Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Blizz sorc:- max Cold Mastery first or last?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Jimmeh, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Jimmeh

Jimmeh IncGamers Member

Blizz sorc:- max Cold Mastery first or last?

hi, im lvling now and i have a brief idea of which skills to use, but im not certain on the order, can someone give me a bit of guidance please?

2. jordan7741

jordan7741 IncGamers Member

last last last. u gotta first max out all synergies, but if u have a high +skills amount ( like 15 or so) then just put 1 point on mastery and then max out the rest of blizz's synergies

3. Talon0835

Talon0835 IncGamers Member

Naw, I disagree. Cold Mastery is actually much more effective than Synergies as synergies are based only off the base skill level of Blizzard (lvl 20 blizzard) while Cold Mastery is based off the full damage including your +skills. I would do this.

20 Blizzard
    10-15 Cold Mastery (depending on +skills. If you have less, go with 15. If you have alot, 10 will do)
    20 Glacial Spike
    20 Ice Blast
    20 Ice Bolt
    Finish maxing CM

4. core1000

core1000 IncGamers Member

I disagree with jordan7741, you have to ensure that you PLACE SUFFICIENT skill points into Cold Mastery to be able to reduce any 75% Cold Resistant Monster in Hell Diff down to -100% Cold Resistance. That would add up to be that you need Cold Mastery to do a -175% Cold Resistance Effect.

Cold Mastery
    passive - increases the damage of your cold attacks
    by piercing enemies resistances to cold

Current Skill Level: 32
    175 percent

I'm too busy to do the Math.

1) Every (-100% Resistance to Enemy) increases your damage by 100% more.

2) Every (+100% Cold Skill Damage) that is dealt to a (75% Cold Resistant Enemy) ends up doing only 50% of your Original Cold Skill Damage.

3) However, every (+100% Cold Skill Damage) combined with (-175% Resistance to Enemy) dealt to a (75% Cold Resistant Enemy) increases your damage by 300% more.

5. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Aehm -Enemy Resistances is capped at -100% :p ?!
    Still i'd max Cold Mastery first since you will be doing almost DOUBLE the damage even before you reach lvl 60 or higher. Its just that by maxing CM you will have a higher overall damage with Blizzard much earlier!
    Considering also that the cold resistances of monsters in NM (you'll stay in NM from lvl45-lvl75 possibly...) are not that high!

So its CM all the way before synergies :D

6. sasja

sasja IncGamers Member

Melianor is right (as usual) - CM before synergies. If you want, you can get CM to slvl 17 including items, then max one synergy, then back to maxing CM. Do not max more than one synergy before maxing CM. Synergies are additive - CM multiplicative. The last point in the last synergy will only increase your damage with 1% - each point in CM will increase your damage with at least 5%. After slvl 17, CM will only increase your damage against cold resistant monsters, but there are plenty of those. For a pure cold sorceress, there's nothing as sweet as maxed CM.

7. melianor

*blush* sasja :D
    The more detailed math comes from you though :thumbsup: !

8. gideon2086

gideon2086 IncGamers Member

dont listen to anyone!! last it is!

9. Shenn

Shenn Banned

The cold mastery is a very unique skill. Unlike the other masteries, this one decreases the enemy's cold resistance. For PvP, this is VERY usesful. This is probably why blizzard and FO are VERY hard to be negated in dueling. For the lighting and fire trees, rising sun, dwarf stars and 95 fire resist wouldd probably negate a fireball (probably not metoer). As for lighitng Tgods and the wisp projector will absolutly negate a lighiting attack. But as for a blizzard or FO, the opponent would have to *stack* cold resist. That is about 500 cold resist needed to mantain a 95 cold resist! That would probably leave no room for attack power, and absorb. The sorc would eventually were down the oppoent and kill htem :).

BTW: Is 500 cold resist even possible?

