Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Blaze Sorc...?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by zaphette, Feb 12, 2004.

1. zaphette

zaphette IncGamers Member

Blaze Sorc...?

I was reading mongojerry's stories yesterday and he mentioned Sirian. Haven't thought about him in a long time. This got me started on a blaze sorc.

Obviously I will max blaze and FM.

I'm thinking a few points in freezing armour.

What should I use to kill the monsters that won't chase me? Orb would seem logical, but I've used orb on lots of chars.

What about Charged Bolt? Any thoughts?

I don't know if she will pull off Hell, certainly I'll take her through NM (out of stubborness if nothing else).

Any thoughts or advice are welcome.

2. plasteredkittylizard

plasteredkittylizard IncGamers Member

Other than a need to have a skill to take down ranged attackers, I'd be all for some massive run/walk. Youll have to run circles around enemies to stack the blaze damage, and it will probably be a difficult task overall. I would also suggest some FHR, definetly. FHR makes a world of difference between fleeing successfully and getting nailed. Another suggestion would be static, so you can get safely ahead, and throw static to make em die quicker, and it makes things easier for you in Hell, as you can let your merc tank fire immunes. Hope it helps!

3. mathil

mathil IncGamers Member

for monsters that chase you, run away, run at them, run back away, all in the same line. that will stack multiple blazes also.

i don't like the idea of doing it in circles because they may not even walk into the flames.

more run walk means that u can stack more and more blazes dealing more dmg.

i would be careful if you use a merc. because for blaze to deal any dmg, you need the monsters to move, if a merc is tanking them, they won't move. an a3 or a1 merc wouldn't have that problem.

as far as a 2ndary skill is concerned, u might want to orb or CB. another way to do it would be to to have a melee weapon on switch and max enchant.

4. this_barb

this_barb IncGamers Member

sounds like more work than play :D

5. Wuhan_Clan

Wuhan_Clan IncGamers Member

Any kind of cold skill to slow the monsters. And/Or HF merc. Give you more time to lay your Blaze maze. <--- NEW D2 TERM !!!!

Blaze Maze - Blaze trail(s) planted in an intricate manner designed to maximize Blaze damage done to mobile enemies

god i'm sad...

6. ZenPogo

ZenPogo IncGamers Member

Blaze is actually quite fun. Most monsters will follow you anywhere, including ranged attackers. As far as a secondary skill, any thing in the cold tree is a mixed bag. If the monster is in your Blaze, they stay nicely there, but... If they are outside they take a long time to get to the burn. I would recommend something from the Lightning tree. CB is a nice choice and my fav for this build, but CL and L look interesting also. Also, my experience has shown that a merc just gets in the way. It is much better not to have the monster distracted by anything else. The more they run to you, the faster they die. More information on Blaze Sorcs can be found at Bob the Mad Cow's site

Blaze Babe

7. zaphette

Thanks for the input.

I was playing last night. I agree on the merc idea. She seemed to just distract monsters.

Stacked blaze trails kill any chasing monsters REALLY fast. So far (at level 14) with 3 in blaze and a +3 to blaze staff, she kills fast, and the fire trail lasts a LONG time. I can't wait to get it maxed. For those of you who remember Sirian, I'm going out and writing my name in fire on the Blood Moor :) .

I'm definately thinking CB and TStorm. Both of those would benefit from a few points in LM. I was also thinking of Energy Shield, at least a few points.

How about blocking? Is it worth it to keep up max block? I'll be running alot... Blocking is definately an all or nothing deal.

Does anyone know if the fire trail has some radius to it? I was experimenting last night with monsters that won't move (like shamans). It seemed like, if I ran right next to them, they took some damage from my fire trail. I need to do more testing, but I was wondering if anyone knew.

8. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

I have made a pretty succesful HC Blaze Enchantress (she´s alive and that is what counts, right?) who is currently level 82 and has reached the Arreat Plateau waypoint in Hell. Her way to deal with fire immunes is either to melee them with Aldur´s Rhythm (best 1h-weapon she has found so far) if they are not too dangerous, or use javelins and backwards teleporting if they ARE too dangerous. Her mercenary is a fire rogue equipped with a +297% Cruel Ward Bow.

