Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Bone/Summon Hybrid Questions

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by gibsonSG, Sep 1, 2006.

1. gibsonSG

gibsonSG IncGamers Member

Bone/Summon Hybrid Questions

I have a bone/summon hybrid that is near-completion and am wondering what to do with extra skill points as I get them. I'm debating whether or not to put a point into each of the curses (except maybe the ones on the far left side - there's 3 I think) for "diversity's" sake, or to just pump whatever I get from now on into bone wall (or possibly bone armor?) for the synergy to bone spirit/spear (I know bone armor doesn't have synergy to spirit/spear, but it's decent for saving your *** at times). I've got "the usual" build of 20 Skeleton Mastery, 20 Raise Skeleton, 20 Bone Spear, 20 Bone Spirit with one point into everything else in the summon tree except fire golem - I only have one point in the curses tree (Amplify Damage).

Also, I was wondering what to do with stat points. Hopefully I didn't "over-spend" too much: I've got like 85 base strength (with some +strength items and maybe a torch that'll cover my gear "problems" when I upgrade to better stuff), base dexterity, I think maybe like 130 base vitality, base energy, and like 240-odd extra points. I'm thinking of doing max block with homonculous but I don't see a block calculator. I heard it's around 200 dexterity at level 99? What I usually do is just put in enough base points to have max block at like level 90, per say, and as I get +attributes items, those will cover me if I decide to go past level 90. So it's usually like 20 or so UNDER whatever dex for max block at level 99 would be...

I suppose I'm primarily a MFer, but I help friends and stuff too (I can rush with this guy after I make another enigma - that'll be fun). Also - what's a good weapon for MFing with this necromancer build? For my sorceress it's easy, because occulus not only gives kick-*** mods, but it also gives MF - I don't see a necromancer weapon that allows both MF AND sick mods. I suppose homonculus will be fine for the shield for now though (isn't that pretty much the standard?) but maybe I'll make a spirit monarch for switch after I get the 2nd enigma to lessen the strength gap.

Thanks in advance!!

2. garion

garion IncGamers Member

ive used this before ...and the bones skills are pretty weak in hell...late stages...since they are far from being fully synergized...they aren't great for crowd control...unless you CE after...which is quite useful...i did rely heavily on my army for keeping the baddies at bay....but i feel the psn/summon has worked out better for me...

i guess i saw my bone/summoner more like a summoner with some bone skills so that he could chime in on the fights...so summoner first and boner next =)

3. gibsonSG

...doesn't have much relevance to my questions but that's alright. I use them as support spells really. It's enough to kill the first few monsters so I can either summon my army or use corpse explosion. I guess you could say it's "free damage" as not really much is immune to "magic" damage even in hell. I'll agree that the damage is kind of sub-par, but my build seems to be working out just fine. It's even cooler because I didn't do the Nihlathak quest, so I get "free" minions before I decide to go anywhere. But yeah...as for the other questions I asked...

4. alexkerensky

alexkerensky IncGamers Member

Haha, you said boner.

Anyway, here are some other things to keep in mind: How's your mana supply, if you are summoning then moving to curse/bone skills? Are you sucking down mana pots to barrage or not?

Also, how about other skeletons--mages or revived? skeletons work, but mages may help you stand off and hit with elemental damage. Revived seem to me to have oodles of health, so one or two may help to tank.

Last, i have noticed that in normal, teeth seems to slam into the enemy, do a tiny bit of damage, but stop the enemy in their motion. is this true in nightmare/hell as well?

5. garion

garion IncGamers Member

yeah i guess i had initially thought that the bone/summoner would be able to deal tons of dmg...with piercing etc...but i agree it beats sitting around....

beyon the bone sprit/spear, raise skele/mastery...you cna put 1 pt into revives/mages/claygolem/golem mastery/decrep/CE/AMp...

i think decrep will be quite useful in slowing down good amounts of baddies...for you to shoot at =)...like fish in a barrel.....and then CE away....

you could also put a bit more into bone wall/prison/armor too..i like armor since it can absorb a wee bit a phys dmg....and is always on...etc.....

6. Bjam

Bjam IncGamers Member

I built a PvM Bone/Summon Necro last ladder an he was incredible fun and basically invincible. I did take advantage of the Marrowwalk bug, and when it was fixed his bone attack was pretty much emasculated. I wouldn't try to build another one now.

I think you will do better going with Poison/Summon in most cases. If you had huge +skills, you could spend most of your points in bone and just a few in the summon tree. Effectively, you would have a Bonemancer with summons and revives as meat shields, not your primary damage source. I think this build would be very successful in PvM and PvP.

7. gibsonSG

...but even though bone spear/spirit are, as you put it, "emasculated" it should still be efficient right? I just hope I didn't "waste" a character by doing so. As far as I'm concerned, I still kill stuff very quickly (especially in the cow level). It's just that my bone spear/spirit doesn't do AS much damage as it probably would have with that marrowalk bug (but it still helps kill stuff). Anyways, about the stat points. I think I'm good at 85 base strength for now, but was wondering how many points of dexterity it takes for max block with Homonculus (which is what pretty much every non-trang necromancer should be using, right?)...I think I read on an earlier thread that it was like 200 or 220 or something like that. 85 should be good for strength because I'm not "uber-rich" and can't quite afford perfect torches and annis for every character (well, I have one torch and I'm trying to get an anni, but those are for my paladin, who will most likely become a dreamdin-uber runner type character).

8. gorf

gorf IncGamers Member

I'm building a summoner w/ bone at the moment too. I've never made a bone necro before, so my expectations weren't too high. I'm surprised everyone is poo pooing them. Even with the crappy (and I mean crappy) gear I have, I'm doing just fine in hell. I use spirit to kill annoying enemies such as carver shamans. It also helps vs. ranged enemies, as most of them will go down in 3-4 spirits. Once I have better gear, I'm expecting that number to decrease to 2-3, and I'll be left with essentially the same army as my old fishy, but with a nice bone attack at the cost of the really high CE. I'm pretty happy with him..

As for your question, I would suggest decrepify and dim vision, and after that 1 in bone armour, and the rest in bone wall. Not sure what end gear you're planning on, but some points in summon resist might be helpful, if you won't have very high +skills. (sure wish I could spare a few points in resist right now)

Gorf