Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Block or life (pvp)

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by smokey[dead], Apr 6, 2004.

1. smokey[dead]

smokey[dead] Banned

Block or life (pvp)

Okay, i found this pretty goldy shield during one of my pit runes. It's a 1.10 unique nec sheild. +3 necro skills, 26% resists, 20% r/w. Which makes me think what i should use for my pvp bone necro. Should i go for the max blocking with a homoculous or for all base stats and all into vit?

Anything help would be appreciated, thanks.

2. Skips

Skips IncGamers Member

Im not like a huge person to ask on this, but I think that as long as you dont have about 3000 life and/or damage reduction your only going to be able to take 1 or 2 hits anway, but the homoculous or any head for that matter wont give you the best possible block rate.

3. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Comparison of Vitamancer and DR/Block Mancer

What is a vitamancer? A necromancer that has mass vitality for massive amounts of life, usually has
    no block, also usually has low str due to wanting more vitality. A DR/Block necromancer is a necro
    who has less life but maxed block. Which one's better? It all comes down to personal preference
    and where you duel. If you duel in public games, block is less of an issue as you can spam bone
    prison/decrep all you want, use enigma etc, so you most likely will not be getting hit often.
    However, if you duel in a league such as Clan-Honor (Clan-Honor) or just don't want to be a lame
    necro that spams BS/BP all the time, then you would choose the blocking route. However, do remember
    that when running, block is reduced to 1/3. Also remember if you choose the vitamancer route, you
    can die in one hit to a good barb, even with your high life.

Numerical Numbercrunching of Vita vs. DR/Block

For those who like numbers, heres the number crunching on a lvl 85 necro that has been tweaked to
    the max including bonus quests (Alkor, Tome), see further down below for more information in the
    Ideal Gear Section

Vitamancer:

Str: Base
    Dex: Base
    Vitality: 450 Base
    Energy: Base

Life: 1101 Base
    Mana: 193 Base

DR/Block Mancer:

Str: Base
    Dex: 192 with +gear for 75% block with Homunculus
    Vitality: Around 243 to 260 Base
    Energy: Base

Life: 731 base more or less
    Mana: 193 Base

As you can see, the vitamancer has a huge life difference, however, the other build has high block
    % which reduces your chance of being hit, which reduces the amount of life you can lose if that
    makes any sense at all =] A good note is that Clan-Honor has now removed their lvl limit so there is more flexibililty on build stats.

That is straight from Soulesschild's PvP Bone Necro Guide

And Homu is the best Necro blocking shield.

4. smokey[dead]

smokey[dead] Banned

Thanks for the input mad mantis, those stats were very helpful. I've throughly read the soulesschild's necro guild. I was just looking for some input from some of the more experienced necro pvper's out there. I'm probaly going to go for the blocking route, I'm going to play by honor-rules.

skip:
    Homu has 67% block which is just 7 short of stormshield. Plus it's got tons of mods like +2 necro skills, resists, and increased chance of blocking.

5. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Actually Homu has 72% block.

6. gvandale

gvandale IncGamers Member

also, one thing i've noticed in my very limited dueling in 1.10 is that vita builds are best suited against casters, while obviously blockers are for melee opponents.

in pubby's i'd say 99% of people are casters.

thanks 1.10

i hate you

g

7. smokey[dead]

smokey[dead] Banned

yes, i thought it was 72% but diabloii.net says 67%, just one of the many mistakes the site has. I should of looked on arreat summit.

8. Hatebreed.

Hatebreed. IncGamers Member

use homonc and u can kinda get both, homonc alrady has 72% ctb which means u dont have to put alot in dex to get a max ctb (75%) and then u can put the rest in vit. so u kinda get both, imo for pvp block is more important, cuz most chars easily do over 3k dmg, so alot of life will help, but not as much as not even gettin hit at all

jsut my opinion on all this....

9. soulesschild

soulesschild IncGamers Member

for me, i just tweak dex, using waterwalks saves you 15 dex points, rings and other things are good ways to tweak nicely :)

10. NecroManiac

NecroManiac IncGamers Member

whats ur life soulless?

11. soulesschild

2.8k more or less with BO
    1.7k more or less without it

12. chinaboxer

chinaboxer IncGamers Member

I have tried both max block and max life. Here is what i have come up with. Also keep in mind that i am primarily pvp.

MAX BLOCK:
    At first, i loved it. I could go toe to toe with chargers. I figured, like most of you out there, that regardless of your life you would die in a few hits anyways due to large damage output of most characters.

MAX LIFE:
    I then tried going full out maxing out life, this worked out well as long as i could stay away from melee range. But what really suprised me was that it allowed me to get....

MAX CAST RATE:
    This is THE most imporant aspect to a bonemancer involved in PvP. And often the most neglected. There is a HUGE difference between 75 and 125 fcr. So huge that you will NEVER want to go back to 75 ever again. For enigma users, it allows you to tele rings around anyone and cast bonespirit/spear at incredibly fast rates.

So which is better...max life or max block? EITHER but make sure to have MAX CAST RATE.

The reason most people go max life is because it is much easier to attain max cast rate.

Chinaboxer

13. soulesschild

er...how is going max life easier to attain max cast rate...?

a good tele WW barb or desynch charger could get a max lifer easily

14. smokey[dead]

smokey[dead] Banned

How do you guys put all into vit and nothing into str or dex to use all gear?
    good anni = +18-20
    maras = +5

That only adds up to 40 str so far.

15. soulesschild

enigma breast plate

16. Phyrexial

Phyrexial IncGamers Member

I think what he meant when he said it was easier to attain max fcr by going the vita route was the fact that none of the shields that are used for blocking have fast cast on them thus they require you to get fcr via another item slot. For example, its quite easy to get 125% fcr if you can use a Darkforce.

Wiz Spike+Magefists+Darkforce+Arachnid's = 120 fcr already. Throw in another 5% from an Ammy or Ring and you're good to go.

Without the Darkforce, you need to get a 20% fcr Circlet and either sacrifice a ring slot or get a very nice Ammy. It took me quite awhile before I found my circlet with 20% fcr and +2 necro skills and also quite some time before I crafted my 18% fcr ammy, only +1 necro skills. Still waiting on that elusive +2 necro skills, 20% fcr ammy.

17. smokey[dead]

smokey[dead] Banned

I have a dusk shroad... any way to put no points into str to use it?

18. Hatebreed.

Hatebreed. IncGamers Member

i fu wanted block and fcr, u culd get a lidless and shael it if i remember thats 40% icb, plus u get 30% fcr, 20% more mana nd plus skills