Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Blizzard press conference set for Gamescom - Expansion news?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Elly, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Elly

Elly Administrator

[​IMG]

Gamescom gets underway in Cologne in just over a week and this year Blizzard are holding another press conference on Wednesday 5th. It was a couple of years ago at Gamescom that Reaper of Souls was announced as the first expansion so can we expect another expansion announcement this year? There's been plenty of rumours flying around that now could indeed be the time.

[caption id="attachment_385135" align="alignright" width="190"][​IMG] Every game except Diablo 3?[/caption]Of course we don't know what's going to happen and your guess is as good as ours at the moment. There's usually an indication of what the announcements could be, if there will be any, a few days before the conference. The speculation at the moment is that a new WoW expansion or Diablo 3 expansion could be possible announcements.

With BlizzCon happening later this year, if there was to be a WoW expansion, it would likely happen there as that event is usually far more WoW focussed than Diablo

All previous Diablo announcements have happened in Europe, the game announcement at WWI in 2008 and the Reaper of Souls expansion at Gamescom in 2013 so perhaps that's something to think about.

The press conference kicks off at midday on the 5th so if you're intrigued then keep an eye out for an announcement and also look over this previous speculation post.

Thanks Nobbie.

Update: Note that Blizzard's Gamescom promo image shows all of their current games... except for Diablo 3. Notable by its absence? (The ghost winged Diablo skeleton in the back is from Heroes of the Storm.)

Also, as Nobbie points out in comments, there's a new and unsourced rumor that D3X2 is going to be called "The Dark Prophet." There's no firm base for the rumor, but it does satisfy the "always three or four words" criteria for the name of a Blizzard expansion (though it lacks "of" as the middle word, which is unusual... why not "Prophet of the Dark?")

Also, the lore and story of the the Enchantress follower focuses heavily on a mysterious figure known as "The Prophet," who recruited the Enchantresses around 1500 years ago, and who we eventually learn was the Angel Inarius in disguise. Click through for videos telling his lore and story.

Update #2: Alas, Gamescom is set to be WoWCon...

https://twitter.com/Grimiku/status/626456892345155584

Inarius history and lore.

Double followers scenes and story. The Enchantresses talk a bit about The Prophet at 6:50.
    Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2015
  2. sicilian

sicilian IncGamers Member

If it does happen to be a new expansion, I hope they just go balls to the wall with it. A huge new act, a new customization system as game changing as the runes/runewords were in LoD, two new classes, the works. I feel like the slow trickle of free new stuff over the past year makes this less likely, but I also feel it REQUIRES the expansion to be bigger, because otherwise it just looks like a slightly larger patch that I have to pay for.

3. Timesink

Timesink IncGamers Member

I agree. But in addition to new--systems, classes, act--I would love to see a complete review of the old. Review all skills, passives, items and make them fit with the state of the game the expansion would bring. I'd personally like to see the end of infinite scaling systems--GRs, paragon levels, etc. Instead I'd like to see true build diversity and more things to do. Instead of doing the same thing over and over again, just 13% harder.

4. sicilian

Yeah, I think I feel the same way. One of the things that always pushed me forward in Diablo 2 was wanting to complete the Pandemonium Event solo. I grinded to build a Zealot Paladin specifically designed to survive and bring down the Ubers. I then had a Necro who was good at farming Nihilithak and an Amazon built to zap through the Arcane Sanctuary (Pally took care of the Countess), so I could farm keys. All in all, when I finally did that, I felt like I had "beaten" the game.

Now I feel like that's lacking, as no matter what I do, there's always something higher that I'll never beat.

5. nobbie

nobbie IncGamers Member

There's a rumor going on since last week that "The Dark Prophet" is allegedly the next WoW expansion. Some personal thoughts on this: The author of the "leak" (who seems to have a Blizzard source because he had "forecast" details of WoD before its announcement) might just have been creative on the "Eye of Azshara" trademark, which was filed by Blizzard last November and which was briefly visible via the TM View trademark database. I consider this just wishful thinking on his part, though, because WoD is rather unpopular among WoW fans. The chance that WOWX6 premieres at gamescom is smaller than 1%.

