Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

block and hit mechanics

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by harpoeth, Sep 4, 2006.

1. harpoeth

harpoeth IncGamers Member

block and hit mechanics

During a fight the monster and character are attacking eachother.

I know the chance to hit is calculated from attack rating and also the level of the monster and the character by some formula.

If the character is hit.

1) When will the character enter a hit-animation ?
    (Because it is not happening every time as I see it from playing)

Logically I would think that during the hit-animation the character can not do anything,

2) Does this include blocking ?

3) Is it here that "faster hit recovery" enters the play, to shorten the time of the hit-animation ?

I guess "block rate" means how often the character can block.

5) So after a block there is a dead time where the character can not block, and every hit on the character during that time will then actually hit (the check for chance to block is ignored) ?

6) I guess this is where "faster block rate" enters the play, to shorten the time between possible blocks

I tried to make simple yes/no answers to make it less time consuming (less typing is required) to answer, instead of just asking "how does block and hit work", since I appreciate people taking their time to answer many questions.

Thanks.

2. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

The character won't go into the hit recovery unless they are:

- Stunned
    - Hit for more than 1/12 of their maximum life
    - Knock backed.

And yes, the character cannot execute any new commands while going through the hit recovery process.

...As far as I remember, this does indeed include blocking, but this was a long time ago and I cannot be 100% sure. Take this with a grain of salt.

Correct.

Indeed.

Not quite. While you're character is executing the blocking animation, they are still able to block and avoid further attacks, but they cannot attack themselves until the animation is over.

If they do block another attack while still performing the animation for the first block, the second block animation just isn't played. This was meant to fix up the block-lock thing.

Correct. Ideally, you want to block as fast as possible so you can resume attacking/moving.

3. Darkflight

Darkflight IncGamers Member

1. If 1/12 or more of your life is removed from one attack, you will go into hit recovery. During hit recovery you can't do anything.

2. When in blocking animation, you can't do anything (I think).

3. Faster hit recovery makes the hit recovery animation shorter. Meele chars with relatively low HP will need a lot of this to be able to survive and not just be locked in hit recovery. There are breakpoints for this, I think they are somewhere in the stickies.

4. You don't have a 4 :laugh:

5. Block rate is how fast the block animation is. There is a delay after a block in which you cannot block, but I'm not quite sure how that works.

6. See point 5.

Did my best to answer you. It's good that you make your questions a little detailed. Makes it much easier to know what you want to know.

4. harpoeth

harpoeth IncGamers Member

Thanks a lot Orphan.
    You were actually one of the persons I had in mind when posting the questions.

And also thanks to you Darkflight :cool:

Apparently I was on the right track, but it is always good to get things confirmed.
    I didn't know about a blocking animation, I have only noticed the sound it makes when blocking.

Yes, I missed 4 ... :shocked: :embarassed: :prop: