Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Blocking

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by ShaiTanZul, May 19, 2005.

1. ShaiTanZul

ShaiTanZul IncGamers Member

Blocking

I am making an Avenger pala (lvl 75 atm) and I want to improve my blocking.
    How should I do that? What is the needed 'faster block rate' and 'chance to block' for optimal blocking?
    (I am equiped with enigma and herald of zakarum, dex=50)

2. Day

Day IncGamers Member

The maximum chance you can have to block is 75%.

Your chance to block depends on your shield's base blocking, any special modifiers on the shield or other equipment eg Hoz has 30% increased blocking Twitchtoe or Guardian Angel also add tothe blocking, dexterity and level.

As you increase in level your chance to block decreases (there is, if you like, a level penalty) so you need either a better shield with better base blocking, new equipement with increased blocking or more dex. The Hoz has a very high base blocking percentage of 82%. I doubt you will want to switch out the Enigma so there is not much you can do equipement wise.

The paldadin's holy shield skill also modifies the base blocking. If you don't have this get a point (or more but it has strong diminishing returns in respect of boosting your block).

You can also increase a shield's blocking by socketing an eld rune (plus 7%) but I think this would be a waste for a Hoz better off with something to add to resists eg pdiamond or um

After that the only way to increase your block chance is dexterity either from items, charms or stat points. Bear in mind that every time you level you'll need to check your percentage chance to block and adjust - its usually about 1-2 points per level of dexterity required.

HOz also increases the speed at which you block. There are tables for this but for pvm at least i wouldn't worry about it! PVP may be different but i don't play it. A Shael in the shield will increase block speed but I very much doubt its worth it for the Hoz!!

3. Weltkriegpally

Weltkriegpally IncGamers Member

Day gives a very accurate analysis of the blocking modifiers. One thing he forgot to mention is that with holy shield, no matter what shield you use, you have a 2 fpb. that is to say, you are already *much* faster than any other class, and if you want to improve that, you need 86 fbr to get to 1 fpb. hardly worth it. if you aren't a smiter or a pvp depending on defense, 11 to 14 total (thats with +skills), holy shield is more than enough. Given your listed gear, thats like 5 points base. My suggestion:: Add the few to holy shield, and then just add the dex as you need it. If you already have your stats placed, get a good rare ring with +dex, or use a ravenfrost (gives up to 20), etc. It can really help you out.

--welt

4. Day

Day IncGamers Member

Weltkriegpally- I didn't know that Holy Shield gave you a 2 fpb! I guess that's the real reason I'm still playing D2 after all this time there really is so much to it.

Cheers.

Day

5. ShaiTanZul

ShaiTanZul IncGamers Member

Well.. I have allready maxed Holy Shield, not only for the blocking but also for the big defense bonus. It does not only raise your shield's defense but it raises your total defense so it's a nice boost.

And if I understand you right you're saying that 75 chance to block is not that important for PVM? Or what would you suggest?

I found the following formulae:
    block chance = (blocking * (DEX-15)) / (2 * Clvl)
    (blocking = shield block + holy shield bonus)
    This means that if I want 75 chance to block at lvl 90 I would need 129 DEX. You think this is worth it?

6. tinncann25

tinncann25 IncGamers Member

definitly worth it ur taking about 1/4 of all melee attacks when walking or standing that is huge

sorcs max block with ~180-200 dex i think pallys can handle ~130 dex

7. Day

Day IncGamers Member

On a 1 handed melee character I'd definitely max block for pvm

8. cotton

cotton IncGamers Member

It's so easy with HoZ and HS, there is really not a good excuse not to max block, IMHO.

Day, can't increased blocking (or faster block rate, or both, brain is cloudy in the morning) spawn on crafted ammies? I haven't seen one, but seem to recall reading it somewhere--one of the pally guides, maybe?

9. batuchka

batuchka IncGamers Member

Safety Amulet recipe, taken from Arreat Summit:

Magic Amulet
    Thul Rune
    Perfect Emerald
    Any Jewel

Auto-mods:
    + (1-10)% Increased Chance Of Blocking
    Magic Damage Reduced By (1-2)
    Damage Reduced By (1-4)

I really wish to experiment with this ammy recipe but for a zealot you'd be giving up ds as if one equip's this ammy then highlords's has to go :( However for druids this could be a great way to increase their naturally low blocking rates :D