That said, "The Dark Prophet" may actually have been leaked to him prior to gamescom, where many fans expect - after 2 years of waiting - the premiere of the second Diablo 3 expansion. While the title "The Dark Prophet" would be untypical for a WoW expansion, it perfectly fits the naming tradition of Diablo expansions ("Lord of Destruction" (Baal), "Reaper of Souls" (Malthael)). Is "The Dark Prophet" referring to the rogue archangel Inarius? Will Lilith, Mephisto, Rathma, and the Nephalem perhaps play a role? If Rathma is in, is the Necromancer (or a Necro hybrid) the next cass and not the Druid? Lorewise, Inarius would be spot on after the events of RoS. Also, the current HotS Eternal Conflict promotion goes hand in hand with that lore as Inarius hated the conflict and for that reason created Sanctuary and the Nephalem. I have a strong feeling that we lean more about this very soon. ^^

6. nobbie

nobbie IncGamers Member

PS: Incgamers has a video with all RoS dialogues of Inarius up on YouTube. You can find it here, definitely worth to hear as "teaser": https://goo.gl/fpH0cp

7. sicilian

I would be slightly disappointed if the primary antagonist is once again an Angel. I kind of want the spirit of The Prime Evil (now free from the black soulstone) to resurrect in it's original form as The Dragon. Perhaps the Dark Prophet is the spirit of Leah (now also free) returning to forewarn the return of the Dragon.

8. nobbie

nobbie IncGamers Member

Well, Inarius is connected to Lilith (lover) and Mephisto (her father), so that'd be quite exciting stuff imo. ^^ By the way, Nova's Amazon Skin in HotS is still TBA (because it might refer to the Amazon home Skovos Isles in D3X2), and another yet unknown Diablo hero has also not been announced yet (because he might be part of D3X2).

9. DaveTheBrave

DaveTheBrave IncGamers Member

I'm going to blow your mind, ya'll.

Diablo 4. Monthly subscription or freemium model.

*drops mic*

10. sicilian

Very true. Perhaps we can combine our ideas: The Dragon has returned, and the only way to face something of it's magnitude is to unlock the true power of the Nephalem. So who better to consult on it than the parents of the original Nephalem. Inarius could be the Dark Prophet as an ancillary character instead of the final villain.

11. DaveTheBrave

DaveTheBrave IncGamers Member

Ok seriously someone fix the line breaks pretty please with sugar on top?

12. Dirgecaller

Dirgecaller IncGamers Member

Dark Prophet could be the prophet that sent Eirena on her mission.. He foresees the Lords of Hell being stuck, bound to the soul stones...puts into motion a series of events that sees all the stones destroyed releasing all the spirits of hell......................

Allow me to play Debbie Downer...................The announcement is nothing more than the "cool" new features coming in the patch on the PTR.

I'd hate to be right on that. I'd be more hopeful that this patch is simply a teaser of the expansion. Recipe drops for the Cube. Runewords make a comeback. whatever else we could speculate.......................

The timing seems right for expansion announcement. This patch launches...3-4 months of season 4. After 3 months of season 3 we get PTR for expansion. That feels like wishful thinking though. We shall see!!

13. nobbie

nobbie IncGamers Member

I'd expect the D3X2 beta not earlier than October/November (when patch 2.3 gets old) with a potential spring 2016 release (2 years after RoS). ^^

14. nobbie

nobbie IncGamers Member

There is already an expansion teaser in the PTR patch 2.3: "The time is not right." I bet this content gap will be closed once gamescom is over. ;)

15. nobbie

nobbie IncGamers Member

Sounds like a plan, that's what I thought when reading the Inarius lore (with the knowledge of the RoS ending). ^^

16. nobbie

nobbie IncGamers Member

Regarding the gamescom 2015 poster: Blizzard said that they don't have Diablo 3 on the demo floor this time (what should they show anyway?). Diablo is represented by the Eternal Conflict angel, though (from HotS, which is playable). That one figure is perfectly fine as symbol for both franchises. ^^

17. Mage Slayer

Mage Slayer IncGamers Member

The Prophet wasn't Inarius, just some mysterious angel. And I hope he stays mysterious.

Could The Dark Prophet be Ithereal, archangel of fate? We still haven't had the "Fate lies shattered forever" part of Cain's prophecy.

18. nobbie

nobbie IncGamers Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2015
  19. nobbie

nobbie IncGamers Member

PS: Look at the face in his official RoS portrait on that site: Can you say it is "dark"? ^^

20. Mage Slayer

Mage Slayer IncGamers Member

The article says he was Eirena's prophet. That's different to the prophet of the Cathedral of Light (Inarius). Notice there's nothing about the Hand of the Prophet in that wiki article. Cf: http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/The_Prophet