Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

BlizzBaller vs OrbBaller

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Campaigner, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Campaigner

Campaigner IncGamers Member

BlizzBaller vs OrbBaller

Heard praise about the Blizzballer which I definetly believe to be extremely powerful with Blizzard as main attack and Fireball as backup but I wonder how a Vitality Sorc with Frozen Orb as main and Fireball as backup would fare. It would be used for everything (question and mf'ing).

FO with it's maxed synergy would do 753 dmg.

Then you add in lvl 8 CM which gives -55% CR. Then with items you'll get it up to 17 or higher.

So even against resistant creatues in Hell with like 50% resistance every Ice Bolt would do around 800 points of damage! And if the Orb passes through an enemy or even explodes within them = 8000 damage?

Add to the fact that FO always hits with many shards and only got a 1sec timer compared to Blizzard which sometimes hits and got a longer delay.

I know that its only synergy is very weak but FO is so powerful on its own that a stronger synergy would have perhaps made FO overpowered (Blizzard seems to think so)

2. Corrupted

Corrupted IncGamers Member

Re: BlizzBaller vs OrbBaller

If you like /players1, go for it

3. TheSupercrab

TheSupercrab IncGamers Member

for P8 baal running u need blizzard really. Frozen orb just doesent cut it. Overall blizzball is just much more powerfull, as u can get 5k+ Blizzard pretty easily without DF + nightwings veil.

4. Low Key

Low Key IncGamers Member

Unfortunately, Blizzard with only one synergy will outperform it easily. With around 3000-5000 damage per hit, depending on your equipment, the damage per second is much higher than orbs. You've got to remember that Blizzard also scores multiple hits on enemies.

Frozen Orb is a great support skills for fire and lightning, but it really wont work as a primary killer over Blizzard.

5. Campaigner

I meant /players 8. I've never had a Sorceress in Hell so it's possible I'm wrong. But from my Nightmare adventures I remember being truly impressed by the Orbs power. Cutted through Shenk like the Dark Clan Crusher smashes Fallen Shamans.

But alright. I'll take your words for it :)

6. Ugla

Ugla IncGamers Member

I vote against maxing orb's synergy (Icebolt). The point of playing orbballer (metorber) opposed to Blizzballer is having stronger fire. Since the majority of monsters in the Throne have high resistances, it might work better than Blizzball, since you don't have to break them to be effective.

Concerning Waves, you can do the last one on lower ps. The other should fall quickly to superior fire once you employ the lower resistance charges.

7. TedDeeBoy

TedDeeBoy IncGamers Member

With Blizzard I like that your character can have 2 Blizzards stacked on the monsters after 2.5 seconds allowing for the duration and casting delays. IMHO, this helps to increase the killing power of blizzard as your main attack over orb when combined with its superior shard damage per hit.

8. NeoKnuckles

NeoKnuckles IncGamers Member

Orb is pretty sweet when it passes through an enemy, but blizz is just so cool against mobs of enemies. I don't know if any ability is as good as blizz for taking out lister's pack.

9. Colorless Green

Colorless Green IncGamers Member

Never synergize FO, with the exception of a dedicated novelty build or a pvp build. If you're going to do an OrbBaller (meteorb), just max FO with somewhere between one and a few points in CM and put the rest into fire synergies.

As for meteorb vs blizzballer, they're pretty similar chars in terms of overall power (blizzballer is a bit more popular overall because of AT), but what it comes down to is a choice between a main fire attack with orb as a backup for immunes (meteorb) vs a main cold attack with fireball as a backup for immunes (blizzballer).

-CG

10. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy IncGamers Member

Orb rocks, especially when you push it to its max. Here's my 1.222k orber.

With Orb, you have less synergies to deal with. Once you max out orb and get your enemy cold res to -150, you should have some points in Fireball and one point in Fire Mastery. Then move to max out f-ball. Ice Bolt is next. Firebolt is last. After you max all of those out, the rest of the points should go into fire mastery.

Just like a blizzballer, an Orbballer is basically unstoppable. If you run into a CI/FI, you have a telekenisis to hold off the monster while your merc deals with it.

11. Eric Xanthu

Eric Xanthu IncGamers Member

FICI Lister on P8 is when the irresistable force meets the immovable object. Killable? Absolutely. Worth waiting that long? Never.

Of course, Meteorb takes just as long to kill nonCI Lister on P8r.

12. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy IncGamers Member

That's why you bring him to the back of the Throne room and get him out of Baal's view. Lister stays alive and you move on to Baal.

13. Jaedhann

Jaedhann IncGamers Member

An orbballer is actually very cool. I did build one focussed on maxed damage on both element. It is actually possibe to get a 1k orbdamage/10k fireball damage orbballer.

I didn't find her very fun to play though. But that's maybe because i'm a lazy player, and frozen orb requires some fairly good aiming so the orb explodes right inside the monster you want down. Blizzard on the other hand just needs a loose aim. This gives me much more time to focus on teleíng around, looking after the merc and skillswitching if needed.

I think FO i very powerfull as a secondary attack, but don't expect it to be your main killer ever, unless you really sink points in coldmastery and the synergie. But then you might just aswell use blizzard.

14. Eric Xanthu

Yeah, of course. I was just responding to the "telekinesis+merc" to kill FICI. There's ONE bad guy a blizzballer has to go around.

15. Campaigner

I remember a thread where Blizzard and FO were compared and Orb won. Really strange as Blizzard got so many more synergies which also give more.

Crazy Runner Guy

The only good items I got is Magefist, Gull and Wizardspike (which someone gave me but I don't use Wizardspike because of the Dex requirement) so your +20 to skills is something I'll never get.
    So I'm comparing more "normal" equipment.

16. Eric Xanthu

Naked blizz sorc will obliterate non-CI. Getting some good gear by crushing Meph a few hundred times will be a snap--you'll be in your Harly/Skullder's/Occy setup in no time.