Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Block Speed Discussion

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by Speederländer, May 23, 2005.

1. Speederländer

Speederländer IncGamers Member

Block Speed Discussion

This thread is pull the block speed discussion out of an unrelated thread.

Post all technical information and discussion here please.

2. Speederländer

Question:

If you are in block animation, does it prevent you from blocking until the animation has completed? If you are in FHR animation, does THAT prevent you from blocking until the FHR animation has ended?

Do you have a chance to block 100% of all attacks that strike you (that are blockable) no matter how fast they come and no matter from how many sources?

Does block rate only effect everything ELSE you can do BUT block?

3. ilkori

ilkori IncGamers Member

As BeB mentioned, it is against forum policy to link to the AB or Phrozen Keep discusions. They are technical to the point of going through every single look-up table and function called... it's a headache to read for me, and I wouldn't know where to pull the pertinent info. The following quote was from a thread found on the first page of searching for "block rate." I am sure there is some comment on this forum as well, possibly made by RTB or someone of similar knowledge. *goes to look*

Quoting the same thing I found for the other thread,
    Blocking is one of the few abilities completely independant of animations. There are monsters which have blocking ability, but only a very few actually have blocking animations (act bosses, OKs, and the greater mummies include the full list of blocking + animation).

I'm actually not positive on 1.09 mechanics. I didn't really get into that side of the game until 1.10 (yep, I'm a noobie). From the few passing comments, I believe it worked the same in 1.09, but block-lock (continuous blocking animation preventing one from doing anything) was what ruined blocking. 75% chance to block with 0% chance to attack still = dead.

Supposedly this link answers blocking questions, but is not working for me at the moment. I found it in this thread.
    http://strategy.diabloii.net/news.php?id=551#Chance to Block

4. Zangeif

Zangeif IncGamers Member

As far as I know, the blocking animation only affects how long before you can perform another skill/attack. It does not affect your ability to block again, and you could block 100% of attack that come at you no matter how fast the speed (with luck).

I am also fairly certain that you can block while in fhr animation.

In 1.09 it didn't work this way, I didn't duel seriously in 1.09 but I remember seeing a lot of Artisan's/Jeweler's XXX of deflecting socketed with Shaels.

5. HCTwinJava

HCTwinJava IncGamers Member

it's not unusual that 15 fire arrows are shooting at my char at the same time. without blocking, i'd have to dodge and drink potions (especially if this is also a low-defense build). With high blocking, it's possible that my char take virtually no dmg (especially if this is an ama or a high-defense build). the block lock is usually very short.

6. Speederländer

Yeah, I guess I haven't given it much thought in 1.10 and was operating with 1.09 mentality on the issue of blocking. And even then I had only given it cursory attention.