Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Blizzard suing SC2 cheat creators

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Glass, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Glass

Glass Diabloii.Net Member

Blizzard suing SC2 cheat creators

Looks like Blizzard is putting the precdent set in MDY vs Blizzard to good use and have have filed suit against 3 people they're accusing of developing and selling 3rd party cheats for Starcraft II.

This should surely put people off making hacks/bots for D3?

2. Risingred

Risingred Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Blizzard suing SC2 cheat creators

Probably not. It isn't nearly as easy to detect a bot as it is a hack.
    That, and people are stupid.

3. Glass

A bot was the focus of the MDY case, which Blizzard won.

People with the ability to reverse engineer games and write hacks for them generally aren't.

Stupid people will still use them, but hopefully there will be a decline in people making them since they'll be too scared of getting sued (unless they live a non-US friendly country that doesn't care about copyright and they never have any intention of visiting the US).

4. Risingred

That says nothing about how easy or hard it is to detect something. That just says they figured out who made the hack.

If you see other people who make hacks for Blizzard games get sued, and you decide it is a good idea, you're stupid. And should get sued. :p

In that case, the US would come to them in the form of the long arm of copyright law.

5. cacophony

cacophony Diabloii.Net Member

Ask the MPAA and RIAA about how effective the "long arm of US copyright law" is in China or eastern Europe. One of the best IT tips for a small business I ever read; if you're a local business w/ no overseas ambitions, you can safely "block" IPs from China, Poland, and former Soviet republics. This will cut down over 90% of all "wasted" traffic from hacks and bots and other nasty things. The "lawlessness" of technology in those countries is pretty staggering.

6. Risingred

*shrug*

Blizzard has a vested interest in all of those countries. And it's hardly like there isn't precedence for suing someone outside of the US for US-based copyright infringement. Hell, look at the OT here and you'll see numerous cases.

7. AxeX

AxeX Diabloii.Net Member

Glad to have more proof that they still care about their games.

8. permaximum

permaximum Banned

Actually they care more... about their products.

9. Sass

Sass Diabloii.Net Member

For a game company, products are games...

10. konfeta

konfeta Diabloii.Net Member

Lawl. Sometimes Perma's English just leads to epic results.

11. permaximum

permaximum Banned

I'm sure i explained myself well with "products" :)

12. Sass

Sass Diabloii.Net Member

The problem is, you just repeated what others say, but slightly different as if thinking that has some additional meaning.

All without ever explaining your point. We don't read minds.

13. konfeta

konfeta Diabloii.Net Member

I could vaguely guess based on my understanding of the difference between my native language and English that he may have meant "money" as in "Blizard produces money with these games and that's what Blizzard cares for," but, really, Perma, not all of us have such background.

14. Risingred

If I may ask, what is your native language?
    I am astounded by the fluency of many of the forum members who didn't learn English as their mother tongue.

On topic, there are plenty of people who make money off of WoW from one way or another, ways that aren't legal due to copyright law, but Blizzard only goes after the people who are affecting the actual game and how it is played, how enjoyable it is.

Either way, they are protecting their investment.

15. Sass

Sass Diabloii.Net Member

It's a completely different business focus. Products refers to the good they distribute.

Money has to deal with revenue, which can vary independently of their products.

If money was their grab, they would raise prices due to the essential monopoly (not a literal one) they have on these kinds of games. Alternatively, they could worry about the quantity of sales rather than quality of sales (a lot for a little rather than few for a lot).

That ties back in with how well the products are made.

By all means, let the business want to make money (a shocker!)--I'll be getting a high quality game as usual.

16. ThomasJ

ThomasJ Diabloii.Net Member

I guess they need more money for their new mmo.

17. In the name of Zod

In the name of Zod Diabloii.Net Member

The 'WoW experience' would be different for every player. It can't be defined so I don't see how blizzard have a legal leg to stand on in this case. WoW experience - great legal terminology, very respectable effort from blizzard - not. Blizzard will have to come up with better than that to convince me they are to be taken serious when it comes to protecting its investments.

18. Glass

Blizzard sent a cease and desist notice to a guy who was selling a levelling guide a few years ago, and at the same time that they released their Armory iPhone app they had another app that was being charged for removed, but didn't worry about another few free Armory iPhone apps. They also prohibit selling addons.

It seems to be once you're making money of their IP Blizzard wants to stop you, but if you do it for free they don't care (probably wouldn't apply to making hacks though -- will be interesting to see if they go after someone who makes and distributes them for free at some point).

I like this bit:

Because it is oh-so-true. How many times have you read someone on the internet say "I don't play X because of cheaters". Heck, I'm pretty sure a lot of people have taken that stance with Diablo 2.

Yeah, they absolutely didn't have a leg to stand on. That's why the won the case and MDY were ordered to pay them $6mil.

19. In the name of Zod

In the name of Zod Diabloii.Net Member

Happened a lot when you played D1. There was always an *** who would run in the the archangels staff of appoc and nuke the team, res, nuke, res, nuke. Wasn't fun at all but thats how the game played. If there is a flaw in the game and someone exploits it we can them cheats. If its done technically we call it breaking the law now? They are just reaching out for more clout. But it seems ridiculous when it all over a game. Would you take your 5 yo brother to court for moving a house around on the board while playing monopoly? Everyone knows people cheat in games.

20. Glass

Does your brother rent the monopoly board from Hasbro? Did he agree to any terms that explicitly state you must not move houses around on the board? His he profiting financially by selling tools that allow people to breach Hasbro's terms and conditions by moving these houses around? Is Hasbro suffering financially because people won't buy Monopoly because of people using this tool to move the houses around?