Blizzard vs Orb

Cheeseflys

Diabloii.Net Member
Blizzard vs Orb

What do you prefer? Blizzard or Orb, I prefer Blizzard and I don't know what people see in Orb other then more accuracy and radius...

Most of the time if you were to match a full out twinked Blizzard Sorc VS a Twinked Orb Sorc, the Blizzard would usually dominate the Orb around 85% of the time.

If you choose Orb or Blizzard, explain what you think it has over the other.

mephiztophelez

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Blizzard vs Orb

Most of the time if you were to match a full out twinked Blizzard Sorc VS a Twinked Orb Sorc, the Blizzard would usually dominate the Orb around 85% of the time.
what makes you say that? have you ever done the testing to find out or is this just a wild guess?

assuming it's GM sork v sork we're talking (no sorb, 75% max res) i'd say it would be a pretty even duel. the orber has an advantage in that they don't really need to aim all that much and they have plenty of skill-points leftover for a nice ES build. the blizzy has an advantage in that they'll prolly kill you in no more than 2 hits.

UberB

Diabloii.Net Member

Well, I like blizzard for a pvp build, I feel it's more suitable for pvp because

1. Harder to absorb
2. You can hit anything anywhere on screen instantly, and it lasts for 4 seconds
3. Higher damage

I find 2 to be the most helpful reason, you don't have to go toe-to-toe with your opponent, you can just tele around and cast blizzards which is the suitable way for sorc IMO since they're not meant to be tanks (ES doesn't turn them into a tank compared to barb, pally etc).

Ed from Russia

Diabloii.Net Member

I play only PvM, and I'm a huge fan of Orb. For me, it's the speed and accuracy that you get, even though the damage is lower than with a synergized Blizzard. You simply fire an Orb in the general direction of a group of monsters and you can move on. Blizzard requires more accurate aiming and you might miss or not hit all monsters out of a batch.

In addition to this, Orb requires very few points to work; 20 in Orb itself and a few in Cold Mastery will do. So your other attack (Fireball/Meteor or Chain Lightning) will be pretty powerful as well.

Nice post by the way, I'm curious what other people will say.

Cheeseflys

Diabloii.Net Member

Current score:

Blizzard:2

Orb:1

And to Mephizto, this no random guess, I have physically tested this with my friends amazing Blizzard sorc, and my other friends Orb sorc. Most of the duels were won by the Blizzard, considering it's high damage.... But Blizzard DOES have trouble with whirlwinders and chargers noticeably... But Blizzard dominated most casters and bow users, trappers included.

asdfgah

Diabloii.Net Member

I prefer blizzard (mostly pvm, HC too but have always liked blizzard better).

I have no trouble hitting with it..
Great damage
Safe distance, instant aoe.

Go blizzard! :alright:

I've only played little pvp but the range has made a big difference for me. Haven't tried FO pvp though.. Doesn't it have problems vs blizzard because of lower damage per bolt than the hits of blizzzard?

penco

Diabloii.Net Member

If you're doing a hybrid build or ES build, use orb. If going pure cold, do blizzard. Blizzard totally pwns in the damage department, but only if you max its synergies. I don't even like doing orb with another attack. I tried Fireball/Orb, but orb's delay is so short that I could only squeeze 1 or 2 fireballs between each orb. The fireballs were so much weaker than orb that I just ended up ditching fireball altogether except for cold immunes. Stupid orb and its stupid short cast delay.

MinusDII

Diabloii.Net Member

I much prefer orb.

Blizzard looks nowhere near as cool. Thats the main reason. I don't PvP much so no comment there. In PvM, I much prefer my orb sorc to the blizz sorcs I've made. In fact I pretty much hate all none ES sorc builds... there just sooo fragile.

Cheeseflys

Diabloii.Net Member

Score:

Blizzard:4

Orb:3

Minus, I suggest you go over what you think Orb has over Blizzard. But, Blizzard seems to be more popular for damage, but most of the PvM people seem to like Orb over Blizzard for it's accuracy and range... Most of the PvP say Blizzard so far.

keep giving your opionions! :)

MinusDII

Diabloii.Net Member

Blizzard means you don't have enough points for ES, so just like a max damage light build or a max damage fire build I don't like it. Orb has plenty of damage anyway, with my last Orb sorc 2 accurate orbs would kill Mephi and that seems like plenty of killing power to me.

chiangee

Diabloii.Net Member

I usually go with the builds that take skill to duel with, seeing that both take skill, I shall go with Orb because I have mastered it and me being lazy it is easier to aim with. Also orb pierces.

Q33

Diabloii.Net Member

Im going with Orb. I think in the current patch, blizz is probably better, but it seems so boring. I like Orb for nostalgia reasons...and people would have laughed at a blizz sorc back when I played.

sirpoopsalot

Diabloii.Net Member

If you're doing a hybrid build or ES build, use orb. If going pure cold, do blizzard. Blizzard totally pwns in the damage department, but only if you max its synergies.
Exactly. My preference is decided by "what else do I want from this sorc?"

If I want fast killing and high damage, Blizzard wins. If I want versatility and a few extra skillpoints to spend elsewhere, it's FO.

biasedlife

Diabloii.Net Member

Blizzard means you don't have enough points for ES, so just like a max damage light build or a max damage fire build I don't like it. Orb has plenty of damage anyway, with my last Orb sorc 2 accurate orbs would kill Mephi and that seems like plenty of killing power to me.
what was your build for orb sorc?
meteorb? can you list it down? thanks.
btw ur build defeat hell mobs? such as hell meph for mf runs?

KellKheraptis

Diabloii.Net Member

what was your build for orb sorc?
meteorb? can you list it down? thanks.
btw ur build defeat hell mobs? such as hell meph for mf runs?
Not to sound like Captain Obvious McTrolly, but any cold sorc will pwn Mephisto, due to his naturally lousy cold resistance. Myself, I prefer FO, for the simple reason that I'm deadly accurate with it, PvM or PvP. As one put it earlier, I'm also from the era when a Bliz sorc would have been laughed right out of a pk game (most likely as a porcupine from a dozen piercing GA's from a noobcannon zon). I currently have a Bliz sorc, and while she utterly pwns anything she hits with it, hitting isn't guaranteed, as it's not under my control. With an Orber, I know what's gonna eat that blast of cold shards :)

lumpor

Diabloii.Net Member

I think orb is better. it feels better to spray a whole area with lots of projectiles everywhere than a dozen slow-moving shards dropping down from above landing in a small area. Anyway, is it noone who maxes ice bolt to synergize frozen orb? Pure orb builds seem to be rare these days.