Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Blair, Bush ratted out yet again

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by IDupedInMyPants, Apr 5, 2004.

1. IDupedInMyPants

IDupedInMyPants Banned

Blair, Bush ratted out yet again

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/iraq/story/0,12239,1185437,00.html

Some highlights include:

"President George Bush first asked Tony Blair to support the removal of Saddam Hussein from power at a private White House dinner nine days after the terror attacks of 11 September, 2001."

"The Vanity Fair article will provide further ammunition in the shape of extracts from the private, contemporaneous diary kept by the former International Development Secretary, Clare Short, throughout the months leading up to the war. This reveals how, during the summer of 2002, when Blair and his closest advisers were mounting an intense diplomatic campaign to persuade Bush to agree to seek United Nations support over Iraq, and promising British support for military action in return, Blair apparently concealed his actions from his Cabinet."

"In fact, that week Blair's foreign policy adviser, Sir David Manning, was in Washington, meeting both Bush and his National Security Adviser, Condoleezza Rice, in order to press Blair's terms for military support, and Blair himself had written a personal memorandum to the President in which he set them out."

"As late as 9 September, Short's diary records, when Blair went to a summit with Bush and Cheney at Camp David in order to discuss final details, 'T[ony] B[lair] gave me assurances when I asked for Iraq to be discussed at Cabinet that no decision [had been] made and [was] not imminent.' Later that day she learnt from the Chancellor, Gordon Brown, that Blair had asked to make 20,000 British troops available in the Gulf."

How much more has to be revealed before we all have no choice but to accept that the decision was made far in advance of any justification?

2. MinasMorgul

MinasMorgul IncGamers Member

This dosent surprise me in the least. But im staying away from the Iraq war because it gives me a headache to even think about it. All i can hope for is that Bush dosent get re-elected.

BTW: many including I always believed that Bush was just finishing Daddy's job

3. Underseer

Underseer IncGamers Member

I can already predict the conservative response:

• Sir Meyer is just seeking publicity.
    • Sir Meyer is partisan.
    • Sir Meyer wears women's underwear
    • Sir Meyer just wants to sell a book.

4. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Don't forget

• Sir Meyer is a weiner

Tee hee, but I think you mean David Manning, Blair's foreign policy dude.

5. Underseer

Underseer IncGamers Member

Hey, one character assassination at a time! Former ambassador Meyer was cited first. :D