Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Blood Golem?

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Naja, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Naja

Naja IncGamers Member

Blood Golem?

I know that they were hella nerfed, and it's probably damn ineffecient to use them, but if I were to use one just for novelty's sake, what would be the optimum skills/equipment I would need to maximize its usage, and minimize my chance of well...dying?

Preferably for a Poison build.

2. Grobyc

Grobyc IncGamers Member

A summon build actually because you'll have a lot more distraction. I still highly suggest against it because you'll lose a lot of hp when it dies and that will happen pretty often in Hell if you don't spend every last point to pump it, and even then I can't garuntee that it won't die.

A poison build would need to Lower Resist so you can't use other curses which would keep your guys alive, i.e. Decrepify, Attract, etc.

3. Sszark

Sszark IncGamers Member

I highly recommend against this. As an avid Golemancer, I can verify that Blood is total crap. Lowest life, negligible damage, and you take damage when he gets hit. Also, he does not leech from the monster's total health like it says in the Arreat Summit, he leeches only the damage he does, which will be pathetic even with max firegolem.

4. Growlor

Growlor IncGamers Member

They just nerfed him too much.

I really don't understand the basis for it either as he was NOT overpowered to begin with. My favorite necro (lvl 99 summoner) has a lvl 40 BG (it was sort of his thing) and its just useless now.

Growlor

5. leddan

leddan IncGamers Member

Agreed. There wasn't much of a reason to kill off the good ol IM/BG combo that's been used since D2 Classic. Made a lotta old Necros into a lotta new Hell Mules :(

6. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

It wouldn't have made much of a difference if they had given BG a decent amount of damage. But we are stuck with this thing that can't even put a dent is a stick of butter.

7. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

Actually, Blood Golem is the most damaging summon in the game. It's just a shame that all that damage is going to you.

8. rickcarson

rickcarson IncGamers Member

Ouch! *meow*

Nice one! :D

-----

For the original poster:

Blood Golem might work best with a melee/poison dagger type of build. I highly recommend getting a prayer merc, plus a decent bone armour (either by prebuff or points into wall/prison), plus lots of regen life items.
    You might consider Life Tap as a curse (it'll work much better than life leech). I'd also be more keen on pumping those skills than putting extra points into the BG. 60 in poison doesn't leave a lot of room for much else.

You don't have to use LT all the time, just flick over to it occassionally... the rest of the time use amp/dec/lr or whatever else floats yer boat (DV? DV might be the best choice for a melee based build...)

9. Sszark

Sszark IncGamers Member

Yes it would have. All the reasonable damage in the world can't make up for the fact that the harder the monsters try to kill you, the more you stay alive.

1.09 BG >>>>>>> Level 40 Bear

10. rickcarson

I think you misread MM's post. What I think he was saying was that they took away what made BG good in 1.09 but didn't replace it with anything (eg actually doing decent attack damage), and so now when you look at all the Golems they each have something that will make you want one except the Blood Golem. If I can think of an example, its like the Twister/Tornado problem... past level 24 there's no reason to use Twister ever.

Mad Mantis was simply proposing that they give the BG *something*, *anything*, to make it semi-useful again. Giving it decent damage is simply an example of how it could have been made competitive against the other 1.10 golems, not against its previous version.

Of course, if they gave the Blood Golem decent damage, then that would make the Fire Golem a lot less appealing (and its already pretty marginal).

11. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Thanks rickcarson, that was indeed what I meant. All the Golems could use a bit more work. All they are now are walking Bone Walls.

12. rickcarson

Well I think that the Clay Golem is pretty good as is.

Blood is of course terrible.

For Iron I'd add the weapons base damage to the golem's base damage, then if I found a semi decent elite I could lay some smack down. The IGs problem is that there isn't any compelling reason to put more than one point into it (but then about half the necro skills are like that anyway). And the proccing is pretty cool.

For Fire... its interesting as it is the 'high damage' or 'offensive' golem... but its clearly not enough to base a character around. But still, if they removed the cap on its Holy Fire, and fixed its absorb that would be a good start.

The synegies are stuffed up... Fire Golem should add +damage, not +enhanced damage, ideally before the other golems own +ed% is calculated in. That'd make them work better with party auras too.

What they should do is make Blood Golem's damage transfer one way only - that any damage done to the Necro is split between himself and the Blood Golem. For Softcore if would still suck, but Hardcore players might then have a use for it. Particularly if the % of damage transfered increased with higher levels (a bit like Energy Shield)

13. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

The blood golem may be useful if they nuked the life sharing ability and gave the bugger open wounds. I don't think that would be too inbalanced, since his AR is kinda crappy and he'll be completely dependant on clvl for his CTH. Bumping up his leach would be a plus too, but the usually incorrect Arreat Summit is confusing me.

Um...wtf?

Well making an assumption that that's wrong and a level 20 blood golem won't steal 681,307 life from Hell Ladder Baal per hit, and will steal at most 155 life before leach penalties...I don't think something like fixing blood golem's leach to be something like, 500%ish would be imbalanced, because your talking about such crappy damage/attack speed, and the blood share ability will be gone...