Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Blade shield

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by ChoboEvol, Feb 1, 2004.

1. ChoboEvol

ChoboEvol IncGamers Member

Blade shield

Hi!

Im making a kciker and aim thinking of putting 1 in blade shield....is this a good idea?...and do blade shield get venom?.....

thx

2. Anidem

Anidem Banned

Supposedly it does but I say "I'll believe it when I hack into the files and see the code."

3. lextalionis

lextalionis IncGamers Member

The timer on BS is much like the timer on a Paladin's Holy Shield, so without a few points in it or some +all skills it may not be worth it. Second you can save the skill points and get it on claw and cast it prior to leaving town. Or have it on your weapon switch with some +Shadow or +Traps claws on your Weapon Switch. Because it really is a tiny amount of damage for all the prerequisite points you'll spend to get it. Maxing it would be insane since it gets almost no bonus damage, but the mana per cast goes up considerably.
    BS also has an AR factor of some sort, it also has some sort of delaying factor only allowing it to hit every so often, I think once a second.

With all those many weaknesses, the skill still can provide a little more damage in melee situation that is cast and forget. So choice is to you. Most people don't worry over it.

4. kardinaal

kardinaal IncGamers Member

With all those many weaknesses, the skill still can provide a little more damage in melee situation that is cast and forget. So choice is to you. Most people don't worry over it.

Blade Shield is no longer that useless now. It leeches, it does 1/4 of your normal attack damage on the blades (physical AND elemental), and also Deadly Strike. Cold duration is also 1/4.

I think it's especially nice for chilling (stack cold durations) with a MA assassin, and also getting you nice leech (1/4 weapon damage for every monster in range is still a lot of leech), and mass distribution of poison (venom).

5. lextalionis

lextalionis IncGamers Member

I agree. It is nice for the cold duration of all creatures around you: but here are some of the weakness:

WIth chill time reduced by 1/4 of already piddly time you have to stack a lot of cold sources for this to be really all that great and that can limit/impair the equipment you choose.

Second BS isn't an automatic hit. Its tough to hit. I recomend using it with CoS. Evidently CM doesn't help its AR.

Third, Blade Shield is a level 30 skill with four prerequisites. Most melee builds will not be investing heavily in traps, so these are lots of wasted skill points.

Last to be clear, it doesn't pass all of your venom damage either, it passes 1/4 of your venom damage, that's probably pretty small amount of damage, especially when you remember the resists of creatures in Hell.

It was great in 1.09 when you could build blenders that would use CB and Freezing mods to kill things. It had autohit, it could be recast to hit very quickly and worked like a modified static and frozen spike-nova. All by itself. That was useful.

Now, I'm not saying it isn't useful. It is a little, and just a little more damage. But I am saying that there's a real cost benefit analysis as to whether BS is "useful" or maybe the better word is "economical", and I lean towards no its not unless you have a lot of skill points just sitting around. Most Assassins wouldn't have extra skill points laying around, because there are almost always "more useful" skills to put points into.

If I had it for free on a +3 Shadow claw, then I'd cast it all the time. But I don't know if I'd waste my hard earned skill points on it.

6. Crazy Person

Crazy Person Banned

I use it on all my sins for pvp, at base level 1. with +skills it lasts about a minute.

you would end up just not using it for pvm because you would have to re cast it every minute.

7. chaos9

chaos9 IncGamers Member

So, would you recommend it for pvp. Even though the damage is slight, the chances to spread venom, open wounds, etc. sounds great.

8. Lunatic

Lunatic IncGamers Member

I guess it's more or less a 1 point wonder. Do keep in mind there's a small chance that both your normal attack (WW , kicks or whatever you use) and blade shield apply venom. If blade shield applies venom alittle later then your other attack , your venom dmg will be 1/4. Which is a shame if you ask me.

You chance to cast OW gets better with it , so I guess it cancels eachother out really.