Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Blocking

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Ward, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Ward

Ward IncGamers Member

Blocking

well from the new video release today it appears blocking is completely different for shields now from d2.

check out the video around 3:12 you will see the shield lists

Buckler -Off Hand
    78Armor
    Chance to Block +25%
    Block Amount: 6-10

Block Amount?? ok if this is what i think it means this is a drastic change.

from Arreat Summit
    "Blocking always works against physical attacks. 75% Blocking will indeed stop 75% of attacks from hitting, regardless of whether you are attacking, or standing, or whatnot. Note: that if a player is moving, the block percentage is reduced to 1/3rd of its original value. Think of it as "resist physical."

block amount 6-10 could means if you have a successful block then only 6-10 point of damage are negated

if this is the case blocking looks absolutely awful, but since we have no facts im only making a guess. Please chime in and add some observations please.

2. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

Re: Blocking

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooold.

Yes, they nerfed blocking from being an absolute defense that effectively quadruples your life expectancy to something that is properly scalable and easily balanced. Blocking is only awful if they make it so. Otherwise, it is an excellent source of damage reduction assuming the stats are made to keep up with the monster damage output.

3. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

It's block + DR at once. We used SS as it is, so this is fine, IMO.

4. sirroman

sirroman IncGamers Member

I don't see that much of a problem. It would make the +DR actually useful. Nowadays its just something that you don't care or that you made a special build to use or something like that. Whatever.

5. Kingu

Kingu IncGamers Member

As far I remember from old panels, it is similar to the way blocking is in, your hateful, wow:
    You have chance to block certain amount of damage, not nullify all like in D2.
    So if a fallen is attacking you it may actually not take damage, but it won't happen if the devil himself hits you.

And it is not that awful just don't think about it with D2 in mind, and with health globes, not so common bottles and without leech and rejuvenation.

6. kavlor

kavlor IncGamers Member

This isn't D2 so just because it would seem awful in the D2 mechanics doesn't mean it will be in D3 as its likely to be balanced around this,maybe more frequent hits but lower damage.Actually I see it as better as for one it makes getting hit less unpredictable,it makes 2H weapons more viable and it makes shields a more interesting trade item(Like Pally shields are now in D2).

7. Moonfrost

Moonfrost IncGamers Member

We have no clue as to whether block chance/amount will scale with character stats/skills but it's fairly obvious that it'll scale with shield quality. Seeing as the buckler is typically the lowest quality shield available in RPGs, 6-10 seems to be a reasonable value.

8. Ward

Ward IncGamers Member

yeah i can see the argument, i'm just so used to 75% blocking, but like konfeta said after the (slightly uncivil and unnecessary jab at me for not being up with the current info with her "ooooold" comment) makes a valid point that as long as "it is an excellent source of damage reduction assuming the stats are made to keep up with the monster damage output."

otherwise a measly 6-10 damage absorbed with only a 25% chance of it happening seems ridiculous at high level.

BTW i have never played WoW so is this the kind of block mechanic it uses as well, and does it work well? Thanks again for answers troops.

BTW i plan on playing the Barbarian and maybe the Monk with Shields, ive just always love sword and board builds.

9. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

i am sure it will be balanced. no way it will be 6-10 in the end game but it also wont be a situation where you are taking 0 damage every 3 out 4 hits