Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Blizz Sorc, Problems Running Hell

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by goobafish, May 15, 2008.

1. goobafish

goobafish IncGamers Member

Blizz Sorc, Problems Running Hell

Hey Guys,

I am a level 82 Blizz Sorc. Straight Blizzard. I am having trouble doing anything in hell. I can't even do Andy runs without dying. I have the required strength, and all the rest of my points are in vitality.

Here is my gear
    Shako
    Occy
    Spirit Monarch
    Tals Ammy/Belt/Armor
    Rare Boots (Waiting for Travs)
    2 Nagels
    P Chancies

I understand that Cold Resistant monsters are a huge problem, but that's not it, I seem to be dying against everything. I can barely get past 2 monsters in Ancients Way without guzzling all my pots. What I thought might be the problem was the fact that I didn't complete my quests and get Anya for the resistance bonus. I just completed that in Norm and NM, and will do it in Hell when I can find some help. Also, I have a merc, but his weapon is crappy, is a merc necessary for hell?

I can't MF without being able to run even the easiest routes. What can I do?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

2. ihuang

ihuang IncGamers Member

Re: Blizz Sorc, Problems Running Hell

What level is your cold mastery? The real point of mfing with a bliz sorc is running only meph and pindleskin, and maybe also the Ancient Tunnels. Meph can be safely and easily killed with the moat trick. Pindleskin's another easy target as long as he's not cold immune. Also, you may want to use charms or something to increase your fire and cold resistance - fire for the hydras the council members cast and cold for meph's cold ball (which is also 50% physical). My bliz sorc didn't use a merc since meph always killed him (meph is unleechable). Bliz sorcs can kill meph so fast because of cold mastery - my (now unused) bliz sorc with +6 skills and maxed bliz, gs, ice blast, and cm could kill mephisto in 10 seconds. One tree sorcs are almost never meant to solo hell without Infinity.

If you don't know how to do the moat trick, you can look in the stickied sorceress build guide thread or search diablo 2 moat trick on youtube. Make sure you park Bremm Sparkfist and his surrounding council members at some corner so they won't distract you when you moat meph, although the council members are lightning immune and bremm is rarely ever cold immune.

3. goobafish

I am max all relevant skills. I will try out the moat trick, but my problem mainly lies in Ancients Tunnel.

4. Vespar

Vespar IncGamers Member

I have a pure blizzard sorceress myself and I have to say that a good merc makes all the difference. Typically, if it isn't cold resistant the monster will die via blizzard incredibly fast. However, often to get the majorty of the mobs in the blizzard effectively, it requires teleporting forward so your merc is in front of you and then running back.

If you do this the monsters will focus on your merc while you lay down blizzards all around the merc....usually everything dies quickly excluding the cold immunies. With those use static on them and it may sound ridiculous, but if you have it try hit the mobs with telekinesis....you'll find while the damage is small it'll add up and support your merc alot.

As for merc gear just use the best you have and continually upgrade as things drop. It's really important to at least get your merc a bit of life leeching to help with his survivability. For the longest time all I had on my merc was some rattlecage armor I found, Hwain's Justice (Meh polearm, but very fast attack), and a helm that gave him a strength boost. Of course later I found him a eth duriel's shell, a crown of thieves, and viperfork, which are all large upgrade for him.

If you learn how to manipulate where your merc is via teleport you'll find your sorceress will be far more survivable. Just becareful not to be too close to exploding unique mobs.....kills me everytime.

5. leeye84

leeye84 IncGamers Member

If you're poor, trade for a shaft + tal helm (10 -15 Pgem investment tops). With good merc management (teleporting to bring the merc back to you), your merc should not die often and you can do Meph without the moat trick. Your equipment allows for a decent fcr for teleport. Should have no problem doing Meph as long as your merc's eq is good. You can tank Meph if you have to.

6. Gabrielle

Gabrielle IncGamers Member

Blizzard is great at killing bosses, but not really at running areas imo.

7. AnimeCraze

AnimeCraze IncGamers Member

For Andy, a little positioning and smart teleing (through lvl 2 and 3) is all that you need. What are you dying to and why. (if you can answer that question)

8. goobafish

I don't know why I am dying. I have no problem picking up merc gear, but a good weapon is hard to track. I found an Eth Gladiator's Bane and a Gaze for him already.

