Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Block for a HC trapsin?

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by Nikech, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Nikech

Nikech IncGamers Member

Block for a HC trapsin?

I'm currently building a trapsin. Which is better in HC, max block or two claws, 3 more skills and more vita?

2. det

det IncGamers Member

Pro Shield: Max Block at 75%, can have resists and DR. Will however need LOADS of dex to maintain max block

Pro Claws: Can block while running (Shield down to 1/3 block) Can also block Elemental attacks like Bonespears. (and JadeTalon could give 40-50% res all). Dex can stay anywhere between 79 (Bartucs) or 105 (JadeTalon) - so more points for Vit

Both ways are being played, and both have merrits.

3. HAMC8112

HAMC8112 IncGamers Member

My trapsinn uses bartuc's and moser's shield filled with Pdiamonds, so if i am going to wear a shield i might aswell go for maxblock, once you meet some quille rats on the way to Shenk in hell you will see that it make's sence to have max block on any char.

4. Blood_And_Iron

Blood_And_Iron IncGamers Member

Since when?

5. det

det IncGamers Member

Got my info from the assassin guides in their forum..so if its not true, shoot them :lol:

Quoting here from one of the guides: From C-beats REPOST: PvM C/C DTalon/Trap Assasin Guide

"This skill only works if you use c/c (which i will discuss in the item section). If you use c/s then leave it at slvl 1.
    This skill gives you the ability to block attacks with your claw. Not only physical melee attacks but also ranged elemental attacks and as magic attacks. I would preferably get this skill to slvl 10 with items, which means 50% block. Less is possible but you want to survive right? My recommendation is 50% because it is a nice round number and it’s certainly enough block to make it through hell."

6. annr

annr IncGamers Member

my personal preference is c/c

yes it does block magical attacks, its fun to watch.

also, i prefer the sexy look of two claws :)

7. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

Since forever, where have you been?

8. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

I don't think it blocks piercing elemental attacks (Bonespear, Lightning...)

9. det

det IncGamers Member

Hm..what else would there be to block? Flayer Shamans Fire, Frost Monsters Ice Breath...and on top of that?

That info I quoted was not discussed or questioned in the guides. But even if the elemntal Block works, if you see Burning souls, they usually spam loads of lightning bolts at you. If you block 50%, you still get hit by enough to hurt you. Then again, while wearing a shield, you get hit by all of them. Shield with resists will give you good elemental protection, but so does Jade Talon, which would be harder to fin then, say Ancients Pledge. But achieving max Block with Ancients Pledge will coast loads of dex, which you don't need with Claw Block.

Mosers actually sounds like a great choice, but whichever way you turn..it does also depend on your playing style.

Rather than relying on any kind of Block, I prefer to spam MB and then take them out one by one. Example: Went down in Kurast to get the tome. For areas like that, I do not have a trap on my right mouse button, but MB. Sure enough, the stairs were trapped. The room packed. There must have been 20 Flesh Hunters and Ghouls there. But spamming MB took better care of this than any combat or trap skill or block.

Of course, there is still the option of elemental absorb gear

10. rev129

rev129 IncGamers Member

Use 2 Claws, get 2 Bartucs then spend every stinking penny gambling for +2All +3Trap claws, but, DO NOT WASTE SKILL POINTS MAXING BLOCK. I put 1 point into it and will my +skills equipment it's up to 12 (CTB 52%) and I have NO problems. Remember, your a TRAPPER, if your that close to the action, your already dead. If you don't forsee getting enough +skill equipment then put NO more into the skill than you have to.

Lev88 Mrs_Trapper

11. MoUsE_WiZ

You don't block Lightning from burning souls.
    You block things that OKs throw at you, fireballs from sorcs, bolts from orb...

The shield (or jade talon) isn't really needed for resists so long as you have Fade on instead of BoS. Viper + Fade + 3x Scroll of Resist = ~110% and you can make up the rest with various other gear and sockets and such. I myself had 75/85/75/75 with C/C and shaft. Of course I didn't have any MF, but who needs items?

12. jrichard

jrichard IncGamers Member

From Naliworld's faq updation thread in the assassin forum:

Q: Hey, why is my WB blocking elemental attacks?

A: WB blocks elemental attacks in addition to (normally) unblockable attacks, such as Smite. Here's a list of elemental attacks we've verified to be Blockable or Unblockable with WB. Note that all of the below are Unblockable with normal Shields. Elemental skills denoted with a "?" are unconfirmed:

Class-based elemental skill list (some monster still use the below skills. e.g.. Inferno for Fetish Shaman)
    Phoenix Strike/Chain/Lightning/Sentry - Blockable
    Wake of/Inferno - Blockable
    Skeleton Mage Missiles - Blockable
    Teeth - Blockable
    Bone Spear - Blockable
    Bone Spirit - Blockable
    Poison Nova - Blockable
    Smite - Blockable
    Fist of the Heavens - Blockable
    Firebolt/Hydra - Blockable
    Fireball - Blockable
    Blaze - Unblockable
    Firewall - Unblockable
    Phoenix Strike/Meteor - Blockable (Meteor impact itself is blocked, not residual flames)
    Claws of Thunder/Nova - Blockable
    Phoenix Strike/Ice Bolt/Frozen Orb - Blockable (Ice Bolts are blocked with Frozen Orb, not the Orb itself)
    Blizzard - Blockable
    Molten Boulder - Unblockable
    Artic Blast - Blockable
    Fissure - Unblockable
    Hurricane - Blockable

Monster-based elemental skill list
    Tainted Lightning Ball - Blockable (no 'tink' sound)
    Sand Maggot/Frog Demon/Tentacle Beast Poison Missile - Blockable
    Greater Mummy Unholy Bolt - Blockable
    Oblivion Knight Missiles - Blockable
    Fanatic Enslaved Explosion – Blockable
    Demon Imp Fire Missile - Blockable
    Succubi Blood Star - Blockable
    Baal Hoarfrost - Blockable (once one successful block is achieved, you will no longer take damage or be knocked back by the same Hoarfrost)

In addition, WB chance to block remains the same when you run, unlike Shield block, which decreases to 1/3, when you run.

jrichard

13. det

det IncGamers Member

Hey, thanks for that.

Can we conclude that if players skills like Bonespear is blockable, so is Vipers bonespear?

However..its funny. A great big tower shield cannot block Shamans Fire, but my small, spindly, see-thru, spikelike (you get the picture) claws can.

14. MoUsE_WiZ

Yeah, thanks for that...last I read that FAQ I could've sworn it said LS and similar lightning attacks like that were unblockable, or maybe not...I'm all about trying to build an HCC enchantress with raven claw right now -.-

15. CoonerTheRed

CoonerTheRed IncGamers Member

oh oh its magic! you know... :surprise:

16. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

You can still basically say that most of those attacks are unblockable because each attack will hit multiple times. A Gloam Lightning Bolt for instance will hit you 5 times if you're not running around trying to dodge it, and you're only at best going to block 1 of the 5 hits.