blow mod is a very good way to get rid of a lot of those points early on since it will basically get rid of 1/10 x 1 /4 = 1/40 of them each time it works. So the first crushing blow should remove about 12,500.

Try both weapons and see what works best but my money is on the Steel Pillar against Baal or any Boss, even though my own Merc uses an Ethereal Bonehew.

5. belth

belth IncGamers Member

I really like Steel Pillar as I'm using might merc and the added 2k (5k total) defense he gets from using it helps to keep him alive even better. The leech isn't great with a single Amn though, but I usually use LifeTap if it can save him.

6. JCX

JCX IncGamers Member

Against a bosses, the Steel Pillar is nice. I have a defiance merc on my frenzy barb who uses one quite effectively. The + defense really nice with him as well. He actually does good damage to Diablo clone.

For my necro mercs (might and holy freeze) I like a dual amn bonehew. Add a Tal's mask or gaze and they are real troopers. They are generally good killers, but I generally don't have to rely on them to kill. To contrast, the merc with my frenzy barb is more required to help kill so the crushing blow is nice for him. He only has life leech from the gaze, but with 15000 defense it doesn't matter.