9. AnimeCraze

Well, what are you dying to? What monsters, and what attacks?

10. goobafish

Everything. Physical attacks. I die when I do ancient tunnels as soon as I run into more than 3-4 monsters. I die when I do andy runs to her poison. I die from the charge attack of pindle.

11. Dirkw

Dirkw IncGamers Member

You can't expect too much from such a young sorc. First play enough with her so that you reach the high level 80's, then come back with complaints if there still remain any.

I don't mean to offend you but it's pretty easy to start reporting problems too early. In your situation, Reaper's Toll will do a lot of good I think.

12. AnimeCraze

Here's a few tips to avoid dying:
    1. For teleporting, make sure you hug the walls, and somewhat watch so you don't tele into packs. (unique packs usually have mysterious glow that allows you to avoid them even if they are blocked by a wall)
    2. Make sure you get your merc to tank all the charge attacks for you at pindle. (shaftstop is handy for this)
    3. For ancient tunnel's, make sure your merc is the one being hit, not you. You do this by teleing somewhat close to monsters, then step back. The merc will walk in front and take hits.
    4. If Andy's poison troubles you, carry a few antidotes and drink one every time before you engage her. (for 50 poison resist)
    5. Make sure you do have some life and resist (ie. not -70 all). I think something like 800 life and ~0 resist is playable, and prehaps even less if you are skilled in dodging.
    6. Make sure you are not in laggy games.

In actual fact, I think the lvl doesn't matter. I usually get my meteorb sorcs to hell at lvl 60ish with only like +3~4 skills.

13. Scudstorm

Scudstorm IncGamers Member

The damage isn't really helping. But, telekinesis does knockback... and a knockbacked monster can't hit your merc :)

@ original post:

A classical (read: non-melee) sorc isn't meant to be a tank, and it is abnormal that you tank 3-4 monsters. Tele always far from trouble.

Also, Ice Blast seems somewhat overlooked by blizz sorcs. It's a wonderful crowd control skill by freezing packs of monsters for a few seconds, and does decent damage as well. As there are almost never cold immunes in Andy's chamber (sometimes an unique does spawn immune), you can freeze almost everything except bosses.

Andy's ranged attack (her poison) is quite unharmful if you have maxed poison. Grab some poison resist gear. Just tele away from her and blizz in her path. You shouldn't die one single time if you do that.

For pindle, just ice blast away when you barely get into the room. Everything will freeze and die with a dozen ice blasts.

I personally go for Tal's set for my MF sorcs. It's much easier to max resists, have decent damage (you don't need more for MF) and decent MF as well.

14. Alc

Alc IncGamers Member

Agreed. Ice Blast is pretty integral to an efficient blizz sorc - it holds monsters in place while blizzard does its thing, and although the damage isn't huge it's well worth attacking bosses with it as well.

15. LordHoth

LordHoth IncGamers Member

Also, I didn't see this anywhere but forgive me if I missed it, which merc are you using? I'm just going on assumption here that you are using an Act 2 merc, but which aura are you using. If it's not a HF or the +defense merc(can never remember that aura's name), that might be part of the problem.

16. goobafish

I fixed the problem.

I am using a Offensive Act 2 Merc.
    I picked up Eth Glad's Bane (2k armor) and an Eth Shaeled Tomb reaver.
    I also picked up an Anni, Sorc Torch and SOJ.
    Finally, I got all 3 of my resistance Anya quests.

I don't know which step helped, but I am owning now.

17. mephiztophelez

mephiztophelez IncGamers Member

infinity is kinda useless on a cold sork seeing as will will break very, very few immunes and everything else is most likely already at -100% res from cold mastery.

an Insight for infinite mana or some kind of seriously hard hitting pokestick (an e-Obedience cryptic axe comes to mind, an e-tomb reaver is also pretty gosu) are a better bet.

18. Alc

Alc IncGamers Member

^ Vouch.

I ran a high-damage infy on my cold sorc's merc for a while, just to see how ineffectual it was. He could poke stuff fine, but the conviction was worthless.