Bolton to step down at end of recess appointment

Talga Vasternich

Diabloii.Net Member
article said:
Critics have questioned Bolton's brusque style and whether he could be an effective bureaucrat who could force reform at the U.N.
effective bureaucrat?

Isn't that a contradiction of terms?

PatMaGroin

Diabloii.Net Member
good it's about time Micheal Bolton stopped making music...yuck!!!
I'll be honest with you, I love his music, I do, I'm a Michael Bolton fan. For my money, I don't know if it gets any better than when he sings "When a Man Loves a Woman".

skihard

Banned
I'd like to same something good about that, but I got notta, really I'm as speechless as anyone could possibly be after reading those to posts. *shudder*

WildBerry

Diabloii.Net Member
And they used the words "UN" and "effective" in the same sentence too.
Please point me out to the inefficiencies of UNICEF and show me an organisation that does a better job. I hear constant nilly-willying about the UN's bleak political performances and failed organisation of aid, but I've yet to see anyone actually point to, say, ILO or UNICEF, actually failing in absolutely anything.

I do know they're not without a fault, yes. But please confess that the individual suborganisations are not doing that bad of a job. Or at least give me something to work with.

Syxx

Diabloii.Net Member
I'll be honest with you, I love his music, I do, I'm a Michael Bolton fan. For my money, I don't know if it gets any better than when he sings "When a Man Loves a Woman".
Hi Pat,

Otis Redding does a much better version of "When a Man Loves a Woman".

Regards
Syxx

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Please point me out to the inefficiencies of UNICEF and show me an organisation that does a better job. I hear constant nilly-willying about the UN's bleak political performances and failed organisation of aid, but I've yet to see anyone actually point to, say, ILO or UNICEF, actually failing in absolutely anything.

I do know they're not without a fault, yes. But please confess that the individual suborganisations are not doing that bad of a job. Or at least give me something to work with.
Nothing else would work either, because none of the signatories will ever want to give an organisation like the UN real teeth.

bladesyz

Diabloii.Net Member

The UN's effectiveness was destroyed by the US's unilateral invasion of Iraq. The US accused the UN of ineffectivity to lend legitimacy to their actions, and the fact that the US went ahead with their invasion cemented that accusation in the eyes of the world.

Nothing else would work either, because none of the signatories will ever want to give an organisation like the UN real teeth.
Keep in mind that the FIRST and topmost priority of the UN is to prevent a repetition of the World Wars. So far, it's been doing a pretty good job of that.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Keep in mind that the FIRST and topmost priority of the UN is to prevent a repetition of the World Wars. So far, it's been doing a pretty good job of that.
Bah, the only reason that hasn't happened is that no-one has wanted one. If the UN were transported back to the 1930s or 1940s it would be no more effective than the League of Nations.