Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Blizzcon 2010 demo - hardware discussion

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by In the name of Zod, Oct 18, 2010.

1. In the name of Zod

In the name of Zod Diabloii.Net Member

Blizzcon 2010 demo - hardware discussion

Here is some information that hopefully gets released this year. Now that the 5th act is well in the works they should have some idea of what specifications they can work towards. What would be the point of making 4 acts that only require a dual core 2.6ghz intel processor to run then make the 5th act require twice that.

Its a fairly good guess that by now the dev team know this answer. The game has its hardware rails that it must stick to and the hardware used in the this years demo should be a good indicator of the recommended specifications to play the game. Recommended because they will want to be showing off the game in its best light.

Another matter is knowing what the quality options are in the options controls. Most games have the standard lighting, AA, Brightness/Gamma. So what new tech will make its appearance in this years demo? Can anyone tell by looking at the latest vid? I'm guessing sound quality might be there.

It would be nice to know how well the game would run on a bobcat or fusion but I guess we will need to wait for that hardware to get released. What else do we want to know about hardware related matters and D3? DTS support? 3 Core support? Video ram size?

Things we know is that it won't be 64 bit and there wont be dx 10 or 11 support. It would be nice to see comparable screenshots with different quality settings. Thoughts? :scratchchin:

2. Larik

Larik Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Blizzcon 2010 demo - hardware discussion

it would be nice to know the hardware requirements but optimization is normally toward the end of development. the PC's that will be running the demo at blizzcon are going to be powerhouses that can run even the unoptimized game with no issue.

i'm sure they have the specs they would like to shoot for all laid out but they won't release the actual recommended until very near the release.

3. lone_wolf

lone_wolf Diablo: IncGamers Member

i expect the system requirements to be very low say any dual core processor over 2GHz as well as a minimum ram of 2GB. And 256Ram on the video card for minimum requirements (aka you cant play you just look at a slideshow) and 512 Ram for recommended. A recommendation even laptops today 2010 should be able to handle.

as for sound quality they are most likely targeting as many as possible so onboard sound like a realtec 97 will most likely play it well enough.
    I doubt they add in support for the amount of voices and stuff like that.

Blizzard has never ever released a game that has come close to the top mainstream on computers so they are not likely to even go beyond 2 cores support nor will they ever support more then 3.5GB ram unless they release a special x64 diablo 3.

For those of us that play on x64 bit systems the performance might even go down due to how windows handle the simulation of x86 binaries via WOW64. Heck if blizzard would make diablo 3 use 32bit kernel mode those of us that use a 64bit system would not even be able to play since wow64 does not support that.

Starcraft 2 does not have AA so diablo 3 might also lack this feature when it is released. Forcing those that want to use it to force AA through their nvida or AMD control center for their graphic cards.

I have yet to see a good use of shaders in any of the videos so i would guess blizzard wont go higher then shader 2.0 when it comes to lightning and shadows. That is the basic directx 9.0 shader that everyone that has a directx 9 card can handle.

Any computer build or brought in 2011 or 2012 that is not some budget crap should be able to play diablo 3 on the highest settings with ease.

4. In the name of Zod

In the name of Zod Diabloii.Net Member

Basically SC2 requirements. I went and had a look. Although I think that D3 is a faster game with more movement more often I mean. Where as SC2 has smaller stuff and lots of it.

@Larik: Optimization will likely come in patches in my opinion or after a new hardware platform is released. Might all change in 6 months from now with Intel and AMD releasing a whole new chipset and cpu architectures. But I'm only guessing. I would still like to know what they use at blizzcon, it would be nice if someone could grab those details as it might spur on an interesting debate.

5. Larik

i'm not trying to be a downer, last year that question got asked to bashiok and he wouldn't cough it up because he said they were way over what the end specs were going to need to be so it didn't matter.

my understanding is they have the demo boxes locked down pretty well also so i don't know if anyone would be able to exit out of D3 to pull the specs. it would be interesting to know what they are if they could, but i have my doubts.

6. Risingred

Risingred Diabloii.Net Member

On the SC sister site, they had listed the machine specs from one of the SC2 tournaments, and it was a pretty outrageous, top-of-the-line system.

http://starcraft.incgamers.com/articles/comments/starcraft-ii-specs-emerge/

Keeping in mind that Blizzard gets these machines from vendors, they probably don't have much control over what's in the box.

