Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Bleeping telemarketers are getting sneakier

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Arokthis, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Arokthis

Arokthis IncGamers Member

Bleeping telemarketers are getting sneakier

I'm on the do not call list, but I got an interesting, if very aggrivating, call yesterday. Just so you know, I'm a male with a higher-than average voice, so I often get mistaken for a woman over the phone. I live alone in an apartment, I don't have a car, and I've never had any credit cards, which means mortgage and debt-relief companies have no reason to bother me.

Phone rings
    - "Hello?"
    - "Can I speak to the lady of the house?"
    - (Annoyed) "Do you know what number you've called?"
    - "We're dialing all sorts of combinations of numbers, plus charities are exempt from the do-not-call restrictions."
    - (Deep breath, sigh.) "Wonderful. Am I talking to a computer or an actual human being?"
    - (Laughs.) "Do I really sound that bad? Well, believe it or not, you've been talking to a real person the whole time." (The word "whole" was emphasized.) "Can I ask you a few questions about the excessive adult content of today's TV shows?"
    - "Negative." (I was still suspiscious that I was talking to a machine.)
    - "Good." (Suspicion confirmed.) " What do you ...." click

At that point I hung up. I probably should have stayed on the line so I could complain to the people running the damned thing, but I was too pissed to think of it at the time. Anyone else gotten a call like this?

2. Jimi-

Jimi- IncGamers Member

i did once, i said my parents werent home and he just kept on talking,

i just reported him to blizzard for botting

3. Necrolestes

Necrolestes IncGamers Member

The 411

Did you get his number or better yet, the name of his company, Arothkis? There may not be anything that you can do but if you have his number or name of company, you can report it to the people in charge of your do-not-call list. Some telemarketers are STILL permitted to call you even if you're on a DNC list depending on the nature of their business (that's why even if you got his number, you may not be able to do anything about it).

4. ~Kazama Fury~

~Kazama Fury~ IncGamers Member

That conversation dialogue was well written!
    I had a laugh.

Seriously though, I usually just hang up before even going into a short conversation. Its easy to tell what they want quite fast.

5. Newman

Newman IncGamers Member

If you've ever seen the movie 'Boiler Room'. I always try to do what Seth does in the movie. (I forget his REAL name).

I like getting telemarketer calls JUST for that reason.

6. bustme

bustme IncGamers Member

I once answered to this telemarketer during my leave when I was back in the army. The guy asked if I was a student, after some hesitation I said well, yeah, since if felt sort of embarassing to say I was a soldier, and I didn't finish my college education yet anyway. The guy started talking about real estate, I cut him off and said no, we weren't interested, then the guy said who were you (=a student) to say no, and hung up on me.

I was in a very unpleasant mood for the next ten minutes or so.

7. Jigga-Scrooge

Jigga-Scrooge IncGamers Member

if i get the call at home, im usually listening to some form of music so i just put it right next to the speaker and crank it up.

8. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

The bastards never call my cell phone, and I refuse to pay for a land line I'll never use, so I don't have one. My cell is on the DNC list, and so far so good. If the bastards ever start finding me, though, I'll use one I once heard my father use.

"Hello?"
    "No, I'm sorry, he's recently deceased, would you like me to see if the grieving widow is up for talking with you?"
    *click*

9. DrunkPotHead

DrunkPotHead IncGamers Member

Another telemarketing thread? I thought i made a post awhile back explaining everything about every possible telemarketer trick and what you can do about it.

As a [former?] very successful telemarketer for a fundraiser, i had some very good tips. Too busy to look it up now, but did anyone save it by any chance?