Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Bone Spear Vs. Bone Spirit

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Yukii, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Yukii

Yukii IncGamers Member

Bone Spear Vs. Bone Spirit

Which one do you think is better?? I know that in most situations, it is better to use a combination of both to achieve the best results but I personally think

Spear > Spirit

1) More Damage than Spirit at higher lvls
    2) Less Mana Cost
    3) Alot faster

The spirit's auto-tracking is helpful but I dont see why most necros in pub games prefer to use bone spirit over spear. They brag about their spirit damage and how it'll "pwnzorz me" but when we meet face to face, while they cast 3~4 spirits that starts to head toward me, couple of my bonespears have already hit them and kills them.

I see necro builds nowdays and they name spirit as the "primary skill" and name spear as the "secondary skill" (Btw, if I see that in any necro guide, I regard that guide as noobish and stop reading it)
    It should be the other way around. Spear - Primary, Spirit - Seconadry

But what do I know...Im just a noob o_O

2. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Depends on what you want to accomplish. When I use either skill it is usually as a support skill. I found that Spear suits my needs. Personal preference I guess.

3. ReD VeNDeTTa

ReD VeNDeTTa IncGamers Member

i prefer both, when i pk some1 i usually try and lower resist them then fire 2-4 spirits then while their running away from the spirits i can get good angles 4 my spear, cuz personly i like both of them, why settle with one?? :scratch:

4. Pallidum

Pallidum IncGamers Member

See thats basically wrong. Its very difficult to break things down in "primary" and "secondary" attacks. You're a bonemancer, that means your "primary" attack are bone spells. Spirit, spear, bonewall, and even teeth have their uses in duels.

Successful pvpers adapt to every situation. Try hitting good fast teleing sorcs with spear, its almost impossible. In situations like these, spirits and teeth become the "primary" attacks. Heres another situation. Charging pallies, bone wall and spear becomes the primary weapon here. Different duels calls for different weapons and tactics. Its amateurish to lump everything into "primary", and "secondary" attacks.

5. ReD VeNDeTTa

yeh i agree, diff stuff for diff situations, like one thing u can do, is bone prison or wall armond them then lower resistm' and use watever primary skill is strongest (or not)

6. Mad Mantis

LR doesn't work with magic damage!

This 60 sec delay is starting to piss me off!

7. ReD VeNDeTTa

yes it does, o wait, forgot it doesnt lower magic resist no more nvm then. still usefull in wiht magic resist monsters but that isnt the point

8. gvandale

gvandale IncGamers Member

how many times have i seen this?

And then of course comes this reply from someone with 5 freakin posts:

HOLY BAJEEBUS BATMAN, YOU MEAN THIS ISN'T 1.09 STILL?

g

9. ReD VeNDeTTa

wats posts have to do with the game?? and did u bohter to read the rest of the post? dumass i said nvm... :yawn:

10. ShadoweOrbe

ShadoweOrbe IncGamers Member

o_O

If you are a bone necro, depending on your flavor you should have both maxed out eventually. I'd go with spirit, moreso when you take monster regeneration into account.

I really should play this game again...

11. det

det IncGamers Member

So what is it now?...I am pretty sure the info at Arreat Summit states that LR does NOT work with Bone Spirit/spear.

IIRC the higher you get your Spear level, the closer the damage comes to Spirit. AND it has the advantage of piercing (well, its an advantage in PvM, not so much in PvP).

Since lv 25 Teeth is attainable, with 2 synergies you can have 24 teeth with 300 damage..again, probably better for large masses of monsters than in PvP.

Why do I max Teeth?..Well I hope to find Marrowwalks one day, and of course I want to exploit the bug :lol:

Oh, Red vendetta...its just nicer if people proof-read their posts..and don't call people names. I don't think it goes down well with the moderators..and sure does not go down well with the people you flame ;)

12. Moridin

Moridin IncGamers Member

At slvl 47, my Spears are doing 6100 while Spirit does 6000, Spear also has less mana cost so I tend to use it more often. However, I almost always start out with Bone Spirits, to put pressure, and for defensive players (Spear sniping is hard...) that like to stay off your screen. For close up duels, I'd prefer Spear to Spirit. Oh and don't forgot Teeth, mine is doing 1600 and it is hella fun to spam teeth and see people helplessly trying to get past the stun to inch towards you.

Almost impossible, not still achievable :). You need mad timing though...click RIGHT before they teleport, what will happen is you are about to fire the Spear, they teleport, and then the Necro switches directions right as they teleport to fire the Spear at the new location. If the opposing player is close enough, they will not have time for another teleport before that beautiful shaft of Bone Spear pierces through, stunning and allowing for more to follow, as well as that beautiful cry of agony as they die.

...I think I've been dueling too much...time to make a MF character :lol: .

13. jren

jren IncGamers Member

Agreed 100%
    Depends on the type of character you are dueling, the surroundings around you and your opponents tactics. Try using spear against good blizz sorcs, you will get ***** if you only use spear.

I used to think exactly how the original poster thought, spear > spirit because of speed, mana etc., however once i started dueling more and more, i found out that i coudn't just say "ok, im gonna use x as primary and y as secondary" before the match started. Hell, sometimes even teeth serves its purpose! Duel more and you will know what we mean.

It's nice that you are actually analyzing which is more effective, some newbs just say spirit is better because it has higher spell and auto targets and don't even consider the advantages of spear. GJ :thumbsup:

14. jren

jren IncGamers Member

oh yea, definitely possible to use only spear. however, why make it difficult for urself if you can just set up spirit/teeth fields?

IM wit ya bro, time to make a MF character =/

15. Mad Mantis

It does NOT work with MAGIC damage.

16. gvandale

I read the rest of your post which is as pointless as the other 10 you have already. The point of looking at post counts is when someone posts some silly bit of info that has 5 posts, you kinda understand that the poster is just misinformed. So your posts have an affect on the thought that lower post count = less knowledgeable.

this is not always true, but in your case rings true as heck!

g

p.s.
    try not bypassing the word filter. quick way to get temp / perm banned.

17. tinncann25

tinncann25 IncGamers Member

Moridon how the hell do u do 6000 damage with spear? I dont even do half that

wat do u wear?

sry of topic :thanks:

18. gvandale

shako
    maras
    enigma
    2x sojs or bk rings
    arachnid
    'white' wand
    marrowalks
    +3 darkforce
    10 pnb gc's

abuse marrow bug, 0 bone prison, max all other synergies.

spear: 6398-6713 for 19.2 mana
    spirit: 6119-6507 for 36.5 mana

nice :yep:

g

19. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

1000 posts hasn't made you much smarter gvandale, but atleast you've finally figured that bypassing the word filter is bad

20. Hatebreed.

Hatebreed. IncGamers Member

belive it or not that how i usually spell it, been awhile since ive been on forums and forgot all that censor bypass *crap*, u kinda made me mad cuz made an insult and stating ur point, coulda jsut said somethin like "no matter wat ppl say it doesnt multiply dmg" or somethin, neways

when ur nec is high lvl if u can get it use boneshade "uniq lich wand"

if u havnt seen it heres the stats (i dunno if this is spam or not)
    50% dmg to undead
    +2 all nec skills
    1-2 spirit
    2-3 spear
    2-3 bonewall
    4-5 bone armour
    4-5 teeth
    25% FCR req. lvl 79 tho....