Some thoughts and experiences:

* The points in Enchant are only there to help her hit things, not for damage (hence only 1 point in Warmth). But it sure helps to have maxed Enchant and Fire Mastery against non-fire immunes you can´t get to walk in the flames (maggots, Oblivion Knights, etc.)

* Anything not fire immune you can get to walk in the flames will just be eaten alive if you are good with Blaze. Duriel died VERY quickly, even on Hell.
    Maxed Blaze is a really fun skill to use. For each point added, you get three improvements:
    - more damage per segment over time
    - the flames burn longer
    - you lay down flames longer before you need to recast it

* A Throwing Spear of Vileness (Prevent Monster Heal) has been an essential part of the setup for a long time now. Quite often, I have to retreat, repair javelins, buy potions, etc. mid-battle and it feels great to avoid losing any progress I have made against a tough boss.

* This character is so far very underpowered when it comes to mobs with fire immune critters. But the ranged merc and Teleport has made it possible for me to fight them one at the time. I wish I had a better weapon, though. I counted the swings I needed to kill the average Joe Venom Lord on Hell Outer Steppes and got 57 as a result (I had Prevent Monster Heal going on, of course. Every fire immune gets that treatment now.). That´s when I decided to put my first couple of points into Static Field. I guess I just wanted to see how far I could go without it.

* I would love to have more Crushing Blow. I only have 7% from my crafted Vampirebone Gloves (best gloves I´ve ever had!). It does the job, but it takes time.

* I don´t fully agree on the all-or-nothing deal with blocking. Being HC, I have felt a need for pumping as much as possible into vitality. The Dex is sitting around 145 now (so I can use Winged Harpoons and Phase Blades (should I find a good one)) and provides around 50% blocking. Sure I would like to have 75%, but I have not had the guts to go with a lower vitalilty.

* I usually dare not to tank the FI bosses. I tried on a Champion Venom Lord in the Chaos Sanctuary. She could tank it, but her limit lies somewhere in that area when it comes to monster "badness". With better gear (twinked) tanking would be a lot less dangerous.

* Still, she tanks much better than most other untwinked sorcs and that has been very useful when I apply Blaze tactics. I use a lot of "tempting fate" (run away just when a monster stops to swing. It misses and it takes a little while until the monster has realized it should give chase again). I think I drove the Maulers in Durance of Hate nearly insane! I stacked the Blaze heavily, lured a couple of Maulers into the flames, tempted them, ran back next to them, tempted, etc. That kept them in the flames, looking as stupid as ever. Sometimes, I could be more direct and just tank the monsters to keep them in the flames.

* Frost Nova sounds like it could be a great help, but if I would invest a point in it now, the chilling duration would only be 2 seconds here on Hell.

* I have a coupe of points in Energy Shield, but I find that I use it less and less. It feels far more dangerous to be out of mana if I need to teleport than to live without the protection ES gives. I could have used those 8 points (5 + prerequisites) in Shiver Armor insted. If I had, that skill would have been nearly maxed by now.

* It definately seems like Blaze has a wider "area of damage" than what it looks to have.

To all who decide to play a Blaze Sorceress: Good Luck!
    I would love to hear about different variants for how to deal with fire immunes. This was my contribution, the one that uses physical (and some slight lightning + poison) damage from her weapons and from her rogue mercenary.

By the way, I tried to write her name (she´s called SniperBlazie, or Blazie for short) in the Blood Moor :lol:, using Teleport to jump between the letters. I could not make it look as good as I wanted (not screenshot worthy...). The duration was certainly long enough, though.

9. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Things to add:
    Fireskillers
    and ver important so that you rather low Firedamage will be more effective:
    -xx% fire resistance gear. This will help alot.
    Lots of FRW gear :)

I'd skip blocking since you will be running all the time and simply go for full vitality build. You will be running so fast that it will be hard for anythign to hit you anyways.
    Mana you can easily leave at base, if you get some items with +mana. CB does require some more mana, but not as much as L or CL

20CB
    10L
    20LM
    20Blaze
    20FM

With Frozen Orb even more options are open since you dont need to invest too much into skills

20Blaze
    20FM
    20FO
    8CM
    Rest maybe into Coldarmor or STATIC.

Anotherbuild idea:
    10Static
    20TS
    20LM
    20Blaze
    20FM

FireImmune will be more of a problem then, especially if you dont have a merc.

I agree also that having a Merc with a Blazeress will be rather counteracting.

10. jiansonz

Yes, but only if it is a tanking merc (act 2 or 5) or a cold Iron Wolf. A rogue or a fire/lightning Iron Wolf will work nicely. If some monsters attack the merc, they will usually do ther run-fire-run-fire routine. You can have the sorceress deal with the monsters that attack her and eventually the merc will lead the other ones to you. If the merc is about to get killed, you can teleport him/her away and then run towards the monsters, to get them to chase the sorceress.

11. lextalionis

lextalionis IncGamers Member

How does a high level of Thunderstorm work with this build? I just think it would suck to stop running with this build. TS is auto hit and Auto Cast. I would also think that an Cold ARmor would be good. I'm not sure which one though.

12. Salo

Salo IncGamers Member

i am enjoying the thought of this build. thats REALLY unsual for me. im so veteran, that it takes a hoarde of diablo1 succubi dancing in front of me to get me to wake up. (i miss them, to hell with sexism, they rocked)

Now, im not a veteran of odd sorce builds, just standard ones and some 109 ones. Does -% light res work with Tstorm? if it does, -5% in both fire and light could make this build work. yeah, just a little bit does wonders. hm. only 3 places to put it if you wear enigma (this builds calls for enigma as uber selection choice with 45% runwalk)

I would go moser's with 2 light's in it, and a fire in shako and fire in occulus. (im a mf guy always). hm. magefist, amulet.... Cat's eye :), boots.... Waterwalks, tanking boots as I call them for their 15 dex to block and big life. 20% though is slow compared to other options though. could be a good boss killer. quite a good one actually. HoTo would be a good weapon but it cannot be socketed, shrugs, no -fire or -light.... im doing chippy to see if its all "viable" as they say...

great idea though :). orb could be good for fire immunes, but then it turns into an orb sorc with blaze as cold immune killer. eh. works well, but competes with goal of being a close up run around fighter.
    rings would be one soj, 1 ravenfrost... hm...

Another build idea could be throwing weapons or bow with Cold or Light damage, and blaze. that would take some special thought as well.

Can you prebuff Tstorm??
    you would need to if you wanted it to work well in hell.

best bet would be +2 sorc +10% faster runwalk from a Blood Amulet (crafted)
    not to hard to get it if youre an avid crafter. probably +1 sorc skills with 10% would be great enough. (always gets life and leech, shrugs,leech?)

13. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

I was thinking of making something along the lines of

20 Blaze
    20 FM
    20 T-Storm
    20 LM
    Rest into Freezing armor...

Thinking of using to wear Tals set, to put me one step further on my quest to make a char FOR all 7 sets

maybe putting a Widowmaker on switch and socketing it with a Mal if I get lucky

14. Salo

Salo IncGamers Member

yeah tal's set could work, you would have to use Aldur's boots for 40 runwalk I would guess, as set doesnt have runwalk. and it has a base slowing effect, so thats complicated. the -res on the set is really awesome though for the build. I would go Cat's eye ammy for its 30% runwalk. at least then youd have 70%, a respectable amount.

massive crackhead build would be:
    +30% runwalk, +2 sorc rare circlet with some whatever mods
    Cat's eye - 30%
    Enigma - 45%
    Aldur's Boots - 40%
    Mavina belt - 20% (ahhh forgot that...)
    -----------
    165% runwalk before you get any charms, in fact, charms wouldnt do much with the wall of diminishing returns you will encounter at this number.

youd fly :)

be kinda cool to build it I would think. i duno what else has good runwalk that i havent covered... shrugs.

