Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Blizcon 09 IGN interview - Focus on two major demons?? 5th class from previous games?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by sectoid, Aug 24, 2009.

1. sectoid

sectoid IncGamers Member

Blizcon 09 IGN interview - Focus on two major demons?? 5th class from previous games?

I don't know how anybody here didn't notice this yet (sorry if someone has already posted about it, I couldn't find)... this interview is linked to on diii.net's homepage, I'll quote the question by IGN and its answer:

What does he mean about two major demons? Diablo and Mephisto, who are greater evils and had their soulstones shattered, or Belial and Azmodan, who make another duo but calling them "major demons" could be too much?? I would like to hear your thoughts on this, since I just started on Diablo books (reading Legacy of Blood) and so I'm both behind on the extended lore and don't recall the main games lore on every detail.

Another thing, in the question right after this one, Jay also practically confirms Adria in the game, since most of the others are dead:

And yet another one!!! Man I've been reading everything I can about D3 since it was revealed, I don't recall they giving the below information... actually I do forget almost everything these days, but hobby info I tend to keep!!! :whistling:
    I do remember him saying that the barbarian would be the ONLY returning class, don't know if he specified "from D2".

I've wondered more than a bit if they would get the rogue back. It would be cool to have a class come back from D1, and since D2's hero helped restore the rogues, it would make sense that they wanted to help in the fight against evil once more. Also, they could really improve the class!! It also fits with the story they came up about not being certain about the 5th class. Some guy commented on one of the news that they probably exchanged the 5th (monk) with the 4th because of this, and he may well be right. Should we have seen the rogue instead of the monk? I for one would have liked it, and the flashy monk would've made a cool final class (maybe they would've had time to make a better introductory cinematic for him also...).

Edit: I just finished reading the interview. I can't believe this!!! IGN has made Jay talk like never before!! People are crying all over the place over the absence of new lore info but it seems it's just because Jay saved it all for IGN!!! Look at this next quote, he just confirms Belial as if it's not new info at all:

AGAIN, correct me if I'm wrong please, sincerely I barely remember today's lunch, but this is too much for my head!!! They don't make practically any announcement at Blizzcon about lore and then spill all this new info for this IGN interview, without any bang...

Edit 2: now the "two major demons" thing may well be indeed Belial and Azmodan. Jay talked about never mentioning that Diablo will be in the game on the Blizzcon D3 Q&A Panel, but then in this IGN interview in a question about Battle.net he mentions that someone might see that a friend is battling Diablo and join in. It might just be an example, but Diablo III wouldn't be a Diablo game without Diablo anyway. So this almost confirms that Belial and Azmodan will be there for you to kick their asses, which may as well be also kicked by Diablo, which'll probably have his *** kicked again by you but in a way that he planned all along!! :D

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  2. ancalagon

ancalagon IncGamers Member

Re: Blizcon 09 IGN interview - Focus on two major demons?? 5th class from previous ga

Major demons - Belial / Azmodan or Belial / Diablo. Belial has been confirmed. The one left out might be in the expansion/s.

NPC's from Diablo 1 - Referring to Adria the Witch. She's in various concept art.

Class from previous games - A Ranged class, so painfully obvious.

3. Angel_of_Wrath

Angel_of_Wrath IncGamers Member

Re: Blizcon 09 IGN interview - Focus on two major demons?? 5th class from previous ga

But is it a Rogue or Amazon? Or could it be another class from 'Hellfire'.... some sort of ranged, singing character.

4. sectoid

sectoid IncGamers Member

Ancalagon, much of this is obvious, the point is that it was not confirmed before. Also, so much new lore info got to this interview, even though none of it was mentioned at Blizzcon. They could've made a lore panel from this.

Angel_of_Wrath, I think they meant the rogue. They said that Hellfire is not considered cannon as its not from Blizzard. The monk "returning" is simply a coincidence that they wanted to do this class, not a return from Hellfire. However, it seems they're not sure about the rogue.

5. ancalagon

Neither. They specifically said, many times, 'no returning classes besides Barbarian'.

You're confusing 'someone from the other games' for 'a class from the other games'

There is going to be an NPC from D2 (most probably, 'cuz everyone from D1 is either dead or is way too big a wuss, except for Adria who doesnt count as a possible class - shes old and we have a pure magic/caster class), and this NPC is going to provide the backstory for the NEW archer class. Not Amazon, not Rogue, but ???

