Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

*blink* *blink*

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Zarhrezz, Mar 9, 2004.

1. Zarhrezz

Zarhrezz IncGamers Member

*blink* *blink*

Ok, so I took my level 76 Enchantress into Hell...she's now gotten to the underground passage and only Corpsefire managed to get her to drink a few full rejuvs. Although she's only attacking at 11 fpa (30% IAS on Kingslayer Phase, need 20% more for 10 fpa which I can only do with very expensive jewels...see my trade list), I'm now convinced that Dracul's Grasp is well worth losing attack speed for. By far the best "keep merc and me alive" tool that I have on me.
    Even though progress wasn't too fast so far, I felt pretty good about the Enchantress, she can stand her ground and kill reasonably quick, even Fire Immunes.
    Then something struck me...
    I had never lowered the player setting after my Nightmare Baal runs...my little Enchantress experiment has gone through 8 player Hell this far while maintaining a fair killing speed even against Fire Immunes, and also against FI/CI or FI/LI uniques...my cute little melee sorc... I've never had any other character that could kill reasonably quick in players 8 Hell, and this character is...and I was wondering if she'd even make it through Hell.
    Talk about being pleasantly surprised...

2. Spook_Cell

Spook_Cell IncGamers Member

Ha sure got you, I brought down your players setting while you weren't looking :creep: . But seriously it sounds like enchantresses can be quite an effective build with the right equipment.

3. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

I'd say you can get to act 2 at most while on player 8. My combat machine fury wolf (heavily twinked) got to act 3 before I got sick of it and turned down the player setting. (can still kill, but slowly, and I got bored), if you can do that, hats off to you! :worship:

4. Zarhrezz

Yeah, I know...I don't expect to go through it all at players 8...but so far so good (well, except just dying in the Underground Passage...doing fine fighting a Flesh Stalker pack with Unknown Aura/CE/FE, the boss goes boom, taking my ES and life to almost zero, killed by a carver...turns out the bunch of carvers was also a boss pack, Cursed/Extra Fast/Fanatism...I though the Stalker pack had the Fanatism. Cursed never went off since the boss couldn't get to me earlier...small corridor...but he could get close right after the other boss took me to near death, yay).
    Right now listed damage is 5750-6885, most of it being fire damage of course, though Conviction gives some decent cold and lightning damage also. Besides that there's 33% CB and 75% OW.
    Merc damage is in the 2k range with 45% CB from Hone Sundan. I'm thinking about giving him something else...but I can't decide on Bonehew, Reaper's Toll or Kelpie Snare...I think Kelpie isn't too suited, it's more of a boss killer weapon. Reaper's Toll will override Life Tap from Dracul's Grasp in a small area about the merc, but I'm kinda wondering if that's really that bad, considering the monsters are already slowed by his HF, Decrepify will make them come to a stop, which is also great protection =) Bonehew is solid damage if I don't want the Decrepify anyways...but perhaps CB from Hone Sundan is just as effective. Choices choices...

5. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

That's a lot of damage though, even if most is fire. My high level zealot does less damage than that.

Also, where did conviction from? :scratch:

6. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy IncGamers Member

I would stick with the Hone sundan. The CB is invaluable, even on higher settings.

I'm thinking the same thing...

crg

7. Hozze

Hozze IncGamers Member

I'm pretty sure he means Vengeance, Kingslayer gives +1 to Vengeance to all classes and he mentions he gets added cold and lightning damage, so...

8. Piawanegawa

Piawanegawa IncGamers Member

Well, with that weapon almost any character would have a decent killing speed. It's all about CB on that player setting in hell. I don't really think that the Vengeance or Enchant damage made such a big difference :).

I's like to see her against a PI boss :)

Pia

9. Zarhrezz

Erh, yeah....Vengeance, of course (hey, it was 2:30 am and I had karate training earlier that evening...was kinda worn out).

This far 2 PI bosses have gone down with no problems really. Not much of a reduction in speed against them. The first PI/FI will be interesting though...that'll cut my damage down to a few 100 lightning and cold plus bleeding...though the merc also adds some rapid cold damage.

10. strijdje

strijdje IncGamers Member

cool adventures :thumbsup:
    keep us updated and good luck in hell :clap:

robin

11. Bolinbrooke

Bolinbrooke IncGamers Member

Do you have any spare stat points to put in CM of LM?

How does the almost max ES effect matters?

My melee sorc deals 5172-8419 damage and uses a B-Star and alot of elemental damge charms. As long as you dont rush headlong into a battle and pick your mark, zap a few static fields off and take the bosses down first by teleporting in and out as required you will have a Matriarch soon :)

12. Zarhrezz

She's level 78 now and Warmth needs 1 more point, so the build will be complete at level 79. AFter that, the points are free still...CM and LM are definitely options...I think I'll pass on Static, I hardly ever use it (only against FI's really...if it's not FI or high fire resistant, it dies in 3-4 hits). I'm also considering FA or forgetting about the freeze and go to SA for more defense rating...though I kind of get the feeling those differences are marginal (the freeze duration isn't good enough in hell anyways and a few 100 extra defense won't matter more than a few %'s chance that monsters hit me). Does anyone know if chilling effect from cold damage stacks with the effect of Holy Freeze? If so, I might sink some points into Frost Nova for area chilling with a decent duration. In the choice between CM and LM I'm inclined to go for CM since it'll be more effective against high resistant monsters...cold damage will work fine against CE (but not CI) where lightning damage will be serverely wimpied by a LE (not LI) and Magic Resistant also shows up everywhere in Hell.

