Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Blizz banned accts...

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Masticophis, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Masticophis

Masticophis IncGamers Member

Blizz banned accts...

Over at gamespot.com they have news that blizz banned numerous accts, and cd keys..

quote from gamespot...

"The Warcraft III developer shutters nearly 300,000 accounts tied to illicit programs.
    In what might be one of the biggest cheat purges ever, Blizzard today closed 282,000 Battle.net accounts associated with game hacks and illicit programs. "In keeping with our aggressive stance against cheating," said a post on Battle.net, "we have permanently closed 263,000 StarCraft accounts and 19,000 Warcraft III accounts."

In addition, Blizzard permanently banned 1,100 Warcraft III CD keys used with the shuttered accounts and forbade another 8,000 from ladder play for one month. "Repeat offenders risk having their CD keys disabled, which will result in the permanent removal of their copies of StarCraft or Warcraft III from Battle.net," said Blizzard, which also issued a stark warning to would-be cheats: "We will continue to monitor Battle.net for cheating and take action as needed."

Blizzard's actions are the latest in an ongoing anticheat offensive by developers of online games. At the end of January, DICE included Punkbuster anticheating software in the v1.6.19 patch for its ultrapopular online WWII shooter Battlefield 1942. "

By Tor Thorsen -- GameSpot
    Posted: 03/09/04 03:32 PM

No mention of ANY D2 accts, and no complaints from players so far. Guess they are to busy worrying about WC3 and Starcraft.

2. th5418

th5418 Banned

Just because it doesn't mention about diablo2 doesnt mean its not happening. Will you obstinate people look at it in a company's point of view. Is Diablo two making them any money?

3. Lord Chaos

Lord Chaos IncGamers Member

Is warcraft 3?

4. Reggitsan

Reggitsan Banned

Is Starcraft?

5. Masticophis

Masticophis IncGamers Member

You asked above if diablo2 is making them money ?
    My god.. is StarCraft ? I dont think you point is valid about D2 not making them money. StarCraft prob hasnt made money in 6 years.. obviously thats a slight exageration, but you see my point.

6. th5418

th5418 Banned

Yes it is......and starcraft i still see people buying it in shops but the Diablo2 is alawys full shelved. Maybe blizzard shioudl just file bankrupcy. Besides, what are you gonig to do about it Masticophis? Go up to the company and whine to them? Stop playing?

7. Verocity

Verocity IncGamers Member

Hrmm, you do the math.

282,000 accounts closed.
    263,000 Starcraft
    19,000 Warcraft III

Yup, no D2 accounts in there.

Though when they do start closing them I'm sure we'll hear about it.

8. chaka

chaka IncGamers Member

Maybe not but it could be an ivestment in StarCraft 3. Ya see, if Blizz has a new version in the works, they'll want to appease the players of the old version so that these people will purchase the new version.

9. Gorny

Gorny Banned

I bet sooner or later, we will hear of D2X accounts being closed or banned. It always happens. If the accounts on D2X do end up being banned for some form of cheating, that's tough luck.

10. Lord Chaos

What on earth are you talking about...around here Diablo 2 sells more than Warcraft 3 does...in fact the store ran out of Diablo 2 recently, restocked, and they already have less than half left.

11. Lord Chaos

Too bad they seem to hit people who doesn't cheat too.

12. krunch

krunch IncGamers Member

In my opinion it has been too long between D2 bannings. USEast hcl already is overwhelmed with botters, dupers and map-hack users. It really is pathetic that the same people that cried for the patch, no doubt because they no longer occupied the top of the economy pyramid, are the very same people that used every method to gain an unfair advantage post-patch and that Blizz can't do jack. I'm really tired of being verbally abused by every enigma wearing a$$hole I come across in public games just because my hcl 89 amazon wears a damn Duriel's Shell. I say ban 'em permanently and do it quick or reset the ladder already. :rant:

But that's just me.

13. Gorny

Gorny Banned

I agree with you there. One point I'd make, is that I never bought anyof my pre 1.10 gear, I either found or traded for it. And received a donation or two from a friend I met on battle.net, whom I have grown to trust as mush as I trust some my friends from these forums. During the time that my amazon was still "young", I ususally got insults for not having top end gear. Most of the public population do not realize nor do they care that not everyone out there is as well off as others.

Now, I play 95% private games on Useast. Aside from playing closed games with the Valar Guild, I only play with a few trustable people from here. Some of those are : Usufruct, Voldemort, UncleanSpirit, Suggestivename(though I have yet to play with him), and some of the others in our Pit/Baal run group.

I realize and say that there alot of other people here that can be trusted, but they may speak for themselves.

14. Kitten~The~Evil

Kitten~The~Evil IncGamers Member

Same here... there are a few people I have become good friends with on US East from the trade forums, and we meet a few times a week for group games. Most of us chat on messenger programs during the day from work (cause come on, who actually works when they are at work??), and I've even met one of them in person when I went on a trip (and he and his wife were some of the nicest people I've ever met).

I rarely ever go into public games anymore... why bother? They are full of rude, obnoxious people who are usually looking to scam you - and quite frankly, I'm not a dueler. Why is it that within a few minutes of entering a game, someone wants to duel you? And if you say no, its "N00b" Ugh... grow up! If I wanted to duel, I would go into a dueling game!

Oh how I hate Public games.... :rant:

15. Gorny

Gorny Banned

Same goes for me.

16. Lord Chaos

You know, just because you have an enigma and is an ******* != cheater...its a possibility, but not a certainty.

And a ladder reset benefits those who cheat the most, not us legit players...they'll just get the more buyers and we'd be even more screwed.

17. Usufruct

Usufruct IncGamers Member

Yeah I haven't found anyone yet on battle.net that I trust. I trust some people from these forums, (Aragorn, Suggestive, Voldemort, TheWoodShed, and everyone I've traded with in the USEast trading forum.

Although I shouldn't trust Suggestivename because he stole my windforce and PK'd my 99 Sorc with his Ranger. :)

18. Gorny

Gorny Banned

*chuckle*

... So he killed your sorc in the face eh ?

19. Usufruct

Usufruct IncGamers Member

Definitely in the face.

20. krunch

krunch IncGamers Member

I disagree. A ladder reset levels the playing field at least until the cheaters can get their cheats going. I take your point with regard to this issue to mean that the longer a ladder season lasts, the longer a legit player has to accumulate what the cheaters already have (at which time the cheaters will start crying for a reset anyway), however it doesnt matter how many buyers there are if you have nothing to sell! While the price of an item generally drops as the season progresses, they can certainly make up for that in volume unless of course the season is so short that they can't accumulate any items.

And I never implied that all enigma wearers were cheaters, but I do find it odd that I have been playing this game on USEast hardcore for at least three years and have never even seen a Jah or a Ber, while these guys seem to have acquired both over the last four months. I find it hard to beleive that even 10% of the enigmas on USEast hcl are legit.

But then again, that's just me.