Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Blizzard vs. Frozen Orb

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by whathappen, Mar 1, 2004.

1. whathappen

whathappen IncGamers Member

Blizzard vs. Frozen Orb

If I want to specialze on Fuire spells but use cold to slow down and kill fire inmunes, why people seem to prefer FO over blizzard? Is it because it does more damage? or slows more the mobs?

2. whathappen

Cold spells on Bosses

Does cold spells stop/slow down super bosses like meph? I ask this because I know that assis mind blast attack does not stunt bosses.

3. Tapewar

Tapewar IncGamers Member

Blizzard does more damage then orb when fully synergized (FO only gets ice bolt as a syn, and its a pretty bad one) but with just the spell and mastery, i think orb does more damage. And yes, frozen orb (and any cold damage related effects) slow down all monsters, including meph and super uniques etc, except cold immunes. You cant FREEZE bosses or unique monsters though (which only ice blast and glacial spike do). As well, i think frozen orb might chill them for longer period of time then blizzard does, but i could be wrong there.

4. Stiertje

Stiertje IncGamers Member

Orb is easier to aim then Blizzard and Blizzard doesn't always hit. The slowing effect is the same though for both cold attacks. The duration can differ though.

When you are using this attack purely to freeze monsters then I wouldn't go for Orb or Blizzard. Glacial Spike is the best attack here because it actually freezes monsters, not only slowing them down but stopping them. Glacial Spike also has an area of effect similar to Fireball, so adjacent monsters get frozen too.

5. Dark Tyrant

Dark Tyrant IncGamers Member

I made a pure Blizzard sorc and I like the damage and all but sometimes I miss the enemies even when they are standing still. I cast 3 blizzards on top of them and they stand there unharmed. This happens a few times, especially when they stand next to a wall.

I'm wondering if a pure orb sorc would be effective in MFing and PvP myself.

6. whathappen

I understand now. TY guys!

7. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir IncGamers Member

FO simply freezes the whole screen.

Blizzard does better damage (if you invest all those synergies) but it is as said hard to aim.

the reason people use blizzard for mf is that they dont want to freeze whole screens, they want to kill only mephi.

8. Stormcryer

Stormcryer IncGamers Member

Been playing arround with a Bliz/Meteor/CL archmage. Yes Tri-elementalist.

Before anyone comes up with "archmage isn't viable" I have taken this sorc solo through to act 5 hell with only 1 death, (due to my own keyboarding mistake -- windows key oh how I hate thee), and will probably finish up act v in the same manner.

One thing I have found is that Blizz can be tough to aim, especially when monster is standing near a wall, but the attack method I have found is to move 45 degrees from your last position and recast, then move 90 degrees from origanal position and recast. By moving you8 change your location in relation to the standstill monster and accomplish either one of the two following;

1) I believe that blizzard covers an area as it realates to your position on the screen and in some cases will even overlap some of the resudal falling cold and the new stike caused by your immedeate cast (after nmoving slightly).

2) By moving your position and still casting, you incite the standstill monster to move into your falling cold.

The main reason I did not opt fro FO is that when doing pit runs, especially in the lost city and Ancient tunnels I can shoot over top of minor obstructions like the partial walls in the city, fallen object, etc, and fling Blizz out as a crowd controller. I usually switch up to meteor after a few blizz strikes, and get the stacking of cold and fire going at the same time. I then compound this with CL strikes.

Hell Diablo went doen in about 10 seconds using the following;
    Right mouse - bliz, bliz- switch static, static, static- switch, bliz - switch, meteor -switch, bliz -switch, meteor, meteor, meteor,, meteor (all teh while dancing like a mad man on the left mouse CL.

Using a defiance merc as a meat shield, I have been able to use this attack method to literally cakewalk all the Norm, NM, and so far , hell act bosses.

The final bonus is that a prioperly set up, equiped, and played, the Archmage can also be useed to rush players, quest in teams, or solo, and deal with dual immunes, with little trouble.

Storm

9. Dark Tyrant

Dark Tyrant IncGamers Member

Make a guide!

10. Stormcryer

11. xAnjelofLytex

xAnjelofLytex IncGamers Member

Frozen Orb is probably the best choice if you are looking to invest your main points for dmg in Fire spells. Covers a wider range than Blizz.

~Anjel

12. weregamer

weregamer IncGamers Member

I'm confused. I thought the term "Pit Run" referred to a MF run in the dungeon called The Pit (in the Tamoe Highlands in Act I), as described in many posts here. Did you mean "when not doing pit runs"?

I'm of two minds about FO vs Blizzard myself. At lower levels where my 1.10 sorc is right now (L32 in normal Act III), they each show strengths. Blizzard has range, continuing effect (handy vs fetish shamans), and the occasional chance to shoot over or around a wall. But FO hits reliably and can be spammed for tougher monsters (and spamming two takes care of the fetish shaman problem). In the long run, the fact that you can get really great damage from FO by maxing only a couple of skills, leaving lots of points for a second element, is drawing me toward that choice.

13. Stormcryer

Pit runs refers to the lvl85 areas where nasties can drop metter items. "The Pits" are as follows;
    The Pit (Act 1 Tamoe Highland), Ancient tunnels (Act 2 beneath Lost City ) "The forgoten requiem" and the other basement (cant remeber it's name) -(Act 3 Causeway). Other lvl85 areas = act 4 River of Flame and Chaos Act 5 - Sanctuary and Worldstone 2, 3, Throne Room, and Baal

See Diabloii.net compendium article "The Pits" for details

And as I said, when combining the terrain in all of these areas, there's spots where FO bounces off minor obstructions and can;t be used as you do not have direct line of sight, blizz does not have these restrictions. That's why I wanted to test out my build w blizz. Better range, simialr damage, and better long range crowd control.

Once I have proven that the Bliz/CL/Metoer Archmage can solo the entire game, I'm going to put the FO/CL/meteor combo to the test.

I am certain that either build is viable, but to be fair to the FO fans out there I'll ramp up a new char, equip her with the same layout that i have..(to keep the test controlled properly) and then see how much faster the "in game" experience is.

I have found that by stacking bliz and Meteor I can get some very effective and quick killing times, but if the math says that FO can do it better , then I'll have to test it and
    see.

Cheers!

Storm