Theyre not even sure that is going to be the case, anyway, so this is all moot.

And yes, I agree the Monk doesnt count as returning class, as Hellfire was never canon or even created by Blizzard themselves. So they didnt go back on their word, so to speak

6. Angel_of_Wrath

Angel_of_Wrath IncGamers Member

Guess I should have put a ;-) at the end of that. I know Hellfire is not canon, they repeat that often enough. It's just amusing that the Barbarian and now the Monk have made an appearance.
    Obviously it's not the Amazon; it's possible it could be a Rogue - since they are both a class in D1 and the NPCs from D2; and, well, if it's a bow-wielding Bard, I will laugh, cry, and then try it out.
    I think they are having presentation issues with the class with all the OH NOZ people if they call it 'Rogue', or maybe how to integrate some sort of Natural/Druid/Dryad element into it, or backstory issues with how we can ignore the Amazons now.

7. Flux

Flux Administrator

Asheara was in the blizzcon build, seemingly reprising her role as a merc leader.

Jay said in another interview that diablo was the ultimate end monster of the game.

From the quotes above it sounds like we'll see something along the lines of D2. Various lesser evils in the early acts, leading up to Diablo at the end?

I think we'll see a rogue for the 5th char, since it's gotta be some kind of archer/ranged attacker. And they've said no other d2 chars will return as playable classes (though we'll probably see one/some as NPCs), so no Amazon. The gender issues hit them both, since Rogues were "Sisters of the Sightless Eye." A fairly obvious female-only clan. Then again, we're going to get female "monks," so gender exclusive associations don't seem real durable in sanctuary.

8. Rash

Rash IncGamers Member

I haven't read a lore book but when i read "focus on the two major demons" i immideately think if Diablo and Baal. Those were the two end bosses of D2LoD. And Diablo will play a role for sure in D3.

9. sectoid

sectoid IncGamers Member

@Angel_of_Wrath: Please no Natural/Druid/Dryad on D3!! I hate these types of characters on ANY game. Don't even mention it, you may give them ideas!!! ;p

@Flux: By ultimate end monster for Diablo, I think he'll be the last boss of the last expansion then. Maybe he'll appear on D3, but if you get to fight/defeat him, it'll not be for long.
    As you said, we'll probably deal with the two lesser (but major) demons, Belial and Azmodan, probably ending up helping the three brothers in the process. Maybe Lilith can be also thrown in to revenge her daughter :p (don't know if I'm talking bs because I haven't read all the books yet).
    About the rogue, I was confused about the gender issue. I recalled there being only female rogues, but I wasn't sure if this was a rule or anything. In this case I think Blizzard can always come up with another male (or genderless) rogue clan for the male character.

@Rash: The problem is that Mephisto is just as major as these two. Also, there's the soulstone issue: if you look that way, Mephisto and Diablo had theirs shattered, while Baal had not.

10. ancalagon

(Youre right, Andariel is her daughter.)

This brings to mind a very interesting concept I always wanted to discuss and expand on. I'd like to have some input on it.

I dont think there is any sense of kinship or a 'kind attitude' (the word love would be hilarious) between demon 'families', I never felt anything pointing towards that, or against it for that matter. Although Mephisto seems to have seduced the 'female' angel Auriel at a point, according to popular fan speculation. Maybe he assumed an attractive human form, kind of like Sauron in LOTR ... Did he romance her too? Who knows ... Sure they're the embodiment of pure evil, but even the coldest hearted murderers have a soft stop sometimes. It would be strange if Lilith and Lucion are the result of their 'mating', furthermore shouldnt they be Nephalem then, not Demons? We dont know if Baal or Diablo had any offspring.

Maybe the high ranking Demons cant mate amongst themselves and Mephisto needed children to further his empire on Sanctuary.

The brothers seem to work a lot together, especially in D2, but I dont know if its because they have a 'bond' that is as close as possible to human affection (lol again, these are DEMONS!) or its because they are smart and realise they each have individual strengths as the 3 Supreme Evils. Kinda like a 'business' attitude.
    Baal says 'My brothers will not have died in vain' ... what does that imply?

