Blizzard should streamline the content of D3!!!!

Gallant One

Diabloii.Net Member
Blizzard should streamline the content of D3!!!!

Instead of beating the complete game on 3 difficulty levels as in past games, Blizz needs to streamline all three difficulty levels into one game. Let me explain. Break the game down into 3 ACTS (with loads of quests). Act 1 would be "normal" difficulty (maybe takes place in the realm). You could level up here until around your mid 30's if you choose. Act 2 would be like "nightmare" (maybe takes place in heaven). You could level to you mid 60's if you choose. Finally, ACT 3 would culminate in Hell with a battle against Diablo. Of course since you are literally in Hell, the diffuclty level would be "hell' (no pun intended). :) You could finish the game anywhere from your mid 80's to 99 (or higher if Bizz wanted to). I think stream-lining the story would eliminate the redundancing of playing through all three difficulty levels over and over again. Also, there would be more of a sense of accomplishment in that beating the game is tied in with leveling your character. It won't seem as "mindless." Once you complete the game, you could jump through any act to MF or level up. What do you think???

PS: Any add-ons (additional Acts) would be "hell" level, because your character would be high level anyway.

Kiroptus

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Blizzard should streamline the content of D3!!!!

Nah I like the normal/nightmare/hell mode. It just needs some additions like what Titan Quest did: Extra secret bosses and some monsters learn some new tricks then it seems like a fresh new quest.

I always find it fun to see familiar faces (being it bosses or normal monsters) stronger and with new tricks. So the overall content lasts longer.

Ceebee

Diabloii.Net Member

I actually think it's an alright idea, it could make sense storywise as well.

Norm difficulty, fighting demons in the mortal world.
Nightmare diffi, fight demons in heaven (being chosen to help repell the attack, due to your efforts on the ground)
Hell diffi, fighting demons in hell (because you proved your worth by helping in the defence, now you can begin the offensive.

MrCanon

Diabloii.Net Member

Instead of beating the complete game on 3 difficulty levels as in past games, Blizz needs to streamline all three difficulty levels into one game. Let me explain. Break the game down into 3 ACTS (with loads of quests). Act 1 would be "normal" difficulty (maybe takes place in the realm). You could level up here until around your mid 30's if you choose. Act 2 would be like "nightmare" (maybe takes place in heaven). You could level to you mid 60's if you choose. Finally, ACT 3 would culminate in Hell with a battle against Diablo. Of course since you are literally in Hell, the diffuclty level would be "hell' (no pun intended). :) You could finish the game anywhere from your mid 80's to 99 (or higher if Bizz wanted to). I think stream-lining the story would eliminate the redundancing of playing through all three difficulty levels over and over again. Also, there would be more of a sense of accomplishment in that beating the game is tied in with leveling your character. It won't seem as "mindless." Once you complete the game, you could jump through any act to MF or level up. What do you think???

PS: Any add-ons (additional Acts) would be "hell" level, because your character would be high level anyway.
Oh dear god no.

what's with all these awful suggestion lately ?
no difficulty settings, no potion chugging, no town portals...

It won't be Diablo anymore if you change it this much.

Diablo 2 is almost -THE- perfect online ARPG.
just add a few things from next generation games (shared stash, mail,auction house, etc) and you'll have Diablo 3.

zooply

Diabloii.Net Member

I don't care much for the idea myself cause one of the things I'm hoping for in D3 is that the map is one solid piece as opposed to D2 where instead of walking to Lut Gholein, you'd be sent to Act 2: Lut Gholein. Plus it wouldn't make too much sense to have Heaven as nightmare difficulty and Hell as.... um... hell. If that were the case Hell would already sitting in the clouds right now. A fix to that could be that for Heaven you start at the front lines, and for hell you get sent deep into the center.

I would prefer instead 3 maps: Earth, Heaven, and Hell. They would all be separate maps, each with various areas of difficulty. Traveling between worlds would require access points. To reach Hell you'd have to go through tombs, fissures, caves, etc. For heaven you'd go to a church, shrines, or by hitting blocks with vines. If they are on different 'planes' then of course it'd just be portal shrines.

Merick

Diabloii.Net Member

I would prefer two difficulties. Normal and nightmare just aren't different enough, and asking people to go through the game three times is a bit much.

Es Mors

Diabloii.Net Member

The reason for keeping the difficulty levels is beyond me. Forcing people to play through the same content three times in order for them to finish the game? What is this, a NES game? Doom 1?

Opeeq

Diabloii.Net Member

I like zooply's idea with the 3 planes

It would also be great if there were no static points of entrance to other planes, like waypoints or quest portals. Instead you would have to search for a portal shrine on your plane to go to the other planes. Or something like that

This would require some thinking though, how it would work and all

garef

Diabloii.Net Member

All this will result in no interest replaying the game. Why? Because if you finish the game lvl80 then if you replay act3 then you will get what? 2 levels?And the other acts would be totally boring to replay with a character much stronger than the first time you played it.

