Blizzard explains "how" the ladder is reset... i

Gorny

Banned
Blizzard explains "how" the ladder is reset...

First it begins with the gathering of The Crystals of Everlasting Power. There are 5 of them, 3 of which are here on Earth (Rock, Air, Flame) and the other 2 are both in spirit worlds (the Ascension and Descension Crystals). Each of them have a specific color and clever name that plays off of what they stand for. The Flame Crystal is red for instance. Rock is green, Air is blue, Ascension is clear, Descension is black.

Obtaining each Crystal requires that a Blizzard Employee with a pure heart (also known as the Nonpareil) finish a task given by each Guardian who (obviously) guard each Crystal. These Guardians each have their own tasks, which again are thoughtfully related to the Crystal they protect. Using the Flame Crystal as an example again, the Flame Crystal Guardian requires the Nonpareil to reach into a mound of red hot coals to extract a helmet made of Wyvern scales. The helmet is worn and grants the wearer immunity to heat and fire. The Nonpareil can now accept the Flame Crystal which is in fact hot enough to render flesh from bone.

After collecting each of The Crystals they must then be combined at The Ivory Temple. Each Crystal is in fact not completely pure as the Guardians that protect them, being not from this world, slowly corrupt The Crystals. The Temple is used in conjunction with an elaborate ceremony including chanting, candles, and some cool shining lines that connect The Crystals half way through the chanting, that eventually cleanse The Crystals.

After The Crystals have been cleansed they must then be combined. The Crystals interlock with no discernible way to do so. Once the final piece is put in place a slight but satisfying 'shnnk' sound is made as if some sort of spring loaded latch existed, which it doesn't.

The final crystal, The Chat Gem is placed into the middle and a bright light emanates from the crystal construction as it begins to float. Loud choir music begins to 'Ahhhhhhhhhh', The Crystals explode as sparks rain down. At that point the Ladder resets and all Ladder characters are moved to non-Ladder.

The 'hold-up' so to speak, is that the Nonpareil has yet to be found. To date we have sent 28 Blizzard Employees to their agonizing deaths to attempt the ritual. None of which were pure of heart. However we will continue our attempts until successful. Once the 5 crystals are collected the reset will be announced to give fair warning before the final combination commences.
http://www.battle.net/forums/thread.aspx?fn=d2-general&t=1023096&p=1&tmp=1#new1023096

Sharaz

Diabloii.Net Member
obviously, you have to read between the lines there. the simple expanation is, that until there have been enough hits on the chat gem, the ladder will not reset. last season there was lots of talk about the chat gem, and people constantly saying "i hit it so many times, but nothing happened".

im sure the one person didint even knwo it, but one of the times they hit the gem, actually reset the ladder last season.

Phil

Diabloii.Net Member
That is one of the funniest explainations I have ever heard. But as strange and rediuclous as it sounds, that actually does make sense. I wonder, does that mean that if everyone had just sat there hitting the chat gem for weeks in the beginning of ladder, that it would actually be reset far earlier?

chicagobullit

Diabloii.Net Member
funny. almost sounds like a belated april fools joke. i think i only clicked that chat gem a few times. i'm going to go home tonight and click the gem for 6 hours and see what happens.

djIgneo

Diabloii.Net Member
The chat gem is the little colored button you can press in the middle and lower half of the screen. It's imbedded in the little strip that separates the chat screen from the Join/Create game screen.

Just look for glowing things and start clicking. You'll see a bnet message when you click it.

YogiRat

Diabloii.Net Member
!

The 'hold-up' so to speak, is that the Nonpareil has yet to be found.
Wait a minute! I just found some nonpareil capers in the fridge. Hmm, expires 03'.... it's been open for a while too. Never mind :p

Darnoc

Diabloii.Net Member
itsPizzarific said:
whats the chat gem .. for?

i clicked on it a bunch and it just activates and deactivates.
The chat gem does exactly what it was intended to do. Listen for a "cow moo" and you are on the right track.

djIgneo

Diabloii.Net Member
Last I heard the chat gem was a feature that never got finished/added but blizzard left it in for kicks.

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator
I miss the part with the maiden, the bathtub full of blood and the black candles. Or was that the rust storm ceremony ?

Grobyc

Diabloii.Net Member
The gem is a horrible feature that Blizzard put in. Didn't they know that all that clicking will cause arthritis?

Emerald Dragon

Diabloii.Net Member
I know what the chat gem is for.

It's a secret banner add. When you click it, blizzard gets money, but the user doesnt know that.

spudboy

Diabloii.Net Member
itsPizzarific said:
whats the chat gem .. for?

i clicked on it a bunch and it just activates and deactivates.
Sometimes it says "Perfect Gem Activated" and sometimes it says "Moooooo!"
(but this is very rare)