Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Blizzard Is Not Remaking Diablo II in 3D

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Flux, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Flux

Flux Administrator

[​IMG]A recent Blizzard jobs listing has spurred some fan excitement, though largely through confusion. Here's the quote:

Senior Software Engineer, Classic Games

Compelling stories. Intense multiplayer. Endless replayability. Qualities that made StarCraft, Warcraft III, and Diablo II the titans of their day. Evolving operating systems, hardware, and online services have made them more difficult to be experienced by their loyal followers or reaching a new generation. We’re restoring them to glory, and we need your engineering talents, your passion, and your ability to get tough jobs done.

So if you like wearing many hats, know small teams are the most effective, and look forward to challenges that will create millions of new adventures for our players: we would love to hear from you.

Responsibilities
    • Make gameplay first again on modern operating systems.
    • Create conditions for experiences that look as good as they play.
    • Own implementation and curation of features new and old.
    • Combat hacking to improve multiplayer.
    • Diagnose and fix all the things: crashes, deadlocks, overflows, heap corruptions, etc.

[source]http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/careers/posting.html?id=15000XZ[/source]

If you read that soberly, it's obviously just a job opening for a programmer to toil away in the code of D2, SC1, and War3 to make those old games work properly on modern systems. However, if you glanced at it with stars in your eyes, or only heard about it in partial form in chat or on Twitter or some other inadequate communication method, you might have come away with the "Blizzard is remaking Diablo 2 with modern technology!" reaction. Enough people did that clarifications were sought, and Gamespot published one:

[UPDATE] Blizzard has provided the following statement to GameSpot on the matter.

"We need engineers to help maintain our legacy games. We have a history of maintaining our games for many years. Our earlier games are still played and enjoyed today, so we want to continue to maintain them for those communities."​

So no, Blizzard Is Not Remaking Diablo II in 3D. While it's nice that they're actually paying programmers money to make 10+ year old games function, I wish they were going back even further. I've gotten back into Diablo I a few times over the years, and each time it's been hours of struggle to get it to run in 256 color compatibility mode, or play on my laptop without a CD drive, or save games properly when the install drive isn't the C drive, etc. I haven't tried Warcraft 2 in years, but I'd bet it has the same sort of problems.
    Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

2. T2000

T2000 IncGamers Member

What new email for news submission? Trying send tips about this job listing, but get reject:

"The error that the other server returned was:
    550 No Such User Here"

3. Silverfang

Silverfang IncGamers Member

Both good and bad, that they don't do a simple 3d rehash:

It would probably prompt me to add another 10k hours into playing D2 to my already around 32k to 35k hours spend with the game. (Approximated ingame hours only! Not community discussion time ...)

On the other side, I actually don't want to play a simple rehash, but an evolution of the actual design, bringing it even closer to the vision behind.

4. jamesL

jamesL IncGamers Member

it was these tow that got the rumors flowing

*Create conditions for experiences that LOOK as good as they play.

*Own implementation and curation of features NEW and old.

though I've done them thousands of times I still find D2 boss runs more fun than Bounties and Rifts

and I actually enjoy D2's "regular" campaign

5. KarakNor

KarakNor IncGamers Member

Might I recommend (for D1):
    http://diablo1.ovh.org/hd/?download

Played the single player, it's very well done. Not pure Diablo 1, but the changes that are made are very well thought out and add to the game. Won't be for everyone, but I found it a great way to go back and enjoy the gameplay of Diablo 1. There's a multiplayer version in progress right now, available as an Alpha...haven't messed with that yet, but it's in a very early stage still.

6. KarakNor

KarakNor IncGamers Member

Well that link failed miserably.</br>
    http://diablo1.ovh.org/hd/?download

7. Silverfang

On "Own implementation and curation of features NEW and old" I just can say that I was a bit disappointed of the phoenix form not making it into the expansion. And still am: The general idea was realized quite well with the addition of the demon character to sacred 1. That game, though, is set up as a completely different type of arpg, though.

8. vmxa

vmxa IncGamers Member

The last time I installed my battlenet version of wc2, it ran fine on win7. I have not tried in lately, nor have I installed it on win8.

Still would be glad to see them make their games up to win10. D2LoD is really not playable for me using win8.1. It does run, but the screen is not showing enough of the map.

They could do what Heroes of Might and Magic did and make an HD version. It was just sharper pix of the same items, but looked better. Still was 2d, which is fine for old games.

Silverfang likes this.
  9. softshack

softshack IncGamers Member

That is sweet! Thanks for the link.

10. ADest

ADest IncGamers Member

Well, there goes the only news I was excited for this Blizzcon... And it didn't even come out of Blizzcon.

11. In the name of Zod

In the name of Zod IncGamers Member

The classic games should be the tell all, look upwards. So its about patching old games but not for improved gameplay just compatibility. So is microsoft dumping backwards compatibility because its come under fire for it being a hotbed of ways people can hack new systems thru the old flaws. So now they've got to bring their own games forward if they want them to run on new systems.

12. Flux

Flux Administrator

I'll let Rush know to fix it. Probably something related to our not-so-recent URL switch, and the old email address isn't live anymore.

But thanks for the thought!

13. Flux

Flux Administrator

Yeah, the first paragraph of the job listing is way over dramatic and flowering in language, and actually sort of misleading in terms of what the job actually is.

14. T2000

T2000 IncGamers Member

Can't wait! Actually, there is huge list of vacancies for Classic Games behind this.

15. Silverfang

You nagger may need to learn, that one fights for the game designs and implementation of ideas one came to enjoy. Especially, if the market ain't offering anything AAA in that direction anymore.

That fact doesn't matter '****! Shit!' (Minigame: Who got the cultural reference?) Not just devs have their ideas about the games they wanna play in the future, cheeeeeeeeeeeezzze.

16. Silverfang

Anything AAA besides simple clones, I mean. No evolution of the original game design ...

17. Silverfang

Noone gotten the reference yet? kk ... here's a tip (, though it ain't really a minigame anymore ...): The direct cultural reference would be "****! Ass!" ;)