Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Block/Vita and why?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by batuchka, Jun 4, 2005.

1. batuchka

batuchka IncGamers Member

Block/Vita and why?

Hi all! I am new to sorc class and having read threads i am still unsure which route to go both for PvM and PvP :( The usual idea for both these routes are :

1) Sorc = Caster with tele so depending on block for survival is illogical
    2) No block and tele into nasty baddies = gg
    3) Block = Less life
    4) Block = Cut %hits from melee in PvP

Anyone could share their views on this issue? Thks in advance :D

2. Bigrob

Bigrob Banned

all pvp sorcs need block unless u only use ur sorc against other casters.

no block in melee = gg for u.

3. Shaven Monkee

Shaven Monkee IncGamers Member

Block>vita

Why?

Taking one 1/4 the hits makes what ever life you do have last 3/4 longer.

Some spells require you getting closer than others, ie... F.Orb.
    It has such a short range you are required to get close to use it to it's full potential.

Also constantly using Tele can get really dangerous..Tele into a crowd and die instantly with no block...versus...getting a 3/4 chance to Tele out of the mess and live to fight another day.

The only thing you need to worry ranged attacks or elemental attacks...in particular Gloams, but good Res or Absorb will take care of them.

Also if you Tele all the time..you will NEVER level your merc...he has to kill if he is to level...he gets nearly DOUBLE experience if he does as well! Your gonna hafta stand back and fling him some support, putting your magical arse in jeopardy but with Max block you can rest more at ease.

4. Liliel

Liliel IncGamers Member

It depends on your build, and what exactly you'll be using it for. For some builds it may be preferable to use Lidless Wall, for which you just won't have the stat points to make a good block rate.

5. xeyloderixed

xeyloderixed IncGamers Member

no reason not to max block with a good shield. see shaven's post and add this:

sorks do not run, they tele. so thile standing/teleing you still get the full 75% block (unlike characters who run; the max block they can achieve is 25%)

6. Shaven Monkee

Shaven Monkee IncGamers Member

True True...

7. batuchka

batuchka IncGamers Member

Gee thks all :D Very good points and shall go with max or at least close to max block depending on base %block on shield. Will prolly make a sorc for PvM and i've been practising tele with my bone/summon mf necro with nigma hehe

8. High Lord Bunbun

High Lord Bunbun IncGamers Member

If you are going to pvp, no block, all vit. First of all, the shields you probably want to be using don't have high block anyway. Second of all, it only helps you in melee duels. Since you are a sorc, you shouldn't get hit very often by melee, and I would rather have a sorc that can survive 2 hits rather than hope for luck and have a chance of being 1hko. Also, block animation can cause you to be block-locked.

9. Bigrob

Bigrob Banned

most melee will kill u in one-hit without block. A ww/tele barb is even easier to chase a sorc with no block.

The only reason u dont need to max block is to against another caster.

10. Aerath

Aerath IncGamers Member

If HC... Lidless Wall = Death.

Piss poor block rate, excruciatingly slow blocking.

Otherwise - it's a personal choice. I personally favour the block route, though I tend to go for 'block on shield' rather than max block. Since I'm often stuck with a Rhyme or so, it'll be about 60% anyway, and should I equip a Visc or a Whitstan, it'll be good enough after all.

11. HCTwinJava

HCTwinJava IncGamers Member

For PvM HCL (or HC NL), not really.

with 6-7K defense (or more) and with well over 1k hit points (~2K or more), you don't really die even if you *accidentally* get your HCL sorc under melee attacks.

Blocking can only help your sorc against physical attacks (most of which are melee).

Generally, all vita sorcs have easier time to survive non-physical attacks than full blocking sorcs - though full blocking sorcs can also get ~2k or more hit points and survive any such attacks equally well.

12. Jek

Jek IncGamers Member

Couldn't you argue that a (good) telebarb would kill you with block anyway? :lol:

13. Bigrob

Bigrob Banned

no. If u have no block, the tele/ww barb will kill u in one hit. If u have max block, u will have better chance of surviving and can possibly kill them if they arent overabsorb. True, most of time u will lose. But with no block, u will lose all the time. 10-0 GG.

all non-block casters are only good against another casters. When they face melee like charger, ww barb, wwsin, kicksin, bowazon, (u will have harder time to kill them without blocking) etc meleers. (even zealots can kill u in one-hit if they get close to u with charge dysench.)

