Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

blizz sorc: ice bolt vs. g spike

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by cracky, Nov 11, 2006.

1. cracky

cracky Diabloii.Net Member

blizz sorc: ice bolt vs. g spike

hello all,

I noticed in most blizz sorc guides/suggestion posts, people always suggest maxing glacial spike over ice bolt. for example, in the comprehensive blizzard sorceress guide stickied up top, it is recommended that only 10 points be put in ice bolt until all your other skills have been maxed.

Now I'm looking at a blizz sorc's main two attack skills: blizzard and ice blast. blizzard gets the same bonus from ice bolt and glacial spike, so no difference there. Ice blast gets an 8% dmg increase from ice bolt, but NO damage increase from glacial spike! Only a 10% freeze length, which doesn't really matter since you're casting too fast for an unsynergized freeze to wear off.

So I must be missing something here. why g spike as a synergy over ice bolt??

thanks,

f

2. evild2player

evild2player Diabloii.Net Member

I don't know. Glacial spike is useful for a secondary PvM attack because of it's freeze and the radius of it. It's excellent for running pindle. But honestly, I always prefer ice bolt over glacial spike.

3. dreamofwinter

dreamofwinter Diabloii.Net Member

Max ice bolt before glacial spike, I wish I had. :)

4. Fuzzier

Fuzzier Diabloii.Net Member

Glacial Spike do more damage if you can splash 3+ monsters.
    Ice Bolt is good at single monster.
    It depends on your preference.

5. Jackson

Jackson Diabloii.Net Member

I use Glacial Spike most of the time because of the crowd-controlling benefits that the skill gives.

I use glacial spike more than ice blast anyways.. and besides, I think as a Blizzard sorc, you'll eventually have the mentioned skills maxed eventually, so the end result would be the same.

6. SSoG

SSoG Diabloii.Net Member

Glacial Spike's radius is *HUGE*. To give you an idea- Glacial Spike has a 2.6 yard radius, compared to a 1-yard radius for Fireball. To put that into absolute terms, that means Glacial Spike will cover an area more than SIX TIMES LARGER than Fireball. The sheer size of the radius makes Glacial a much more spam-friendly skill. You'll freeze tons of monsters in one fell swoop.

Also, another thing I like about Glacial is that it flies through the air faster than other cold skills, so it's a ton easier to aim. All in all, Glacial is the most useful spammable skill available to Blizzard Sorcs, so it makes more sense to invest there than Ice Blast (unless you're just trying to keep the mana cost down).

7. Esuna

Esuna Diabloii.Net Member

I also prefer Ice Bolt over Glacial Spike, maybe because of the mana cost or just because I use Orb more than Blizzard.

8. Jackson

Jackson Diabloii.Net Member

I also prefer Ice Bolt over Glacial Spike, maybe because of the mana cost or just because I use Orb more than Blizzard.

True, but I think with Insight, mana cost shouldn't be a problem. =)

9. Dennis_KoreanGuy

Dennis_KoreanGuy Diabloii.Net Member

I would max Ice Bolt first, because the times when you need Glacial's crowd control, why don't you use Blizz?

I love Ice Blast anyways.

10. Delreich

Delreich Diabloii.Net Member

I would max Glacial first, because the times when you need Ice Blast's damage, why don't you use Blizz?

Personally, I can't stand the lazy Blast, so I'd go Glacial.

11. Dennis_KoreanGuy

Dennis_KoreanGuy Diabloii.Net Member

for single targets that don't require Blizz. :wink3:

I mean... when do you ever have to use glacial for crowd control on a blizz sorc?

more practical thinking would be "oh look there's a fallen, let's blast it instead of wasting mana for a blizz".

12. SSoG

SSoG Diabloii.Net Member

Blizzard doesn't freeze enemies, while Glacial does. Besides, it gives you something to spam during Blizzard's timer.

13. RTB

RTB Diabloii.Net Member

IIRC that's a display bug, the radius for Fireball was 2 yards in 1.09 and did not change internally in 1.10+.

14. SSoG

SSoG Diabloii.Net Member

That explains a lot, because my Fireball never felt like it had such a small splash.

Still, Glacial Spike's radius is still more than 50% larger than Fireball's. Very handy.