Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Blizzard Hiring for Diablo 4?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Flux, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Flux

Flux Administrator

[​IMG]

[caption id="attachment_385316" align="alignright" width="201"][​IMG] Blizzard Jobs Page[/caption]
    Flush with the success of his first podcast appearance, DaveTheBrave sent me a link to a BlizzPro article which notes that Blizzard has posted a job opening for an Art Director to work on an unannounced project in the Diablo universe.

A bit of research made this even more intriguing. Note that this job opening was first posted back in February 2015, a few months after D3's original art director Christian Lichtner left the company. Here's how the job listing looked in February, via GamaSutra:

Diablo III Art Director, Blizzard Entertainment

Diablo

Blizzard Entertainment is looking for an exceptionally skilled art director to work on all things Diablo.

As art director, you will ignite and inspire others both as a leader and as an artist. As a leader you will be a motivational catalyst for the art team. As an artist, your vision and direction will help define the look of new characters, environments, and architecture in the Diablo style. In addition to driving and evangelizing a clear visual direction within the art team, you will also ensure close collaboration with design, programming, production and other disciplines.

Our ideal candidate is a proven leader who is cool under pressure, yet possesses a strong vision and passion for all things Diablo, incredible communication skills, excellent artistic ability and a track record of working well with others. [source]http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...iring_an_Art_Director_for_Diablo_III[/source]

Sounds pretty straight forward, eh? Check out how the job listing reads today, via Blizzard's Jobs site:

Art Director, Unannounced Project

Diablo

Blizzard Entertainment, the developer of the most epic games in the world, is seeking an exceptionally skilled and passionate art director to help develop Blizzard’s next hit game!

Work alongside a team of the best artists, engineers and designers on the planet and enjoy the support of a company whose culture is centered on collaborative game development.

The ideal candidate possesses inspiring artistic vision, outstanding communications skills, strong leadership experience, and a proven track record of shipping AAA products in an art director role. Experience modeling and texturing assets for a diverse visual range of environments and a solid grasp of form, color, and light for both 2D and 3D art assets are also essential.

You must be experienced at mentoring teams, able to work well in an environment of artists who are passionate about making great games, skilled in one or more areas of art creation (illustration, modeling, texturing, animation, or concept art), and well-versed in related tools (Maya, Photoshop, etc.).

Pluses
    • A passion for games with a deep understanding of the Diablo franchise.
    [source]http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/careers/posting.html?id=15000KB[/source]

Read the whole job listing on Blizzard's site to understand all the myriad of ways none of us are qualified for it. That said, why the change?

It doesn't necessarily mean anything; perhaps they didn't get good applications on the first listing since it sounded like a caretaker position? So in the new listing they just wanted to stress that they had additional Diablo games in the pipeline. (Which we all knew, but still...) But why change it to "Unannounced Project" so prominently? True, D3X2 hasn't been "announced" yet, but neither has D3X3, or Diablo 4, etc.

Has a curious excite?
    Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

2. DaveTheBrave

DaveTheBrave IncGamers Member

I'd think by now they're putting the finishing touches on the 2nd exp. I hope. If they need an art director to get started on the project, there's going to be a lot of disappointed people at blizzcon.

3. nobbie

nobbie IncGamers Member

My guesstimate is Diablo 4 as Action MMO in the future, along the lines of Lineage Eternal -Twilight Resistance (trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuAQXJhfrs4). Makes sense because a.) WoW subs will be down to "normal" numbers in the future and b.) Diablo 3 was redesigned on top of Classic D3, which is not ideal. New director, new art, new game, I'd say. ^^

4. nobbie

nobbie IncGamers Member

PS: Needless to say that Lineage Eternal: Twilight Resistance as an Action MMO will be a very strong Diablo 3 competitor. ^^

5. nobbie

nobbie IncGamers Member

D3X2 should be done already. This is either an art director for D3X3 or Diablo 4.

6. Mage Slayer

Mage Slayer IncGamers Member

If they were starting work on a whole new game, I'd expect to see a lot more vacancies being advertised. A new game requires significantly more work than an expansion. Even if the whole existing D3 team carried on, plus internal transfers, they'd probably want a lot of new people.

7. MrRandyMarsh

MrRandyMarsh IncGamers Member

Diablo as a sandbox game ala Skyrim is a dream of mine. Just imagine exploring Sanctuary , stumbeling upon tidbits from Diablo lore. One of the major setbacks of Diablo 3 imo was the way they had too little focus on the R and too much on the A in ARPG.

8. nobbie

nobbie IncGamers Member

I think they have enough staff since Titan was cancelled.

9. nobbie

nobbie IncGamers Member

Note especially this part:

"... to help develop Blizzard’s next hit game!"

Is an expansion a "next hit game"?

10. In the name of Zod

In the name of Zod IncGamers Member

Did we ever find out why the previous Art Director left? If he left to join another company then I would say yes its possible D4 is on the menu but if it were personal then probably not.

11. Genocides

Genocides IncGamers Member

You would still need art assets for after xpac patches I would think. However, the wording makes it sound more in line with a new game.

12. T2000

T2000 IncGamers Member

Oh, sweet expectations!..
    Is it first time Diablo 4 mentioned here? I'll make a mark, where D4 rumours starts.

13. fmulder

fmulder Site Contributor

D3 + RoS sold over 30 million units. Hard to imagine Blizzard not working on a second xpac as well as D4.

http://www.diabloii.net/forums/threads/diablo-3-lifetime-sales-top-30-million-units.904723/

14. T2000

T2000 IncGamers Member

Christian Lichtner worked for Blizzard 6 years since 2009, and left company year ago (Jul 2014). So i don't think it can be personal anyway. He visit E3 2015 with something unannounced.

15. T2000

T2000 IncGamers Member

Links:
    http://www.diabloii.net/blog/comments/lets-meet-the-new-art-director-of-diablo-iii-christian-lichtner
    https://www.linkedin.com/pub/chris-lichtner/1/50b/711/
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/2vnexp/blizzard_is_hiring_an_art_director_for_diablo_iii/
    https://instagram.com/p/4K54pILu4e/

16. T2000

T2000 IncGamers Member

Mike Booth (Nox, Left 4 Dead) also left Blizzard recently: "My project wasn't a good fit for #Blizzard and I left the studio in June to start something new" https://twitter.com/_MikeBooth/status/627164439788138497
    What happened with other staff?

17. In the name of Zod

In the name of Zod IncGamers Member

Yep read that linkedin, thanks. I think we are talking concept art now. The start of something new. They're looking for some inspiration I'm guessing.

18. Boomslang

Boomslang IncGamers Member

It could be for both The expansion and then moving on to Diablo 4.

19. nobbie

nobbie IncGamers Member

Jup, that's my interpretation as well. Christian Lichtner has certainly completed his tasks on D3, D3X1 *AND* D3X2.

20. Dragoonus

Dragoonus IncGamers Member

One would hope they are putting finishing touches on the expansion. I don't like to think so negatively but we have received so much stuff for free over the last year. It seems more like a broken down expansion over the course of a few patches. There is a lot of potential there though, and Blizzard certainly surprised us with Kanai's Cube so maybe there is something we just cannot see coming down the road. They're pretty aware of what their community wants.