Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

block calculation

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by NickaliskTrent, May 18, 2008.

1. NickaliskTrent

NickaliskTrent Banned

block calculation

at lvl 97, with maxed holyshield, how much points in dex is needed to achieve max block with a 60% block sacred targe?

2. SmittySixTen

SmittySixTen IncGamers Member

Re: block calculation

The answer is a little more complicated due to possible +skills from items. However, the formula is as follows:

Total Blocking = [(Blocking * (Dexterity - 15)) / (Character Level * 2)]

Blocking=Blocking from all sources, and it can go over 75 (though it will only display up to 75% when you hover over the shield).

For the sake of ease, I will assume you have Holy Shield at level 20, and a +block% of 35 from the skill. If this is not correct, or you have blocking from another source to factor in, then you will need to re-do the math yourself.

Total Blocking = [(Blocking * (Dexterity - 15)) / (Character Level * 2)]
    Total Blocking = [(60+35 * (Dexterity - 15)) / 194] - Blocking is your shields block+Holy Shield's bonus.

Total Blocking = [(95 * (169 - 15)) / (194)] - I did trial and error with the Dexterity until I got it to work. There is a quicker way, but it's just the way I've always done it so I do it that way.

Total Blocking = [(95 * 154 / 194] - After you do this it comes out as just over 75% block. One less dex and it is just below. This means you will need 169 dex at level 97, assuming your Hold Shield bonus is only 35 and you have no other sources for blocking.

Like I said, there are a lot of other factors to consider, but that's the basic rundown.

3. NickaliskTrent

NickaliskTrent Banned

What do you mean exactly, blocking can go over 75? Basically, Will I know if I have max block if I hover my cursor over the defense rating and it says "75%" block?

4. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

The value shown in the shield stats is base blocking which gets modified by dex and level as mentioned. Due to a bug, it won't show more than 75%, although there's no limit to base blocking. The final blocking chance is shown when moving the mouse cursor over the defense rating in the character screen. Regarding paladins, don't forget to cast holy shield when checking the final blocking chance.

BTW, without the expansion, blocking is not modified like that. The number shown in the shield stats is the real blocking value there, that's why the display bug exists in the expansion.

5. Dodgydave

Dodgydave IncGamers Member

The Block % on the shield can be higher than 75% but it will only show as 75% in game (I believe).

You don't really need to know how much dex you need. Personally I just keep dex as low as possible early on then when I've equiped my end game gear I keep adding points to dex until the defense rating shows 75% block.

If you want the formula to figure out the dex (rearranged from what SmittySixTen posted) its

Dex = (2(Character level)(Total blocking))/Blocking

so using the above numbers

Dex = (2*97*0.75)/0.95
    Dex = 153.16 therefore dex needed 154.

6. galzohar

galzohar IncGamers Member

That only works if you don't really need the block to level yourself up (aka leech or soemthing)... Otherwise your stats need to match whatever would be best at every level keeping your final goals in mind.

7. NickaliskTrent

NickaliskTrent Banned

so if i move my mouse over the defense rating, and it shows 75% block, then i've reached max block and should hold off on dex right?

8. Dodgydave

Dodgydave IncGamers Member

Bingo.

And Golzohar I agree you're right if you were to wait for level 97 to put the points in, but most end game gear is usually equipable to the mid to late 70s which you can easily enough reach in NM.

I don't find blocking that vital until Hell.

9. muzzz

muzzz IncGamers Member

Minor caveat: you might still need to invest 1-2 points in dex when levelling to keep the 75% chance.

10. NickaliskTrent

NickaliskTrent Banned

each additional level requires more dex points to reach block, gotcha.

at any rate, I think 97 is a good stopping point :laugh:

11. MavZero

MavZero IncGamers Member

Could someone clarify in what way the stat screen's block rate display is bugged?

based on http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254070

if I had a sorc w/ a whistan's guard+eld and 143 dex at lvl 80, will I actually be blocking 94% of blockable attacks despite the screen's display of 75% block rate?

Thanks!

12. stephan

stephan IncGamers Member

The stat screen is not bugged in that regard, you are reading the table wrong (although it is a little confusing I'll admit).

143 dex is required for 75% blocking using a shield with a base blocking of 94%. Blocking is capped at 75%.

13. MavZero

MavZero IncGamers Member

Ah okay that makes much more sense, I knew the way I was interpreting the chart seemed quite broken ^.^' Thanks.