10. Hyey

Hyey IncGamers Member

500% is nothing... would be possible 4 socket armor with 4 30% cold resis jewels (120) then a 6 socket weapon with 6 30% (180) thats 300 right there, add a shield 420 and a ring or too you easily reach 500% of course you wont be killing ANYTHING. (dont forget charms :p)

11. Shenn

Shenn Banned

LOL! too true, the sorc could even kill u with her orb ^^

12. melianor

Is this some kind of useful post? Any arguments why it should be maxed last or just blurting out hot air.... ???

13. gideon2086

Nope, just disagreeing dont be so up tight about it :).

14. sasja

sasja IncGamers Member

You're very welcome to be disagreeing, but for the sake of this discussion being more than a string of "yes", "no", "yes", "no" posts, you should try to back up your point of view with arguments - a key concept for successful debating.

Unless you can point out some flaw in your opponent's arguments, or you yourself has an overriding argument, simply sticking to your view is just being stubborn and opinionated and that fact doesn't contribute much to the discussion or the community.

15. melianor

I am not uptight, maybe i just want to know why you think that it would be better to max CM last. Maybe there's something i aint seeing?!?!
    So please let us know why. Thx.

A short post like yours not really helps someone to decide, right?
    Just trying to see all the sides if possible.

Maybe something is wrong with our math here? :p
    Frankly i thin kyou dont have a clue. No that might tickle you into giving and answer :teeth: !

16. gideon2086

Sheese ok ok, by lvl 85 you should have all your synergies maxed and have at least 10 base skill points into cm. You should hopefully have enough equip to have at least +20 skills. That means by lvl 85 with maxed blizz and synergies you will have a 30 cold mastery. Not many duelers will forfeit enough of their equip to negate a lvl 30 cold mastery, therefore it is more usefull to have the extra dmg from the maxxed synergies. It's all about personal preference really.

17. melianor

I did not notice we were talking PvP here?!
    For PvP this sounds reasonable surely, but monsters in PvM have no choice to negate CM, their res is set int stone by Blizz. From what i gather from the poster this was not a PvP issue? :p

And thx for really laying out your opinion, now i at least understand why you meant to max CM last.

18. sasja

sasja IncGamers Member

Won't most duellers faced with a Blizzard sorc have more than 65% cold resistance? By the way, +20 skills is quite a feat. And most of our discussion here has been concerning PvM.

19. Soepgroente

Soepgroente IncGamers Member

Gideon has weird ideas of pvp. Listen, any person who doesn't have enough cold resist to negate lvl 10 cold mastery is going down with 10 less synergy points easily anyway. The tough ones have stacked resistances and there you need your higher cold mastery. The (only) way in my opinion is:

lvl 1-23 Waiting for blizzard, 1 warmth/telekinesis/teleport, rest in synergies
    lvl 24-29 5 points in blizzard
    lvl 30 one cold mastery for a hefty 20% damage boost against normal res monsters
    lvl 31+ Max in this order: Blizzard, cold mastery, ice blast, ice bolt, glacial spike.

In PvM there's no point in getting more than slvl 36 cold mastery (-195%) since only duriel has 95% cold resistance and nothing has more. Maybe slvl 37 cold mastery if you want a broken immunity at 99% down to -100. But usually lvl 32 is more than enough, because it'll bring mephisto down to -100 and all other monsters than duriel and immunes too. But as i said for PvP you can't have enough, better have 5000 damage with -200% resist than 6000 damage with -100% resist. Really. It's rare cases where the opponent gets damaged more by the latter example.

Thank you :worship:

20. gideon2086

okokok, i said 10 points into it, not lvl 10 :). +skills should bring it up to 25-30ish. Like i also said it is pretty much personal preference, but i see more sense in maxing the synergies and using +skills to bring up the mastery. Most of my posts have been concerning pvp sorry if that isnt what you meant. maxing cm last is my build, and it has proven pretty usefull pvp, i also use the sorc to rush my friends and i easily eliminate all non CI's.