So in general, max block > no block.

14. Doll Call

Doll Call IncGamers Member

no sh!t.
    however...
    max block < or > max vita

i like a little bit of block... but i'm not taking a massive hp dive for block... because i like to have chars that can actually duel more then one type of char at a time. sure you can make your sorc block... good luck against any caster. however the reverse can also be said.

everything in moderation.

15. Zigot_HD

Zigot_HD IncGamers Member

U got the point.

The way i go : 2 set up for melee and caster:
    high block with ELD whistan/up Visc. vs melee and Lidless/Sanctuary ( vs caster, or spirit on ladder )

Z

16. Bigrob

Bigrob Banned

nah, my sorc has max block and she can still kill most casters in pubs who have no block. The only caster i wont be able to take out is hammerdin. (and it wouldnt matter anyway, hammerdin WILL kill u in one-hit even u max vita.) As i said, u max vita ONLY if u duel other casters. In pubs, every kind of chars may appear so u want to be prepare. (and most ppl suck in pubs, like i can take on 3 ppls at the same time, that just amazing...)

Most max vita sorc has around 2k life after cta, my sorc has 1.6k, so it's not so shabby.

17. Dennis_KoreanGuy

Dennis_KoreanGuy IncGamers Member

First of all, most hammerdins will NOTkill my sorc in 1 hit, and I have 2.1k Life. I am pretty sure that you WON'T be able to take 3 ppl at a time in Pubs, because you are underestimating the Public. Remember, they're the ones who EBay / use Bug items... and they CAN kick ass big time. You DON'T only max vita when you're dueling casters, you max vita when you feel that vita > block like me. From my point of view you're underestimating many kinds of character builds, and to me all it sounds like a kid bragging. Are you on USWest NL? You want to try my Trapsin / Bone Nec / Light sorc who ALL just happens to be non block.

:mad: This thread has been offensive due to his saying of "...and most ppl suck in pubs, like i can take on 3 ppls at the same time, that just amazing..." and I am a "Pub" and I am PROUD. :mad:

- Dennis

18. nightaswz

nightaswz IncGamers Member

on ladder, max vita > max block
    The mods on Spirit far outweigh the benefits of max block imo. Besides, that way u can go the ES route

19. Bigrob

Bigrob Banned

Then why there arent many barb's in pubs? Yes, im uswest NL. Okay, im always happy to take challenge. So u want me to bring my ww barb, fury/rabie druid, or my sorc?

i only overabsorb in pubs and i did take out 2x fb sorcs and a woflbarb at the same time. I have seen many good ww barbs can take out three zealots.

Beside, i say MOST ppl in pubs suck, but that doesnt mean ALL ppl in pubs suck. I meet a few good duelers in pubs and they are damn good, but im just saying that a lot of ppls out there dont know how to play. (like standing in front of door and spawn fireballs like mad, using wiz armor + wiz glove to cheat, i still beat them even they're doing that.)

Dont u just see how funny a bonenecro standing out there keep spawnning bspirit all the time and not even moving? (like he thinks he has godly gears and can take everyone)

20. Dennis_KoreanGuy

Dennis_KoreanGuy IncGamers Member

Where the HELL do people see Bonenecs standing in one place spamming BSpirit? Everyone seems to be whining about how they just stand really far away and just spam like mad, but I've seriously NEVER seen any nec who didn't tele crazy casting spears every once in a while... except those who can't aford Enigma. Bowazons spam much more... they even cast TPs right by them, continue spamming, and when someone finally gets close so they can kill them, they run to town... :mad:

Overabsorbing and killing 3 ppl is NOTHING to brag about when there were 2x sorcs with the same elemental... If you literally "overabsorb" then the 2x sorcs would actually help you because you'd heal.

There are actually quite a lot of WW Barbs in pubs... what are you talking about?

Whisper me at KeNzO_SmUt at anytime on the weekends because that's when I only go on.

I'm not sure about your Barb but I'm positive I'll have an easy time against Rabies Dru / Sorc without absorbing / resi stacking at all. ( :eek: NOT using sorb gear / resi stacking in pubs!!! GASP! :eek: )

- Dennis