Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Blizzard Jobs Speculation: Diablo and MMO?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Flux, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Flux

Flux Administrator

Blizzard Jobs Speculation: Diablo and MMO?

I'll preface this by stating quite confidently that Blizzard is working on another Diablo game, one that they began basically from scratch after throwing out almost everything the Diablo II team had been working on up until mid-2003, when all the company founders and most of the other designers of D2 quit. They've been hiring people regularly since 2004, usually with Blizzard Jobs page listings that say things like this:

Lead 3D Level Designer
    The team behind Diablo I and II is looking for a skilled lead 3D level designer with experience building levels using Maya or other similar 3D level building tools. The ideal candidate has experience creating levels in a senior or lead role on a shipped game. etc...​

Seems like a pretty good indication (though not proof) that the job has something to do with a Diablo sequel. None of the jobs listed for WoW or SC2 or other openings have any mention of Diablo in the description, other than in a very general "knowledge of our game worlds" way.

Furthermore, if you click on the various jobs with the Top Secret icon, about half of them start off like the one I quoted above, with a mention of "the team that created Diablo I and II." The other Top Secret job ops do not say anything about Diablo, but most of them mention a "Next Gen MMO."

In no instances (that I noticed) did the same job op say MMO and Diablo. Since there are maybe 25 such top secret jobs, and about 10 mention MMO and 10 mention Diablo, but none mention both, this seems like an amazing coincidence.

Possible conclusions:
    • The Diablo game they're working on is not an MMO.
    • They're also working on an unannounced MMO that is not set in the Diablo world.
    • This is clever subterfuge to throw the curious off the scent of Diablo Online.
    Thoughts or comments?

2. Crowd Control

Crowd Control Banned

Re: Blizzard Jobs Speculation: Diablo and MMO?

There's too much to speculate about. I'll just wait until something drops in my lap. Either a nice Beta of anything or the next Diablo. Either way, there won't be any solid proof in the near future I think.

3. pancakeman

pancakeman IncGamers Member

I hope it is that they are working on an MMO and DIII, but this seems unlikely. Unless maybe they are making World of Lost Vikings.

*waves at Flux*

4. SiTro

SiTro IncGamers Member

Interesting points. I'm inclined to believe it could be a Diablo MMO. After all, this is a company I would rank as average to high secretive. They don't intentionally give stuff away very easily unless they actually want to at the time, but at the same time enjoy playing games with the audiences who play their games (particularly around april fools - hell cows and pandaren come to mind).

The problem here is WoW. It's not what I'd consider nearing the end of it's life span, though it has been out for four years now. With the expansion pack out last year, and the second out this year, I'd expect them to pursue that as an 'active' product for a few more years now.

On the other hand, the phrasing I noticed was that of Blizzard hiring people for a "next gen" MMO. Diablo 2 was in many ways the precursor for WoW, using the knowledge they gained from that Blizzard could better produce a full-fledged MMORPG. Could it be that whatever they have in mind for Diablo III is designed as an attempt to extend the MMORPG genre even further?

5. Flux

Flux Administrator

Perhaps more telling: note that all 5 of the "top secret' design jobs are diablo-connected. Only a few of the art jobs are diablo-mentioning, and most of the rest clearly state they are for a next gen MMO.

The obvious conclusion is that the next gen MMO is in the very early stages, since they're only hiring artists and not level designers. In comparison, the diablo game is much further along and is into heavy content creation. However, these are the 5 top secret designer positions, all of which mention diablo team in the description:
    • Lead 3D Level Designer
    • Senior 3D Level Designer
    • Senior Game Designer
    • 3D Level Designer
    • Associate 3D Level Designer
    I can't see how this many high level job openings bodes well for a project we all hope is nearing completion.

6. Davio

Davio IncGamers Member

I can draw a pretty good stick figure amazon if that's what they need.

7. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

Good point. It makes me think that the next Diablo game is a couple of years away. Maybe a little less, but I doubt it. But that's OK. IF they announce it this summer it will be a 2 year waiting period and lots to speculate and chat about during that time.

8. Sakura

Sakura IncGamers Member

I remember when Blizzard first mentioned they had a "next-gen MMO" in the works. This was pretty much right after they merged with Activision to form Activision Blizzard. Reading through the WoW forums, everyone was going on and on about scmmo, diablommo, etc. It surprises me that no one even considered that this MMO might be something new through Activision. One of the main reasons for Activision to want to merge with Blizzard was because Blizzard had way more experience with online gaming.

