Blizzard Vs Frozen Orb

HCTwinJava

Diabloii.Net Member
I have a pure Blizz sorc, and I can push her Blizz dmg to 6K per cast, or more, with ice blast doing roughly half of that dmg per cast. but my question (to myself) was: what's good about it? she can't even kill Frozenstein in Norm diff, without a merc! I don't feel great about her, partly b/c I'm only intesested in PvM. Yup, Blizz is now a no-brainer PvP skill - unless you can absorb massive ice shards with huge stacked up cold resists, you instantly die.

Compared to Orb sorc, she's very slow in clearing large, easy areas: e.g., Norm/NM Chaos Sanctury, where an orb sorc could run around (not tele) and clear the entire area in a minute.

Blizz needs 60+ skill pts to be effective, whereas 20+ are enough to have a good enough Orb. So, obviously, you get, and only get, what you've paid for.

yuqing

Diabloii.Net Member
wookie: blizzard is not just harder to absorb because it has higher dmg, i beleive that the first hit of blizzard negates all resistance against it, and absorb doesnt work, or did they fix that bug?

darzog

Diabloii.Net Member
Well, I have both a Bliz sorc and a Meteorb and they both have their uses. Meteorb is great for Rushing, Tombing, Cowing (Norm+NM) there isn't really anything better in my opinion except maybe a lightning zon for area clearing. In Hell, this Sorc can hold her own, but she won't really own anything. She's good, but not my favorite.

Orb is great for being the best skill that doesn't require a synergy (except a few points in CM). If you go dual-tree, I would vote that this is the best skill for the lesser tree (since you spend more points to synergize CL/Lightning or FB/Meteor).

I can't believe no one has mentioned how to make Bliz totally effective for aiming: Your Merc! If you play well your merc will be teleported near a group of monsters, you back off slightly so you don't get swarmed, but most monsters are now sitting still waiting for the snow. Bliz them to death, and use Ice blast in between on anyone coming after you. My Bliz sorc can run Andy + Meph + Pindle + Baal faster than my Hammerdin (even with the immune skeletons in the 2nd wave). The sheer ferocity of a maxed synergized bliz is awesome. But you guys are right, if you play without a merc, you will get swarmed like crazy. But just position your merc well and nothing can stop you (except those damn Snakes).

I even use my Bliz sorc as my Hell rusher since she's faster than any of my other chars. The only places she can't do are Snake tomb and Chaos (since merc always dies).

HCTwinJava

Diabloii.Net Member
darzog said:
Well, I have both a Bliz sorc and a Meteorb and they both have their uses. Meteorb is great for Rushing, Tombing, Cowing (Norm+NM) there isn't really anything better in my opinion except maybe a lightning zon for area clearing. In Hell, this Sorc can hold her own, but she won't really own anything. She's good, but not my favorite.

Orb is great for being the best skill that doesn't require a synergy (except a few points in CM). If you go dual-tree, I would vote that this is the best skill for the lesser tree (since you spend more points to synergize CL/Lightning or FB/Meteor).

I can't believe no one has mentioned how to make Bliz totally effective for aiming: Your Merc! If you play well your merc will be teleported near a group of monsters, you back off slightly so you don't get swarmed, but most monsters are now sitting still waiting for the snow. Bliz them to death, and use Ice blast in between on anyone coming after you. My Bliz sorc can run Andy + Meph + Pindle + Baal faster than my Hammerdin (even with the immune skeletons in the 2nd wave). The sheer ferocity of a maxed synergized bliz is awesome. But you guys are right, if you play without a merc, you will get swarmed like crazy. But just position your merc well and nothing can stop you (except those damn Snakes).

I even use my Bliz sorc as my Hell rusher since she's faster than any of my other chars. The only places she can't do are Snake tomb and Chaos (since merc always dies).

- the same can be said of your Meterorb sorc though: tele around to the right spot, back off, let your merc tank, either drop meteor and spam FB, or cast blizz and shoot ib or gs.

- if you outfit your Meterorb sorc equally well (but talored for fire dmg), she'd become the fastest char you'd ever have.

- A pure Blizz sorc, if used as a rusher in Hell mode, can't grab Hell act2 staff/ammy easily on her own, can't clear entire Chaos Sanctuary fast enough, can't rescue Hell Anya without completely relying on somewhat best equipped merc, can't pass or bypass all Baal's minions easily... Surely, she's good at killing all 5 act bosses, but a Meterorb sorc does that equally well (if not better).

- In my opinion, a Blizz sorc outshines an equivalently equipped Meteor/FB sorc in both norm & NM, and is much cheaper to build and level up. But in Hell mode, a Blizz sorc might be better only if your could equip your merc with much more expensive gear.

BTW, if you remove the wpn from your merc, he can survive entire Hell Chaos runs: including clearing of the entire areas. Give him the wpn back before spawning Diablo (I forgot this twice recently :), and he'll survive Diablo if he can has good LL and your sorc can help him tank Diablo (a rushing sorc should have little trouble tanking all 5 act bosses).

FrozenHavoc

Diabloii.Net Member
Ive only used Blizz lately...orb seems to take the fun outa the game for me a bit. Too easy to just cast it, spam FB, repeat. I like aiming blizzard..and praying. The praying is more fun in a way :D

Aiming the Blizz takes a while to get decent at...guess I'm just that bored :lol: