Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Bone/Summon hybrid planning/questions (Warning: probably longer than it needs to be)

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by JihadJesus, Apr 6, 2005.

1. JihadJesus

JihadJesus IncGamers Member

Bone/Summon hybrid planning/questions (Warning: probably longer than it needs to be)

So my current project made it to Act 3 Normal and right on schedule I thought of another build I want to try - the summon/bone hybrid. I do intend to make use of the Marrowalk glitch, so reader beware. My question is about which of my available Circlets would be best, but that'll be tough to answer without knowing more about my plans so I'll try and outline the rest of my gear & stats briefly.

Skills:

Raise Skelly - 20
    Skelly Mastery - 20
    Bone Spear - 20
    Bone Spirit - 20

1 pt each:
    CE
    Amp
    Dim Vision
    Decrep
    Lifetap
    Bone Armor/Wall
    Summon Resist & prereqs
    Revive

That's 94 skill points, clvl 82 with all quests rewards. Gear will be:

Skins of the Viper
    Marrowalk
    Arachnid Mesh
    Frostburns
    2 X BK Wedding band
    22% Mara's
    +3 Bone Spear 'White'/+3 Bone Spear 'Rhyme' voodoo head
    Arm of King Leoric/Golemlord's voodoo head (switch)

The headgear is my question. I couldn't find any FCR breakpoints, so I'm not sure if I need FCR or not. I have 4 different +2 Necro skills circlets with good mods, but it really comes down to which is more important, resists or FCR? Here are the two best, as far as I can tell.

Cruel Casque
    Circlet
    Defense: 30
    Durability: 24 of 35
    Required Level: 67
    Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
    Item Level: 87
    Fingerprint: 0x7552ade
    +50 to Attack Rating
    All Resistances +5
    Replenish Life +7
    +2 to Necromancer Skill Levels
    20% Faster Cast Rate
    14% Chance to cast Level 5 Charged Bolt when struck

Eagle Brow
    Coronet
    Defense: 80
    Durability: 19 of 30
    Required Level: 67
    Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
    Item Level: 86
    Fingerprint: 0x85bdca18
    +1 to Energy
    +97% Enhanced Defense
    All Resistances +18
    3% Life stolen per hit
    +2 to Necromancer Skill Levels

What are your thoughts guys? On the build (did I miss something obvious?) or on the gear as well.

2. cft

cft IncGamers Member

I've had a similar character, but with worse gear. :) My necro was hardcore, so I spent more on Dex for blocking, and Vit for life than you might.

But it meant that I spent very little (none at all) on energy. I found that I really didn't have enough mana to really chain-cast bone spears. A couple sure, but not 20-30 at a time, or even 12-15 at a time.

I found that, compared to my army of lvl ~30 skeletons, my bone spells were not really changing my kill speed that much, vs most monsters. I was able to do some good, and for certain monsters it was a help, but a lot of time it was more for me to keep amused, rather than just standing back and watching the army.

With the white wand and with Marrowwalks, you will have more damage on bone spear than I did, and you may have a larger mana pool than I did.

My advice would be to stick to Amp for damage, and Decrepify when you need to mix damage and defense. Lower resist might increase your bone spear damage (I'm not actually sure), but even if so, not having Amp / Decrepify will probably cost your skeletons more damage, than you would gain.

Still, I think it should be a fairly successful and fun build. Most people's problems with summonmancers is that they feel it's boring to watch your army kill. With bone spear you can keep involved...

3. Kaptain_Insano

Kaptain_Insano IncGamers Member

I patted a summon/bone hybrid a while back. I preferred to use CE in the end after spending all those points in bone and synergies. I went with spear by the way. I prefer the poison summon hybrid i am working on. If I could redo it I wouldn't have gone bone and i used marrows as well.

Cheers K

Good luck with your build :)

4. Fafner

Fafner IncGamers Member

I have both a poison/summoner and a bonemancer with only golem. Using Dim Vision + golem + merc doesn't need crowd control, and he does huge magic damage. I just don't think skeletons get it done at higher players settings.

That said magic immunes will be a lot faster for a summoner, and this build should be pretty easy to finish the game with. I like the first circlet with fast cast but check your break points.

5. sunbearie

sunbearie IncGamers Member

Looking at the necro forum,

125% FCR = 09 FPC
    075% FCR = 10 FPC
    048% FCR = 11 FPC
    030% FCR = 12 FPC
    018% FCR = 13 FPC
    009% FCR = 14 FPC
    000% FCR = 15 FPC

You have 20(belt)+30(armour)+20(wand) which gets you to 10FPC. The first circlet gets you to the next breakpt so you can just use that.

If you want the second circlet for resists, then switch out the frosties for magefist/trangs. You can also switch out the BK rings with SoJs for more mana.

Using the first circlet+20%fastcast gloves+crafted caster ammy(15% fast cast) gets you to the last breakpt.

6. JihadJesus

JihadJesus IncGamers Member

It looks like the relevant breakpoints are at
    48 FCR = 11 frames
    75 FCR = 10 frames
    125 FCR = 9 frames

With no changes in the other gear I'd need the FCR on the circlet to hit the 10 frame breakpoint. The other option would be to go with the resists on the circlet and switch one of the BKs for a 10 FCR/5 resist all rare ring I have, but then I lose a skill. Or I could just go with 11 frames and not worry about it, but sitting only 5 FCR off a breakpoint seems like a waste. Hmmm...

7. isengart

isengart IncGamers Member

I have never had a bone build yet but out of intuition I'd go for the FCR. - You have skellies out so you should not get hit too often. This build should work similar to the fishymancer and there you don't have to care about resis too much... So I'd go the FCR-path

8. crazy_bear

crazy_bear IncGamers Member

A bit late but I agree that you should go with the FCR Circlet. With your socketing quest you could add an UM if you need more resists.

You should do decent spear damage with the marrowwalks, so I think this build will be pretty successful. Reviewing points already posted here, I'd like to reiterate that curses (both the AI curses and decrep/amp) will make a huge difference to making your char effective.

That's some nice gear... should be an easy trip through hell with that set up.

Good luck!

9. Fafner

Fafner IncGamers Member

Because of gloams and FE/LE bolts make sure you can make up the resistances with charms. I hate getting fried by a boss pack of those things. If you can do this go to 10 frame. You can find jewels with up to 15% res. all to socket in it if you don't want to burn an Um (were it me, I'd be hardpressed to burn an Um for a helm for only 1 type of char).