I would think that a big difference between SC2 and D3 is going to be the usage of physics. They had some pretty extensive physics effects in SC2 in early development but they really toned it down for release.
    In D3, we have debris from destructible objects, mob ragdoll bodies, etc.
    I think that the requirements would completely depend on just what graphics options you have in-game to change. If it is anything like SC2, you're going to have a lot of tweaking options available to you.

7. Larik

i think another major difference between SC2 and D3 is the number of objects on the screen at once. in SC you could have an 8 player game with the possibility of each person having 100+ units.

i don't think that will be the case in D3 which will allow them to keep more of the physics affects in the game and still have a reasonable required specs.

8. Risingred

Yeah, and they don't seem to be using shaders for D3 either, so that will make a big difference, too.

9. Autti

Autti Diabloii.Net Member

The boxes will be top of the line stuff, you don't want to display your brand new shiny game with anything less than full graphics potential.

Good example of this is how a lot of Xbox360 demo's actually plug a controller into a windows computer to "trick" the user into thinking the graphics are amazing. DNF was the latest game to do this.

As for what is required, well i wouldn't say anything new at all. I would be surprised if most mid range laptops from 2009-2010 couldn't run it smoothly albeit not at max settings. Blizzard don't want hardware to be a limitation, putting it on Mac is a perfect example.

10. Claymenza

Claymenza Diabloii.Net Member

If diablo 3 has bigger requirements than Titan Quest...hilarity will ensue.

11. Dahmer

Dahmer Diabloii.Net Member

What exactly makes you say that? It was released 4 years ago and the requirements are downright laughable now.

12. lone_wolf

ehh:ponder: outrageous does not equal this:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme QX9300, 2.53 Ghz
    Memory: 4 GB of DDR3 RAM
    Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce 9700M GT
    Hard Disk Space: 2x 512 GB

the cpu is a joke today, 4 GB ram is very easy to put up in any computer and the graphic card is laughable when compare to what you can buy for about 300-380 dollar today. And the hard disk space is laughable low as you can get 1.5 TB for as low as 128 dollar.

i dont know about what prices you have but my next upgrade here in sweden in late 2011 will cost about 15000 sek or 2 263.905 dollar. No matter the system requirements on diablo 3 i wont even need to check them i know i will be way over those specs anyway.

13. Risingred

Those weren't desktop computers. Hence the 9700M.
    Okay, maybe not "outrageous" but they way over-performed the needed task of SC2.

14. Autti

i'd like to know if my 13" MBP could play it, would make uni very good.

But i'll be getting a sandy bridge desktop anyway, so not really a worry for me.

15. Dahmer

Depends what's in the macbook pro :)

@lone_wolf :
    I know it's laughable but it's still a laptop, more than likely they got a laptop to show people they can play SC2 on that too.
    Real gamers play on a real pc though :p i7 + HD5850 here and I'm not worried at all.

16. Autti

Blizzard doesn't cater to "real gamers" though.
    Blizzard games never require good computers.

17. Dahmer

They don't require good computers just to play but good luck maxing out settings when you don't have a good computer :)

18. Autti

True. I think it's more a example of good graphics design, example is that although Crysis looks pretty, its the worst most inefficient coding ever.
    On the other hand, Portal 2 looks very very good, and yet is using an old engine and thus won't require extreme hardware.

19. lone_wolf

q3 or q4 in 2011 i will buy a new computer with AMD bulldozer at minimum 3.0 Ghz at least 8GB ram probably 12-24 depending on ddr3 prices. An 60-120GB ssd as OS disk and 2 1.2-2TB disks as storage. Graphic card i dont know about yet probably something from the Radeon 68xx or 69xx series. For sound i am looking ad auzentech since i hate creatives worthless drivers.

By then i will have finished my IT technician education so i will use that computer for far more important stuff then games any way. Most likely vmware virtualization labs and server 2008 r2 labs with exchange and similar programs.

The point here is that most of us will no doubt have a computer in 2011 or 2012 that can run diablo 3 on the highest settings without any problem.