Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Bone Spear/Summon OR summon/corpse explo

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Ryanl, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Ryanl

Ryanl IncGamers Member

Bone Spear/Summon OR summon/corpse explo

Im on ladder hc and i dont know whether to make a bone spear/ summon nec or a summon/corpse explo. If i make the corpse explosion i dont wanan hassle with all the minions, mainly i just want plain skels. Also, with all the + skills i could get, corpse explosion may be very high. Im leaning towards BS because you can get pretty high damage and then just use skels. What do u think?

2. Tyrranades

Tyrranades IncGamers Member

I've been experimenting with a few different build styles, my latest was a summon/poison and I wasn't too impressed so I'm going down this same path..

Since CE is a requirement to get Bone spear just leave it at one. I imagine you'll be going for a full synergy (max skel mastery/skellies, summon resist, few curses then the rest in bone) so it is a true bone spear and not a bone pretzel.

While a nice wide radius CE is great, you still get a lot of the destructive power from the low level and +skills gear. Some advocate a 20 point overlay in this skill for a summoner but I found it to be equally effective with a lower punch and a few uses of attract. If you can get the legions of hell to turn on each other, then pan a quick CE in the midst, you've got a weakened nucleus that your army of darkness can pour into when they slay the front rank.

There is also another issue... bone spear isn't brain-surgery but its got more style and finesse than just blasting corpse after corpse, thats just plain boring.

Just my two skulls, I'm sure many will disagree..

3. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Welcome Newcomer to The Darkness. Grab a brew :drink: and feel free to raise some corpses.

What seems more fun to you? Play that build. If you can't decide between the two different builds then you can take a look at some of the differences in the builds.

A plain Skelliemancer with CE is easy to play without any gear whatsoever. If you want decent killing speed in Hell you'll need to find yourself some +skills. You can usually get all the gear you need via gambling and monster drops. It can be a rather passive build and some people don't like just cursing and casting Clay.

Bone/Summon-hybrids tend to be much more gear intensive. You’ll need some nice gear to get good damage from your Bone attacks and to have a decent cast rate.

@ Tyrranades: Welcome Newcomer to The Darkness. Grab a brew :drink: and feel free to raise some corpses.

4. sequoia

sequoia IncGamers Member

bone spear in hell is very weak unless you can really get its synergies up to par, which i doubt you will bea ble to do being a summoner

i'd go with CE

5. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

If you use the marrow bug, no problem with PNB synergies and I really don't think it's a bad skill without if you get enough +skills since you can still put around 70 points into bone skills with 1/20 SM/RS for the skeletons. You will want White and some decent FCR though.

6. Ryanl

Ryanl IncGamers Member

well i dont plan on maxing summon resist first of all, just fighting skels and the mastery , that way i can rly pump up the bs, but i also plan on using arm of king leoric instead, even tho i have a 3bs wand rdy to be whited. i think with good enough items i should be in good shape doing hell and such. thanks for your help :clap:

7. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

People often forget that they have TWO weaponslots. I use my switch for MF (Gull vs. AoKL), but for a Hybrid using two wands is certainly a viable option.

For a bonemancer (or hybrid with bone) I would think more than twice before giving up the +8 to bonespear a White wand provides.

8. Ryanl

Ryanl IncGamers Member

You make a valid point....However compare +8 to bone spear and +2 to all summon 3 to raise skel and 3 to mast as well as +2 to psn and bone. Also, i pplan on having a few gcs. i have 1 at the moment. I think it is more important for my skels to kick some butt rather than a bone spear that does a lot especially when im too lazy to bs the monsters. also, I think i will use ur mfing idea, especially when my skels kill andy, meph or cowing. Again, you said u use gull and what? Im not familiar with all shortcuts for names. Thanks for your input

9. sequoia

sequoia IncGamers Member

AoKL = arm of king leoric, the unique summoning wand

10. Ryanl

Ryanl IncGamers Member

I have one more question. I read somewhere that the ebst merc for a summon nec is act 2 OFFENSIVE. Does it add that much dmg with the aura or it is better to have a defensive which will also give me defense. Also, i will have a cta, so im thinking offensive might be the way to go. If so, should i just load the merc up with defensive things so he doesnt die. All of my merc seem to stink :confused:

11. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

It really does add a lot of damage and is needed to make Skellies do a reasonable amount of damage. It depends a bit on how you want to use your Skellies. If you want them to do damage you need the Might Merc. If you want to concentrate on your own Bone damage you can go with another Merc.

12. batuchka

batuchka IncGamers Member

Well i have a bone/summon mf necro and he has a might merc tagging along and merc has an 'Insight' weapon so skellies/revives get might aura while necro gets 600%+ mana regen from Mediation Aura from Insight when i am spearing/spiriting/CEing baddies :p As a rough idea i just slap on a tal's mask and duriels shell with that Insight in ethereal colo voulge on merc and he only dies to iron maiden :D

13. Ryanl

Ryanl IncGamers Member

Might = offensive 2 nm merc?
    right..
    and how would a merc improve my bone damage, just cruious

14. batuchka

batuchka IncGamers Member

No merc could improve your bone damage :( No aura/curse in the game enhances magical damage except the hammerdin's concentration+hammer combo. The idea is to have a merc (plus minions if your build incorporates them) that tanks for you while you aim spears and spirits on monsters :p Insight's awesome aura means you could shoot off plenty of these bone spells w/o constantly gulping down mana potions. Yes might merc = nightmare offensive :D

15. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

AoKL = Arm of King Leoric... and it seems you didn't read my point :)

If I were to make a bone/summon hybrid (I might... I want to do a bonemancer, but not quite sure about the details yet), I would think twice before giving it any other weapon setup than "White" and "Arm of King Leoric" to switch around. Most likely both switches would get Homunculus as shield, at least until I find a +3 summoning head to go with the AoKL.

For a "pure" bonemancer I wouldn't have anything that "has" to go into the weaponswitch, so I might go for Gull again, trying to shoot the last few spears/spirits with that switch active for selected targets.

Maybe you have a reason not use the weaponswitch, or maybe you're just not used to it --- I see a lot of players without mercs or their castable minions (like amazons without valks...), and I generally tend to assume that these players are either playing an entirely different game, or they aren't used to working with minions. Same goes for weaponswitch, but that's not easily visible from the outside, so I don't know whether players use it or not.