Lilith and Lucion could have cared less about each other, Lilith was a rebel anyway who had her own plans in mind, while Lucion apparently worked for his father. I had a feeling they would have been very competitive between themselves as siblings however, they're both extremely ambitious and strong willed / hard headed. Kinda like a love/hate thing between siblings.

Have no idea if Lilith even cares about her daughter ...

A lot of lore plotholes there. Im just ranting. Please share thoughts.

11. sectoid

sectoid IncGamers Member

You're quite right, we just talk about these things assuming that demons are similar to us, when probably they would not be.

Based on the lore, I think demons do feel sexually attracted by either demons, humans or angels. Actually, I think it's all a great party where no faction is entirely disgusted by any other, and they seem to be all compatible.

However, there probably can be some sort of attachment to siblings on demons, as demonstrated by the Baal line you mentioned. I think they would not think twice about killing siblings if there would be major gains in it, but they would also be furious if any non-family entity killed a sibling. It would at least be a good reason to maim and kill, and they're always looking for that...

I cannot talk about Lilith and Lucion but between the 3 brothers, I think it's just business attitude, or maybe some unholy law that prohibits them. Think about it... if Mephisto is the oldest, would he not be jealous / furious to know that suddenly there's another demon just as powerful as him? Would he not try to kill the thing in its infancy (assuming there was such a thing for the prime evils) and continue ruling alone? It makes sense, so maybe it's just that he can't or knows that it's best to have some allies. Or maybe he just likes them ;p.

12. viljarast

viljarast IncGamers Member

My bet is a kind of Ranger-Archer as seen in AD&D (familiar from the Baldur's Gate series).
    Would make sense to me - the unwritten laws of RPGs need a ranged attacker and a "one with the nature"-skills wielding ranger, druid or some other class like that.
    Or will Blizzard save the nature skills to x-packs, as in D2?

13. KingOfKings

KingOfKings IncGamers Member

the discussion regarding demons, the demons code of brotherhood? offspring, demon law? etc is pretty eye opening stuff, wow, please continue this conversation, i have my own opinion, but i would much like to see this continued!!!

THANK YOU sectoid and ancalagon!!

14. DWS

DWS IncGamers Member

I know this isn't necessarily story related but I for one would love to play Rogue and would choose that above the ones already announced.

But there are things that make me think no rogue.

1) they are somewhat 1 dimensional in that they don't have an awesome factor. I guess that could be worked out. In addition to flaming and freezing arrows (yawn) there could be other rogue-like stuff like stealth. Imagine somehow working in assassin-like charge up and finishing moves...cool.

2) No boy rogues.

3) You can't have that character return from D1 (like the Barb returning from D2) because that was Blood Raven so I'm a little confused. There's many barbs but the new barb is the same barb from D2. There are many rogues but this rogue is just some random other rogue. Inconsistent.

Because their ultimate goal and the game D3 will prepare us for lore-wise (IMO) is a Diablo MMO I would suggest that they introduce the rest of the lesser evils, the rest of the heaven side characters and develop two distinct factions at a standstill against each other.

So Belial = major demon? I dunno...I'd say he's not major but lesser. Diablo is a major. Belial is a lesser.

15. sectoid

sectoid IncGamers Member

DWS,

About your (2) and (3), I don't think there's much problem in getting another new rogue from the sisters. However, they would have to come up with a male rogue clan, possibly unrelated to any old lore (a bit like the female barbarian). As for Belial being a major demon, that was also my doubt at first... I figure they mentioned major as in "demons that can be major bosses", and not as in the lesser-greater thing.

KingOfKings,

Please share your thoughts with us also!! Ancalagon didn't reply yet, so...
    I'm a bit confused though - is there some official lore as to a "demon's code of brotherhood" or is this just a term you made up?

16. Arkham

Arkham IncGamers Member

Throwing my name in with the people who want the Rogue to come back.
    It does seem rather unlikely, but it would make me oh-so-happy if it were to happen.

17. Detheroc

Detheroc IncGamers Member

The two major demons, I'd immediately assume to be Belial and Azmodan. It's true, they're Lesser Evils, but compared to all the lesser minion demons, they're still major demons. They command armies of Hell, so that would make them rather major.

It's not impossible that the two major demons could be two of the Prime Evils, but personally, I'd prefer to have only one prime evil in this game: Diablo (or a '3 brothers hybrid' boss for that matter). The other two kinda suck and I'd rather see some new Act bosses instead of two prime evils already seen in Diablo 2.