Occulus teleport might be kinda good for the build instead of getting block locked or fhr stuck. Belt wise, Verdungo's is a better choice if you get Sandstorm treks, both together will make you 125% runwalk (good enough) and give 30% fhr, and some dr.

15. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

I'm ditching the Tals idea. I'd much rather use the armor and ammy on my mfer...plus it's not an expensive build, so I should capitilize on that :) I'll probably just keep tals orb and mask on my mfer, and call her my Tals character...unless I get another armor and ammy, and don't need to trade at the time

16. jiansonz

Don´t go overboard with the Fast Run/Walk speed. I speak from personal experience. It´s hard to maneuver well in tight spaces if you are too fast. However, walking with lots of extra speed may work well...

Most of the time, you want the chasing monsters rather close behind you, so they don´t lose your position or take short cuts when you make turns. My sorcie has 30% Faster Run and I find that to be enough. More would be needed if you plan to walk most of the time.

17. zaphette

Wow, my old thread came back...cool.

I have taken my blaze babe through normal. She is now level 40.

Blaze at level 20 lasts a loooong time, and does a lot of damage. When you stack it 3 or 4 times, it really works well.

My gear is mostly junk except for my +3 blaze "Leaf" staff. This gives a total of +6 to blaze. I decided not to go for blocking, and after finding a 2 socket +3 blaze staff, I figured it would be hard to beat a leaf staff.

Parts of normal were a bit challenging. Anything that won't chase you is a pain. I developed different tactics to deal with these situations.

One of the most important of these is a wand with charges of terror. I lay down a blaze trap, tp behind the mob, and cast terror on him, forcing him to run through the fire patch. This works especially well with the greater mummies in act2.

I gave up on my merc early in act1 and have never looked back. I can see that an act3 merc may have merit. I might try a lightning one.

I learned a lot about game AI playing this char. Between tactics and terror I can make almost anything move or chase me. Sirians wonderful tactical guide still applies when using blaze.

Fastest run/walk is important, but can be over done.

My secondary skill is Chain Lightning. It's just starting to have enough horsepower to be useful.

Act bosses were not difficult. Andy is a bigtime chaser, as is Duriel. Diablo will chase a bit and I found him predictable. Meph and Baal were actually the toughest. Meph didn't seem to chase predictably. I finally got him, but he did own me twice. Baal doesn't chase at all, he teleports. Trying to figure out where he would land was a pain (he owned me twice too). I think I've got them figured out for our next encounter though.

This is absolutely not an uber charactor. It is, however, extreemly fun, and so far very viable.

18. Salo

Salo IncGamers Member

i duno what would be a fitting 2nd skill to use with her.... hm.

im thinking this could compliment a Titan build really well, or that type. two handed, sick swingin', maybe some laying on of hands for baal/dlo.

gear intensive, but intense action :D

not a click fest thats for sure.
    stupid mofo'in reviews on this game. its really a complicated game, just we been playing it for like 4-5 years, plus d1 was hard and put me through the ropes (labor of getting to 40th+ was huge, and double immunes and 3x immunes made things cool)

19. Salo

Salo IncGamers Member

darnit. this build rox. well, my build is anyways. im doing fire/heavy titan melee.

"what if its fire immune?" well, i beat it down with like 500% ed. moan or more if its a demon.

lol. i like it. and, if you played d1, you remember how slow hit recovery was, even for warriors. so getting a little of course is needed, but playstyle is just more cautious.

im thinking delirium on my merc, a might one. eventually. only level 13 right now, has polearm and goes mad with death glov and belt on.

20. jiansonz

After more than a year of being too scared to move on, I picked up my wacky untwinked, 'full clear once' Blaze Enchantress again. You can read about the last half of the final act in this thread.

An expert on Near Death Events (I´ve lost count, they are easily more than 30!), but she has prevailed. Yesterday evening, I had one of my best playing sessions ever when Blazie made Guardian.