[Blizzcon 2010]New monster abilities

raveharu

Diabloii.Net Member
[Blizzcon 2010]New monster abilities

Apart from the same old D2 abilities (extra strong/fast, elemental enchanted,teleport, etc), new ones, having been revealed by demo players, are also found in D3.
Here are some of them:

Molten
Makes the monster fire enchanted, and leaves trails of lava as they move around. When the monster dies, it collapses into a floating lava bubble, which swelled and then burst. Not sure if it damages players within vicinity though.

Vortex
The monster will force a player to teleport next to it. Seems like a real killer ability :hang:

Desecrating
Something like an arcane enchanted monster?

Linked
That caused all the enemies to combine their health into a single massive one, causing a group of champions to feel more like one big boss. Only way to kill them is to weaken every single one of their health until they're almost dead and the link breaks :shocked: Then you have to kill each and every single one of them.

Info courtesy of Grug and Flux :grin: Feel free to point out any mistakes, or if I missed out any info.

Last edited:

Yersinia Pestis

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: [Blizzcon 2010]New monster abilities

Do we know if the Molten ability is only a cool version of fire enchanted or really something different?
I mean like if that lava trails also deals damage or something like that?

Vortex and Linked sound really awesome :)

Crackseed

<a href="payments.php">IncGamers Site Pal</a><br>D

Vortex was really scary a couple of times. We ran into some Detombed Hulk champs with it and combined with a pack of Subjugated/Cultists swarming us we all nearly wiped in that section. I kept vaulting with my Hunter to get clear - they would use it quite a bit and the damage you'd get nailed with once you got pulled in caused a few "OMFG RUN!" moments xD

It was awesome :D

raveharu

Diabloii.Net Member

Vortex was really scary a couple of times. We ran into some Detombed Hulk champs with it and combined with a pack of Subjugated/Cultists swarming us we all nearly wiped in that section. I kept vaulting with my Hunter to get clear - they would use it quite a bit and the damage you'd get nailed with once you got pulled in caused a few "OMFG RUN!" moments xD

Thanks for making me hunger for the game even more :cry:

Flux

Administrator

Molten was seen last year; it looked more or less like Fire Enchanted, or at least that's what I put on the monster modifier page.

I added these new ones, and also Ballista, one I saw on ranged bosses.

http://www.diablowiki.net/Boss_Modifiers#Special_Modifiers

Any more details on Desecrated? I didn't see that one; what does an "arcane enchanted monster" mean?

valeo

Diabloii.Net Member

Love the creativity behind these new monster abilities. Vortex/Linked sound awesome.

FletVictus

Diabloii.Net Member

Any more details on Desecrated? I didn't see that one; what does an "arcane enchanted monster" mean?
I've never played a demo or anything but I'm almost 100% sure that by arcane enchanted monster he means a monster that does extra arcane damage, and it is all purple and stuff like arcane orbs, it probably also has some secondary affect like fire/ice/lightning did in D2.

fnwc

Diabloii.Net Member

Linked sounds interesting; it would force you to change standard focus fire tactics on champions.

Does anyone with play experience have an example on how this ability affected their game?

Autti

Diabloii.Net Member

Iirc in one of the blog posts Flux (or someone else) said it was an absolute pain in the ***, but i took that as good. Flux care to comment?

After reading another comment that apparently leach is out of the game, i was wondering if any monsters had a leeching ability (like Ghouls) because i always liked that and it is a classic mechanic. Not getting hit is as important as doing damage.

raveharu

Diabloii.Net Member

Took the info from Grug, maybe you'll need to confirm with him.

Desecrating: The creature made sparkling and flaring areas on the ground. Possibly the arcane equivalent of elemental enchanted creatures?

Flux

Administrator

health link was tough since all the champions kept hitting you the entire time. Usually you can single one out and put it down, thus decreasing the damage you're taking. With them linked all 3 or 4 kept dishing it out until the very end. Though that was fun, since all of them would drop dead in fairly rapid succession, especially if you had a multi-target attack.

fmulder

Site Contributor

Thanks for the info, I am glad you had fun with the demo.
A few questions:

Can you see if a monster is about to use the Vortex ability?
How long does it take for it to pull you in?
Is is possible to avoid it at all?

HC players might want to say away from these guys...

Larik

Diabloii.Net Member

health link was tough since all the champions kept hitting you the entire time. Usually you can single one out and put it down, thus decreasing the damage you're taking. With them linked all 3 or 4 kept dishing it out until the very end. Though that was fun, since all of them would drop dead in fairly rapid succession, especially if you had a multi-target attack.
did you try out any AoE abilities on linked champions? it seems like this would drain their health fairly fast. i assume the damage taken by the group would be pulled from the total health and not only a single target.

Bandreus

Diabloii.Net Member

After reading another comment that apparently leach is out of the game, i was wondering if any monsters had a leeching ability (like Ghouls) because i always liked that and it is a classic mechanic. Not getting hit is as important as doing damage.
I do think a Vampiric modifier is there for monsters (works just like leech). Never played D3, but I recall info on this one from previous builds. Can't really check right now since the wiki is not working for me :(

Took the info from Grug, maybe you'll need to confirm with him.
from Grug's description desecrated really seems to work like some kind of aura