Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Blade Fury

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by Destructioneer, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Destructioneer

Destructioneer IncGamers Member

Blade Fury

Is a build based around Blade Fury and venom viable? Max the venom, and then 1 in fury. Then put 20 or so in tiger strike and dragon tail for close-combat, does this build work in higer difficulties. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

2. GenXCub

GenXCub IncGamers Member

I've never tried BF with a melee build. My BF Sin is a Fire Trapper. But I don't see why you couldn't. I'd try for another element as well, perhaps claws of Thunder?

3. Frankeinstein

Frankeinstein IncGamers Member

Yes I have a lvl 84 BFsin. There is a guide posted that wiil help alot.
    The build is very item dependent. but combinations of items is what makes it fun. Its kinda like an erector set (I guess I'm showing my age again). Anyway once you get past the skilltree setup, its up to the gear you choose to use. Best part is you need to depend on claws for good results. :thumbsup:

the build uses some very non traditional gear a assy would not normally use.
    You will need some help in the upper levels of Hell difficulty. going solo is not easy & you may die alot but the fun is trying out new gear & see if it works for you.

My assy has 2 sets of armor/weapons... 1 for killing & survival, & 1 set for MF runs (pitt runs)

Check the guide, lots of answers & theory there. best of all have fun with it :clap:

4. Frankeinstein

Frankeinstein IncGamers Member

Yes I have a lvl 84 BFsin. There is a guide posted that wiil help alot.
    The build is very item dependent. but combinations of items is what makes it fun. Its kinda like an erector set (I guess I'm showing my age again). Anyway once you get past the skilltree setup, its up to the gear you choose to use. Best part is you don't need to depend on claws for good results. :thumbsup:

the build uses some very non traditional gear a assy would not normally use.
    You will need some help in the upper levels of Hell difficulty. going solo is not easy & you may die alot but the fun is trying out new gear & see if it works for you.
    My assy has 2 sets of armor/weapons... 1 for killing & survival, & 1 set for MF runs (pitt runs)

My assy uses:
    Rattlecage
    nats helm
    goreriders
    hwannins belt
    rare +1 assy gloves
    thorn shileld
    raven frost
    rare LL ring w/ resists
    rare +1 assy ammy w/ resists
    gimmershred
    demon limb

MF set:
    ryhme shield
    goldwrap
    chance guards
    wealth archon plate
    2 +mf rings
    1 + mf amy
    war travelers
    ali baba
    (i have about 390% mf now) & still have 35-75% resists w/ fade on

I can walk thru hell pitt runs no problem.

I also use a NM act 2 holy freeze merc, he uses Honor lance, eth crown of thievs, coursemourn (btw he has 19% life leech)

Check the guide, lots of answers & theory there. best of all have fun with it :clap:

5. lextalionis

lextalionis IncGamers Member

Tiger Striek should only be used with Dragon Tail,and I don't recommend that as a Blade Fury hybrid.

You need to really think of a blade fury assassin as more like a bowazon that doesn't need arrows or bolts. There are some weakness, but also so advantages. Read the guide. See if you like it.

6. weylun

weylun IncGamers Member

I have some questions.

If I remember correctly, BF applies Deadly Strike (chance to double the damage) and Crushing Blow. As for CB, does it suffer from long-range penalties? I don't think it is since it is somehow treated as a "melee" type of damage. Can you confirm this for me? I know for range CB, you suffer a lot.

Right now, I only know I want to max Venom. Should I max. Shadow Master for the fun of it? lol

Well, BF build is not a fast killing build but can somebody give me some damage numbers? I like the idea of using Grimmershed...that throwing axe has tons of elemental damage and it's a good solution for PI monsters. The biggest problem I have is AR and I hate using Angelic set just for AR. I would rather use a Raven frost and some nice LL and Mana leech ring.