I would really hope that Blizzard would get more original for the fifth class than to ressurect the Rogue. They already brought back the Barb, let's see some new blood please. Preferably an archer class with some new tricks up the sleeve.

18. Kilraen

Kilraen IncGamers Member

From what I know of Diablo Lore, Azmodan and Belial are locked in a Battle for Supremacy over Hell. D2 never mentions this battle at all, in fact it never even mentions the 2 Demons. Just like that, Diablo comes to Hell and takes over. This could only mean that Azmodan and Belial gave up the war and let Diablo take over.

Hence in D3, as the IGN Interview explained, Belial will be definitely a major force involved in the invasion of Sanctuary, now that the Worldstone has been destroyed, the barriers between the worlds have been somewhat weakened. But, this is kind of confusing, because when you defeat Baal in D2, Tyrael said that if the Worldstone were left alone, then it would draw the energies of the world, and the barriers between the worlds would weaken, allowing Hell to flood into Sanctuary.

But the Worldstone has been destroyed, so have the Barriers been destroyed too? Or are they just weak now, allowing certain Demons to enter?

Also about Baal's SoulStone, well it wasn't destroyed, but I'm quite sure that in the explosion of the Worldstone, the gem may have been destroyed as well. Or maybe not, and there might be an act completely devoted to reclaiming the Barbarian Lands, and a supposed quest involving Baal's Resurrection. This is quite exciting, especially if you're a Barbarian. The whole, Reclaim the Motherland thingy XD

Also, does this mean we shall no longer see Duriel and Andariel. We know that they were banished back to the Black Abyss that spawned them, but as far as Demons go, they cannot be completely destroyed, as in, when defeated, their spirits simply go back to Hell, where they are reborn.

And heck, even Diablo's Soulstone wasn't destroyed. When Diablo is defeated in D2, his spirit simply goes back to the SoulStone, and his body is destroyed. The SoulStone is seen shining for a moment, and then we see it no more. No where it is said that, Diablo's SoulStone was destroyed.

I hope I added a lot of interesting questions and tidbits.

19. sectoid

sectoid IncGamers Member

Kilraen,

About the worldstone, what I understood was that Baal corrupted it, meaning that only Hell would be able to travel into Sanctuary. By destroying it, "at least" both Heaven and Hell would be able to do so (we don't know yet if that's really a good thing).

About Diablo's soulstone, it's smashed in a cinematic video, along with Mephisto's, if I recall correctly. Only Baal's remain, but I could accept your theory that it got destroyed along with the worldstone.

Also, good note on Diablo's return to Hell and takeover. Belial and Azmodan may be back under his command.

20. Kilraen

Kilraen IncGamers Member

Oh yes, you're right about Diablo's SoulStone. I totally forgot that video. This means that there will be a very nice way through which Diablo may return. We'll see about Baal though. Actually speaking, Soulstones are quite fragile, if I remember my Diablo 1 History, the Archbishop(Forgot his name) in Leoric's court, simply broke Diablo's SoulStone by hurling it on the ground.

I have another tidbit to add. I'm sure that King Leoric may show up in the Tristram episode. The cult that rebuilt Tristram may have something to do with this as well. In fact there's a scene in the Diablo 3 Gameplay cinematic, where a Skeletal Armor is shown sitting on a Throne, and a spirit goes into the Armor, and it awakens and begins to fight the characters. This could be King Leoric.

As to the Demon's code of Brotherhood, I may have some interesting ideas. The three Prime Evils are brothers, for sure. I'm quite sure they see themselves as brothers, and have brotherly instincts as well. Why else, would Diablo seek out his brothers. He could rule the world himself without seeking to free his brothers from their prisons.

However, I think this code only applies to the Prime Evils, and not to the lesser Evils. Remember, the Lesser Evils conspired together to overthrow the Prime Evils, and succeeded. However, their coalition was not solid, as Azmodan and Belial immediately began fighting each other. Remember a Quote from Deckard Cain about Andariel in Act 1.

"The Lesser Demons are always vying against each other for positions in the unholy heirarchy"

Wow I actually remembered that. Lol.

About Lucion and Lilith, I don't recall that lore completely, but I don't think it will have much to do with D3. Lilith may have a role, but Lucion, not so sure.