Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

blizzard sorc question

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by spedmonger, Sep 23, 2006.

1. spedmonger

spedmonger IncGamers Member

blizzard sorc question

im making a blizz sorc, and i was wondering if it would be better to max blizzard, then max cold mastery, thenblizzard's synergies, OR should i max blizzard and put no points into cold mastery, but rather all into blizzard's synergies? all help is greatly appreciated

2. FrostBurn

FrostBurn IncGamers Member

Max Blizzard first, but at clvl 30, put one point into CM, then continue to max out Blizzard. After that, get CM to slvl 32 for -175% enemy cold resistance (either max, or vary depending on amount of +skills). Finally, max out Blizzard's synergies in the order of IceBlast, GlacialSpike, and finally IceBolt.

The rationale behind this is:
    1. Blizzard offers the greatest increase in damage when being maxed.

2. CM at slvl 17 is optimal for non-CI monsters. Diminishing returns kick in above slvl 17. However, to bring a boss down to -100% cold resistance, slvl 27 is needed for Baal and slvl 32 is needed for Mephisto. Also, CM offers greater damage compared to Blizzard synergies when facing cold resistant monsters.

3. The synergies offer less increase to Blizzard damage, which is why they are to be maxed after Blizzard and CM.

3. MageChick

MageChick IncGamers Member

For a blizzard only sorc you have enough points to do it all if you level your sorc high enough. Max Blizzard, Max all the synergies, Max cold Mastery.

Now in order to maximise your damage before you are a high enough level to just max them all, do something like this

1. Start out by putting points into Blizzards synergies until you get get to lvl 24. (You have to put at least 1 point into them for pre-req's)

2. Then from lvl 24-29 put everything into blizzard.

3. At level 30 put one point into cold mastery. Then resume maxing blizzard.

4. After you have blizzard maxed (about level 44 I think) then put about 9 more points into cold mastery (now you're at level 54 or so).

5. Beyond that put your points into Blizzards damage synergies. Probably Ice Blast first, then Ice Bolt.

6. Once those two are maxes as well you can increase your CM some more if you want or put points into Glacial Spike or longer blizzard freeze length.

7. If you level high enough you'll have enough points to max them all and this is kinda irrelavant.

*edit, Sorry, got interupted and Fostburn beat me to it. I'm not a real fan of pumping glacial spike before you have the blizzard damage synergies maxed though. But I've only ever done one straight blizzard sorc, so he may have more expertice here than me.

4. FrostBurn

Well, if you really wanted to maximise your damage output down to the last drop, then max in order of IBlast, IBolt, and finally GSpike. That would allow IBlast to have the highest possible damage.

Personally, I feel that pure Blizzard sorcs pump out so much damage as it is (even in 8 player games), than I would prefer to have GSpike maxed first which then offers a longer freezing duration for both IBlast and GSpike, and have a slightly lower damage IBlast.

Of course, Blizzard gets the same damage output no matter what order you put your points into its synergies.

5. spedmonger

spedmonger IncGamers Member

so what you guys are basically saying is to put 10 or so points into CM then ice blast, glacial spike, and ice bolt?

6. FrostBurn

It depends on how many +skills you have from your gear, how high you want your CM to be after +skills, where you plan to run, and whether you prefer a max damage IBlast, or a longer freeze GSpike.

As you can see, it isn't so simple as 10 here, 20 there, etc. It's depends on you and your build.