This build isn't using max ES, I have 20 TK and 1 in Teleport...ES is cast from my switch (Memory for a +9 ES, further boosted by +1 from SoJ, +2 from Mara's and another +1 at lvl 80 from Arachnid). She can take a pretty damn hard beating from stuff that's not Mana Burn, though attacks that ignore block can take down the ES pretty fast (those are almost exclusively elemental attacks though, and with 90% all resists that's not too much of a problem). Problems arise when facing Mana Burn/Cursed groups...she doesn't have too high hps (600) and being cursed w/o Energy Shield can take her down in a few hits...and you always miss your block checks when it matters =) She did just tank a Cursed/Spectral Hit/??? Grisward and never got into the danger zone...right after that she got killed by a Mana Burn carver minion though (she was still Cursed from Griswald when that minion group swarmed her).

For the weapon, I wouldn't trade my Kingslayer Phase Blade for a Star...if I calculted correctly, Vengeance damage is now 118-136 fire/cold/lightning which is more average than the 1-200 from the Star. There isn't much of a speed difference (I'm at 11 frames now, would need 20% IAS for 10 fpa...not sure if Star needs more IAS for 10 fpa). There is some difference in AR bonus, Star gives 200%, Vengeance and Kingslayer bonus add up to 100%...but I don't consider that relevant with the AR bonus from Enchant. The average physical damage seems to be equal, but Kingslayer also adds 33% CB and 50% OW...all considered Kingslayer is the way to go in my little world ;)
    Right now I'm not using elemental damage charms, slots are filled with life/mana and some skillers...I'm pretty content with the damage as is, so if I'll change/add charms, it'll probably be life/mana charms.

I took 3 deaths in hell this far and I think all 3 could have been prevented easilly by not relying on tanking power as much as I've done this far. I guess a bit of an after-effect of having played a ranged full ES build prior to this...that character had 1 thing to fear pretty much, and that was Mana Burn....the rest couldn't really scratch her. I just need to start being a bit more cautious =)

13. Zarhrezz

Hmm...just did some calculating and the results are something to ponder.
    With final gear at lvl 85 I could use Azurewrath. 250-500 cold and magic damage does sound sweet, no? Cold Mastery would be at -85% enemy cold resistance at that point.
    Now say I sink those skill points into Lightning Masters. Kingslayer's Vengeance would add 402-462 fire, 126-145 cold and 389-480 lightning damage. Cold Mastery would give -40% enemy resistance. Besides that, Kingslayer will add around 100% AR, 33% CB and 50% OW plus Prevent Monster Heal.
    I'm seriously wondering if Azurewrath will do better than Kingslayer in general play.

14. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

So LM multiplies Vengence Lit damage?

15. Zarhrezz

So it seems from the numbers I'm getting.

16. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

All 3 masteries are multiplied by the total amount of element that is on attack no matter where its from so long as the char is using the attack. IE a minion does not count as a char based attack.

In short yes LM would multiply the lightning damage from Vengence. It would also multiply any lightning damage from charms.

@ Zarhrezz adding to your LM sounds like your best route.

17. Moog_playa

Moog_playa IncGamers Member

I posted my Doom cryptic axe a few weeks ago...this has -45% enemy cold resistance...might be fun, coupled with cold mastery, to drop it even further. My question is, with a Holy Freeze merc and the Doom weapon, would the pulsed cold damage be applying that -45%? And if so, then you could whack a monster with more cold dmg and your own CM and do even more....something to ponder.

18. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

Ot

Well this stems into a different topic all together but, a Doom runeword weapon applies its -45% to enemy cold resistance to all attacks originating from the char with it in their possession. Ie if the Merc is carrying the Doom runeword then yes it will lower resist on all enemies it hits with the holy freeze. However in your example your merc can not carry the weapon so it will not get the benifit of the -45% cold resist. However, Doom has an aura on it and that aura will get the -45% enemy resist. Also any attack that the char cast will get the -45% cold resist.

You could use such a weapon to your advantage by using it to replace x # of skill points in CM because only -100% cold resist really adds to damage cold any additional amount adds only when enemies have resistance. This would leave additional skill points to place elsewhere.

19. StarWarz2

StarWarz2 IncGamers Member

So does Fire Mastery ... :) Across the board, the masteries affect elemental attacks of that type. So, LM affects the damage boost from that LC of Storms sitting in your inventory and FM boosts the Smoldering SC that's just sitting there in your inventory waiting to be sold.

Cheers!

[Grrr ... gotta stop letting work distract me while posting ... :p Sheesh. Too many other replies beat me. -- ed.]

20. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

Yepper thats why it could be an advantage to a melee sorc or bow sorc to use maxed FM and LM.