Kiroptus

Diabloii.Net Member

But its nice to see famliar faces and scenarios adequated to your level. For example: I love Act1, its has lots of open areas and the action is fast. If this was done, after I level up I can forget about Act1 completely because the level diference would be too high. With the difficult system, when I get to hell, I can do some runs on act1 itself.

I think the difficult system should stay, its just that the levels and the monsters' abilities should change more on higher difficult levels. Maybe more unique monsters as well, like Manticore, Hydra and Talos in Titan quest, big nasty unique monsters that could spawn only in higher difficults.

Last edited:

Dirkw

Diabloii.Net Member

But its nice to see famliar faces and scenarios adequated to your level. For example: I love Act1, its has lots of open areas and the action is fast. If this was done, after I level up I can forget about Act1 completely because the level diference would be too high. With the difficult system, when I get to hell, I can do some runs on act1 itself.
What if, in d3, if the new idea of 'streamlining' was done, you disliked all the early parts but liked the later ones? Would there still be a problem? Guess you'd be more than happy to forget about act 1 then =).

I somewhat like how it is now, because as you can especially notice with a frozen orb sorceress, it's great to note how tough the game in normal was and how you can all of a sudden mow through things with ease on nightmare.

I think that part of d2 is pretty great. But it's too bad that this aspect isn't really well executed or balanced for all classes because some classes (barb, melee pala, ...) don't pick up steam as much as others do.

Kiroptus

Diabloii.Net Member

What if, in d3, if the new idea of 'streamlining' was done, you disliked all the early parts but liked the later ones? Would there still be a problem? Guess you'd be more than happy to forget about act 1 then =)
Yeah but if I didnt? What if the only option was to stay in the final act? The rest of the game soon will become obsolete. With the difficult modes you can revisit the acts with a diferent take on it. In D2 you can find good stuff in act1 hell or go to high level TC areas like the Pit and the Mausoleum and Crypt, you can go to act4 Chaos sanct as well, etc...

Difficult modes are a good concept that can be worked on. Just add more stuff when in nightmare and hell mode, give lots of new tricks to the boss acts (with the streamline idea, the cool and well-designed bosses soon become worthless, and again: its good to see familiar faces stronger and with new tricks).

Dirkw

Diabloii.Net Member

What I'm saying is... Your point boils down to taste, and you may be lucky or you may not.
If you liked one act but disliked all the others, you'd wish for all the others acts to be like the first one.
There's no estimating the chances of you becoming satisfied with 12 different acts, as opposed to 3x4 different acts.

What we have to look for is the distinct difference between properties of a streamlined concept (repeating the same maps for a few times) and properties of a straightforward series of different maps. One of those is that in a 'streamlined' design, you wouldn't be able to explore earlier-visted area's with another level of relative strength.

Kiroptus

Diabloii.Net Member

But what about the bosses? Its cool to see them scale with your power. If everything is streamlined into one single big journey with no diff modes, not only the main quest would be way too long but many of the cool act bosses would never scale back to your power and soon will be forgotten and limited just to low level characters.

I have a hard time picturing a diablo game journey without difficult modes. Unless its an open MMO like WoW. But then... if it mimics WoW it would hardly resemble diablo anyway.

Dirkw

Diabloii.Net Member

But what about the bosses? Its cool to see them scale with your power. If everything is streamlined into one single big journey with no diff modes, not only the main quest would be way too long but many of the cool act bosses would never scale back to your power and soon will be forgotten and limited just to low level characters.
Which was exactly my point :thumbup:

The question is: what other things are there to consider?

Kiroptus

Diabloii.Net Member

I think Titan Quest showed how cool dificult modes can be when its well-done. The big bad boss: Talos, is a big giant automaton that is deactivated when you pass through him in normal mode. But in legendary mode, he awakes and you have one of the hardest battles in the game. Those surprises need to be explored.

sicilian

Diabloii.Net Member

The reason for keeping the difficulty levels is beyond me. Forcing people to play through the same content three times in order for them to finish the game? What is this, a NES game? Doom 1?
No, in D2 you don't have to go through the content 3 times to finish the game either... you only go through it once. The story concludes after normal.

If you make it so you have to go through the equivalent of Normal, Nightmare, and Hell just to progress through the story, it would take the fun out of character customization. In order to finish the game on Hell in D2, you really had to specialize your character, you couldn't make use of all the fun "toys" a class had to offer. You could get away with spreading out your points and still complete the game on normal (thus finding out what happens), but for the real challenge you had to be more strategic.

I like it that way.

lumpor

Diabloii.Net Member

I don't really think they made several difficulties because it's more fun. I think it's because it would take too long time to make 81 individual quests and 15 individual acts. I'm not saying blizzard are lazy or cheap. It's just that all proffesional gaming companies have a deadline and a budget. And if they spend too much money making a game, the profit will decrease. And making games IS for making money after all. It would be better if all quests were different, but either the game would become short, or too expensive to make