Blocking questions

abel

Diabloii.Net Member
Blocking questions

What is Faster Block Rate, and how will having more of it affect my character sorc (as shown in the table on this page)? Does that just mean the animation is faster, like having faster hit recovery? And also, is the Stygian doll's explosion physical damage, and if so, does that mean it can be blocked?

thegiantturtle

Diabloii.Net Member
abel said:
What is Faster Block Rate, and how will having more of it affect my character sorc (as shown in the table on this page)? Does that just mean the animation is faster, like having faster hit recovery?
It's just like fhr if you have a 5 frame block, you spend 5 frames blocking.

abel said:
And also, is the Stygian doll's explosion physical damage, and if so, does that mean it can be blocked?
Their explosion damage is physical and my experience says it can be blocked, but...I don't always trust my eyes and ears when it comes to this game.

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator
thegiantturtle said:
It's just like fhr if you have a 5 frame block, you spend 5 frames blocking.

Their explosion damage is physical and my experience says it can be blocked, but...I don't always trust my eyes and ears when it comes to this game.
My experience says the same. However, my experience also says when one of my characters is sorrounded by dolls and he starts a multi-attack skill (zeal, WW) or a mass destruction spell (FO), he just needs a little bad luck and blow too much blocking rolls and he will die. If you are amped (-100% to physical resistance), it will be even worse. I'm not sure if the explosion gets enhanced by boss auras like might.

It can be quite thrilling to see my zealot attacking lifetapped dolls in Baal's throne room, his life bulb going down to 10% and up to 90% within a split of a second. In that case I normally decide to switch to parking them or, because dolls are a little difficult to park, abort the Baal run.

monte cristo

Diabloii.Net Member
My experience, again, tells that it can be blocked. Just remember to kill one at a time, cause you can't possibly block 2-5 independant blows at the same time. I think only of one character that could possibly do that: holy shield griswald set pally. He can have blocking at 1 frame and with a bit of luck he can block each and every blow he takes from them.

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator
The monsters will do their explosion at the same time only if they die at the same time. A paladin with 0% FBR already has 5 frames block speed which is the maximum zeal speed. Holy shield will give him 2 frame block speed at 0%FBR and 1 frame at 86%FBR. If the only attacks to be blocked are the death explosions, a zealot with base blocking and holy shield being active will never have a blocking speed problem. The chance of a single melee attack causing the explosion not to have a chance to get blocked is 40%*50%=20%.

RTB

Diabloii.Net Member
krischan said:
A paladin with 0% FBR already has 5 frames block speed which is the maximum zeal speed.
Nitpicking: Maximum Zeal speed is 4 frames per attack. :p
If the only attacks to be blocked are the death explosions, a zealot with base blocking and holy shield being active will never have a blocking speed problem.
Being in a blocking animation doesn't change the block chance at all, you can still block, but the animation won't be played.

Leohappy

Diabloii.Net Member
RTB said:
Being in a blocking animation doesn't change the block chance at all, you can still block, but the animation won't be played.
This is what the 1.10 section in file "Patch.txt" has to say about blocking:

"- Block lock' has been eliminated. When a player character has just
blocked an attack, the player cannot block again for a short period of
time, the length of which increases as Blocking speed increases."

:scratch:

abel

Diabloii.Net Member
Leohappy said:

So does that mean I don't want FBR? That makes no sense.. :(

OxxyJoe

Diabloii.Net Member
abel said:
So does that mean I don't want FBR? That makes no sense.. :(
well, the sooner the block animation is over, the sooner you can run away or continue swinging. So blocking being this "75% damage reduction" is wrong, since you cannot block several attacks that are in quick succession.

for the dolls, i use my merc... he doesnt seem to take dmg from the explosions. doesnt always work though... if he gets surrounded then he's toast.

RTB

Diabloii.Net Member
Leohappy said:

It's fortunately false information. As I said the blocking animation won't be restarted while blocking, which is what caused the original block lock problem.

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator
RTB said:
Nitpicking: Maximum Zeal speed is 4 frames per attack. :p
Correct, of course

RTB said:
Nitpicking: I assume you mean block rate, not block chance - although the block chance isn't affected as well, just like the chance for the sun going supernova. :p :p

Myrakh-2

Diabloii.Net Member
krischan said:
Nitpicking: I assume you mean block rate, not block chance - although the block chance isn't affected as well, just like the chance for the sun going supernova. :p :p
This may sound like nitpicking, but how do you know the chance for the sun going supernova tomorrow at 5:47 isn't affected?