Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Blizzard Sorc question.

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by MasaM, Feb 4, 2004.

1. MasaM

MasaM IncGamers Member

Blizzard Sorc question.

What synergies i should put when i do pure blizzard (cold) sorc? Its synergies are ice bolt, ice blast, glacial spike and cold mastery. If i max all i need 100 skill points plus 1 teleport/static field/warmth. I need to be lvl90 to do that. Which skill i should max first?

Im doing hell meph sorc. So if someone has other ideas what i should do, please tell me. :)

2. FrustratedNecro9500

FrustratedNecro9500 IncGamers Member

which synergy?

i would max glacial spike 1st out of the synergies, this way u have the max freeze duration possible. blizzard's potential isnt maximized if the monsters are allowed to trudge through it, so freeze them with glacial spike while they are in the blizzard and blizzard will take them down much more effectively. i would max cold mastery after that. pretty generic advice, im sure some goofball here can give u a bunch of crazy numeric advantages of maxing this vs. maxing that or whatever hehe.

3. Beatboxer

Beatboxer Member

F the numbers, that sounds like a sound assessment and advice to me Frustrated nec.;)

I' m clvl 27, making a Blizz based, sorc right now and I chose to max ice blast first, for possibly more single target damage over spike. I don't think it will end up being much higher than spike though and, through playing, Gspike is way more useful and faster than ice blast is.

I'd say spike is your best as the spam skill to max first, from playing experience.:)

4. sasja

sasja IncGamers Member

For a pure Mephisto Blizzard sorc, go for Ice Blast. As a Blizzard sorc, you'll max Blizzard, Cold Mastery and two synergies (at high levels, you may get to put points in the third, too).

Maxed Glacial Spike with either maxed Ice Bolt or Ice Blast will do 476.5 average damage. Maxed Ice Blast with maxed Ice Bolt will do 1090.9 (that's without +skills which would make the difference even more notable). The freeze length will be about the same, and Ice Blast will be cheaper than Glacial Spike. So for a single opponent, Ice Blast beats Glacial Spike.

That said, Glacial Spike is more useful for questing as it affects a whole group and travels faster through the air.

5. Shanksie1337

Shanksie1337 IncGamers Member

Once you are levelled up you'll rely on blizz and ice blast in the casting gaps, as for which order to max synergies i guess it depends on how you plan on levelling her up. If u going to fast level her via 8 man baal runs on each difficulty, bliz on its own will do it for you. If u are going to quest her again it depends on solo/party questing, but again imo the difference is minimal. Get a merc, gear him up to survive (my fave set up is: Tal's mask / Shaft / Reapers - or similar items at lower levels - but at lower levels ressurecting him costs little anyway). Then simply run about until all the enemies are grouped round the merc, then a few blizz's on his head will clear the lot. Bliz isn't very hard to aim, just assume all enemies will rush at you when they see you, so drop a blizz somewhere between you and them and they'll happily rush into it. :D
    If partied CI's will be killed by the rest of the party, if solo then either tp/run away and ignore them, or find an second element on switch and use this to help merc with the CI's

As for the points distribution:
    20 bliz
    20 cm
    20 gs
    20 i blast
    1 in tp
    1 warmth
    then all remaining points in ice bolt

try and get an armour spell via gear/swtich weap - ie snowclash belt to save skill point/s. imo leave off the static field - not needed, meph dies in 3 blizz's with blasts in the gap - about 10 seconds - without it, so you aren't going to get much faster than that anyways.

My sorc is lvl82 and tbh she slaughtered meph in the early 70's in full levelling gear, then as i got better at runs, and gained a few more levels i gradually swapped in mf gear. Once u have 20 bliz, 20 cm and ~30 in synergies he dies quickly enough, so don't think she has to be clvl 90 to be effective - plus you'll have a few +skills no matter how rich a player you are.

In a nutshell - max cm and blizz, then try each of the synergies out and see which u prefer using in conjuction with blizz - i found just blizz'ing everything worked fine, and i just used ice blast on the bosses to speed things up a bit.

6. sasja

sasja IncGamers Member

If you're going to use Ice Blast, you should max Ice Bolt rather than Glacial Spike, as Ice Bolt will add to Ice Blast's damage.

7. Shanksie1337

Shanksie1337 IncGamers Member

true, i used my own method when making my build as i wasn't sure which synergy i liked as a swicth from blizz, origianlly i prefered GS when levelling - hence i maxed that first. Now i only run Hell meph i found blast was much better in the timecast gaps when i can't cast blizz. It still does 1k+ damage and i can fire 4/5 off in the gap when i can't blizz so the difference of a few 100 damage is not going to cause any problems when facing meph. Plus as i level it put the points into bolt, but when killing meph blizz is the killing tool, blast is just for a little more speed and to help keep the merc alive.

So yes you are right, if i were to just do meph, bolt would have been maxed before GS, but i found that when leveling and facing more than a few enemies GS was easier to use. Either way Blizz is the main killer, any thing else is just to look busy in the time delay gaps. :D

8. JpM

JpM IncGamers Member

i found this build to be nice , and ima start it tonight, the only thing i need to know is what stats to put? heh

ok str : enough for the items
    dex : enough for items / 75%block?
    vit : much
    mana : i readed someone who said base mana .. wtf this is a sorc how much in there ? ;o!

9. JpM

JpM IncGamers Member

oh also plz note this is a MF sorc

10. krakdaddie

krakdaddie IncGamers Member

i would do the 4 points into not related blizz stuff early and get them out of the way..static warmth etc...the take blizz and synergies up to 5-10..and a cpl in mastery...then start to max blizz...then blast..then other synergies...and do mastry last...just keep dropping all your points to it...i use my blizz sorc for meph...she does about 3.5k wearing 660mf...and 9.4k wearing her blizz gear

krakdaddie