Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

blizzmeteor

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by stevenluckymann, Sep 19, 2006.

1. stevenluckymann

stevenluckymann IncGamers Member

blizzmeteor

hey guys i hear meteororbs and blizzballers a lot but y not the two most highest damage skills in each tree?, the blizzmeteor. It seems logical wht u guys think?

2. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Uhm, Blizzballer has Meteor as a skill, but the focus is more on maxing Fireball, since you will need a spamming skill too. With Blizzballer you have Fireball, Iceblast and Glacial Spike as spamming spells. Meteor and Blizz are still powerful.

Meteor gets synergized by Fireball and the other way round. Same goes for Iceblast, Glacial Spike and Blizzard. All the spells from the same tree synergize each other, so there is not much more you can do to get a Blizzmeteor here :)

Blizzball is practically a Blizzmeteor too. Surely with some more emphasize on the cold tree.

3. stevenluckymann

icic ty. i thought u were supposed to put some points into mastery but i guess not.

4. Murderya

Murderya Banned

5. stevenluckymann

jeeze chill out.... im looking im looking

6. MageChick

MageChick IncGamers Member

its actually a pretty balanced equation. But the key is that you need more + fireball (or meteor) synergies than you do fire mastery. So if your build has a decent amount of + skills (say 10 or more) then you're best of by putting 20 fireball, 20 meteor, and 1 in mastery.

There's a good guide in the library to help you balance synergies with mastery.

7. stevenluckymann

ty i read that and its pretty good.

8. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy IncGamers Member

The idea has more folks behind it in the sorc forum (blizmet, that is), that it does over at the SPF. We consider meteor as another timed spell, and two timed spells don'twork too well together, we've found. So we just pump f-bolt to boost f-ball damage. (Meteor is also three more skill points to grab, and we'd just as soon dump those into Bliz damage).

Case in point. DX-crawler, a prominent HC player over at the spf, was running baal with a bliz/f-wall sorc. He said after his sorc died (at clvl 96), that if he remade, he'd invest more into f-ball and not worry about f-wall.

crg

9. MageChick

crg has a valid point. Having two timered spells will really slow you down. The key to most sorc builds is to have 1 timered spell (usually with real high damage) and one fast cast spell. Fireball is a popular fast cast spell. It will end up with the same damage if you synergize with firebolt or with meteor. Yes, meteor is reall slow, but I prefer to have a 2nd good fire spell. It's real useful when hitting baal's minions or when doing the meph moat trick.

10. FrostBurn

FrostBurn IncGamers Member

To address the thread starter's question, both Meteor and Blizzard are timered spells, so you won't get efficient use out of trying to use them together.

However, as illustrated by Meli, the Blizzball utilizes both Met and Blizz, but not at the same time. Rather, a Blizzball will use Blizz as the timered spell with GS/IB (or FBall) as the fast spammable spell against non-CIs, and Met and FBall against CIs.

Imo, Meteor is well worth the 3 pre-reqs. You end up with a FBall doing perhaps a couple of hundred less damage, but get a Meteor that does almost 2.5x the damage of each FBall. Used together, FBall and Meteor will pump out more damage collectively compared to a FBall only Blizzball.

11. melianor

Also the problem with Meteor and Blizzard is, that their timers will interfer. So you cannot just cast Meteor and Blizzard after that immediatly, since the y both share their cooldown timer.

Sorry i didn't mention Cold Mastery. I was just referring to the skills, that you actually cast.

I also agree that the 3 extra points are well worth the extra damage that you get. Meteor is slow, indeed, but all you do is spam Fireball and land a Meteor inbetween. My premise is: Use all the damage skills that you can get for cheap, since they will enhance your killing speed greatly.
    Ofcourse a 2k Meteor would not be worth 3 skillpoints, but the damage you get is by far higher!

I guess it comes down to playstyle. Some prefer more cold damage than fire.
    Also i don't think you can really compare Firewall and Meteor. Meteor has a nice radius and all you need to do is cast it upon your Sorc or your Merc.

Before there were viable Mercs to defend our Sorceresses we would teleport and cast Meteor ahead of us so that mobs would walk/run through them. This worked pretty well too. Was alot of clicking though :)

12. Noite Escura

Noite Escura IncGamers Member

I think if you play untwinked you may need the additional damage of Meteor. With +6 fire skills, 20 FBall + 20 FBolt will give you 2k damage. If you can twink to get up to 3.5K+ FB and 70% FCR you'll probably kill fast enough to not want Meteor.

13. Fuzzier

Fuzzier IncGamers Member

Have you tried this build?
    I'm currently running a Meteor-Blizzard sorc in Hell, it works great.
    Current level 77:
    Fire Ball - 20
    Meteor - 20
    Fire Mastery - 1
    Blizzard - 20
    Glacial Spike - 11
    Cold Mastery - 1
    I find no problem with this build, I have 1 utility spell and 3 high-damage spells, and I personally think this is probably the best build for a sorc.
    In this build, my sorc have 4 combos, and many strategies:
    Left Mouse (Glacial Spike (A), Fire Ball (S)) + Right Mouse (Blizzard (D), Meteor (F))
    The situation decides what to do:
    Glacial is a merc-saving spell, throw at any non-cold-immu crowd that my merc is facing, and my sorc just throw in Blizzard (if the monsters are more vulnerable to cold) or Meteor (otherwise). Even if the monster has high cold res, my sorc just freeze+bombard, then monster melt; or freeze crowd A, bombard crowd B, when crowd B is over, then face crowd A:wink3:. The flexibility is great, and makes many battles quite safe - especially vs high speed monters.
    Glacial's main problem is its damage, but we have FBall too.
    FBall + Meteor on cold immu monsters, and FBall + Blizz on mixed crowds.
    Blizzard and Meteor never mess with each other:thumbsup:!

14. munchkins

munchkins IncGamers Member

what about a spell that freezes sold as a secondary skills (like glacial spike) and metoer max synergized? cold will hold them in the fire from meteor... is that a viable build?

15. Fuzzier

Fuzzier IncGamers Member

I think the build is vialbe, but you must rely on merc to kill fire immu monsters (as any single tree builds, but you do have glacial spike to cover your merc:wink3:).

16. melianor

You would have to maximise the freeze duration somehow. Since freeze duration in Hell difficulty is only 1/3 or 1/4 of what the skill tab displays. Meaning, most monster in Hell will only remain frozen for 1 second or shorter if you don't boost the freeze length through synergies.

17. MageChick

If you could freeze everything in place and then cast a meteor on it, it would be viable but extremely slow. That 1.2 second spell timer and 1 second delay make meteor of limited use. Your fireball damage is normally about 1/3-1/2 the damage of meteor, but with some good fast cast you can cast fireballs about 5 times as fast. The same is true for blizzard and ice blast. Blizzard does a lot more damage, but ice blast is quicker.

The key for Blizzballers, or Meteorbs or just about any good build is to have this fast spamming spell to use most of the time, then have a big damage slow spell to work in for bosses. Even then your attack is still mostly fast cast spells, you just work in the slow timered spells when their timer expires. i.e. - your normal attack looks like this. ...Blizzard, Ice Blast, Ice Blast, Ice Blast, Ice Blast, Blizzard, Ice Blast...