So I don't think the next-gen MMO will be something from Blizzards original franchises. Makes no sence to make a Diablo MMO, when they allready have WoW, which basicly has the same theme as Diablo. Allthough Diablo would be alot better than WoW :D

9. Flux

Flux Administrator

Blizzard has said they've got a new project underway, in a new game world. I don't know if it's the MMO, but we know SC2 and maybe ghost are in that world, and they've said they're not doing a wow sequel yet, and for WoW-competing reasons such as those mentioned in this thread, it's unlikely they're doing a diablo online. which seems to leave another, unknown world setting for their other mmo.

given the massive cash cow that is wow, it seems likely they're working on another mmo, but it doesn't seem real sensible for them to put out another mmo in a similar genre to compete with themselves. so some entirely new IP, something not diablo/warcraft styled, seems the most logical option. Not that logic necessarily carries the day.

10. Friends Call Me Butch

Friends Call Me Butch IncGamers Member

Activision isn't "merging" with anyone. Vivendi is buying (a majority stake in) Activision.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  11. Sakura

Sakura IncGamers Member

well, even still. I think they've got more options than warcraft, diablo or starcraft now, when they're teamed up with Activision, that's all I'm saying.

World of The Lost Vikings in 2010:jig:

12. V7iktor

V7iktor IncGamers Member

I can't imagine Blizzard currently working on all these projects at the same time: SC2, unannounced next gen MMO, and DIII, and then there is WoW that is keeping them busy.

Does it even make sense to create an online multiplayer DIII game that isn't an MMO? What would that supposed to be - 8 player games? Single player campaigns in multiplayer mode? That's just so outdated. My guess is DIII will be a MMORPG (sadly with a monthly fee).

13. Friends Call Me Butch

To my knowledge, Blizzard has never collaborated with an outside studio on the creation of IP or anything of significance outside of attempting to farm out development on internal IP-based material on projects which ended up being shelved (Warcraft Adventures, Ghost).

Nor have they released a title based on new IP since "Starcraft".

14. mince pies

mince pies IncGamers Member

"Blizzard Activision" sounds better IMO

15. PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy IncGamers Member

I could imagine Diablo 3 to be both MMO and simple online game

Blizzard could mix both so that you could choose a monthly fee for MMO ( to pay the development of new universes) or a free online game just like D2 was.

16. PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy IncGamers Member

Hello

if Diablo 3 is officially announced during WWI , then its release could happen during the next few months (and I guess that it will be announced next june)

Blizzard is not used to announce a game when it is not almost finished.
    Diablo 2 was announced shortly after its release and so will D3 be.

17. Friends Call Me Butch

Actually, Diablo II was announced in 1997, WoW in 2001, SC:Ghost in 2002, SC2 in 2007, etc etc...

18. Sakura

Sakura IncGamers Member

Well, they've got different sections within Blizzard each working with their separate projects. WoW requires alot of manpower for support and such, but I still think their programmers are working on different projects aswell.

I don't see why DIII has to be an MMO. I think personally DII is better than WoW, because you can play for an hour or so and still get some sh*t done. it would be fun with more than 8 players interacting with each other at the same time though. If it's going to be an MMO, I'm hoping for a real storyline to follow, unlike WoW.

But why make another MMO in the same genre as their successfull WoW game. Doesn't make sence. You'd just end up stealing from your own customer base. The marketers at Blizzard would scream NO!

19. pancakeman

pancakeman IncGamers Member

After their recent partnership with Activision to market GHIII in Asia, I am really hoping that the unnamed MMO will be World of Guitar Hero.

20. bloodriser

bloodriser IncGamers Member

in all honesty, i think it's ridiculously naive to think that diablo 3 will NOT be an mmo. i think that if anything, the job postings on blizzard's website (http://www.blizzard.com/us/jobopp/) point to diablo 3 being an mmo more than anything else. i highly doubt that blizzard is working on 3 separate massive projects at the same time (sc2, d3, next-gen mmo); it only makes sense that diablo 3 is an mmo with this taken into consideration.

To be perfectly honest, there are really no other games that this mmo could be based off of. the only other possibility for this mmo that i could imagine would be WoW 2, and i doubt that is likely due to all of the diablo 3 rumors that have been around for the past few years.

i know what you guys are thinking "why would blizzard make another mmo to compete with themselves when they already have WoW doing so well?"

the answer to this question is that this next-gen mmo (i'll be as bold to say it IS infact diablo 3) will not be out until at least late 2010, if not later. By this time WoW will be about 6 years old, with subscriptions likely dwindling due to other more new, fresh, and innovative mmo's that will have been released before this next-gen mmo is released. with diablo 3 being an mmo, blizzard is building upon an already established community in diablo 2, and will also see the return of many previous mmo players that left WoW for other games.

i know a lot of you guys don't want to hear this, but this is honestly what i/as well as many others think. i know a few people who work for blizzard in irvine (albeit in the WoW department), who also share my same beliefs (based purely on speculation and what seems to make 'sense').