Anyway, if possible, please give me some numbers. Like what's your damage and so on. I've tried it before and it seems like maxing Claw Mastery does increase the damage of the blade skills and Strength increases damage too. But then the question is would you waste 20 pts into Claw Mastery or you should just use one of the traps for more variety of damage. lol The truth is once you start putting points into traps, you WILL NOT want to stop using them and it might take away the FUN of using BF. lol

Jimmy

7. lextalionis

Jimmy,

The bonuses for CM are available. Look at them, they aren't that big. The AR bonus, isn't large per level and neither is damage, especially when you are factoring in the ranged penalty. Now that being said. More damage is a good thing and at 8 frames per attack you are attacking faster than any Crossbow can fire.

As for traps, yes. If you are going for the maxx damage, then go for traps. I can certainly see a level B damage system of traps being done. B not A, because you will be investing heavily in equipment useful for BF and this will reduce the number of +skill items you'll be wearing, thus lowering your damage.

The question for you about traps is going to be about style. I never tell people to hold back on damage, because I normally play with terrible to moderate equipment and generally rely on my skill points for damage. So I see no dishonor in going the trap route.

I think if you go this way, BF becomes a great suppliment to your trapper. I think BF has always been a great suppliment to a trapper and an option available to them instead of spamming Fire Blasts, they can spam BF in between laying trap fields. I think the first few hits of anything with Crushing Blow are enormous sources of damage, but after the first few hits, your traps will be doing the killing. I think this would be a way fun build, but its going to take away from the point of you using BF, at the very least a little.

Now if you decide for style reasons not to go with traps, then I think it becomes an easier choice to max Claw Mastery, because what else are you going to put points into? Venom, Shadow Master, Fade, then Claw Mastery is the only other skill that will up your damage. Claw Mastery is also kinda like icing on the cake, because it may allow you to switch out an item in your build away from AR equipment to more defensive or more offensive minded equipment.

8. weylun

weylun IncGamers Member

Hi there. Oh, I've tried MANY assassins already and now it's the point that I am building for FUN..not for overpower killing. Fire Blast + Traps are the best combo so far. Highly viable and deadly.

I asked about Claw Mastery is that I want some real numbers. Like what's your damage per blade with max. Venom? If you have, can you give me some rough numbers. I am just curious and I want to know if CB works as "melee" on BF or as "range". If it's as "range", then I'll drop CB since it's almost useless in Hell. Actually, CB is useless in +4 player games anyway. lol

Well, maxing Claw Mastery has a few problems. You are limited to Claw weapon only which is not really good unless you can find some godly claws. And two-hand definitely sucks with BF.

I am a strong believer in Weapon Block. It's very useless in the end since it blocks almost anything. So, I may go for dual claw and boost up my Venom damage a little. lol

The question is should I max BF for that pathetic 150ish physical damage? lol Has anybody done it?

Like I said, Traps are high addictive. I built a BF sin with traps and I realize that I use traps a lot more than BF. lol That is why I am trying to stay away from Traps even though a few points into Death Sentry never hurts!!

Jimmy

9. lextalionis

Here are your numbers for Claw Mastery. I'm not sure what claws you are talking about. But the damage is going to be low. And this won't much make any difference.

Current Skill Level: 1
    Damage: +35 percent
    Attack: +30 percent
    3 Percent Chance of Critical Strike

Current Skill Level: 20
    Damage: +111 percent
    Attack: +220 percent
    21 Percent Chance of Critical Strike

Current Skill Level: 30
    Damage: +151 percent
    Attack: +320 percent
    22 Percent Chance of Critical Strike

10. GenXCub

GenXCub IncGamers Member

I personally think the best weapon for a BF sin would be a Crescent Moon Small Crescent Axe. It has lower reqs and higher damage than a berserker axe. Good damage + Ignores Target Defense. Build it around a Crushing Blow build.

11. weylun

weylun IncGamers Member

Oh...when I say numbers, I mean I want to know what is your BF damage in the end. Like with max Venom, weapon, and whatever charms you have in your inventory. Can your damage go above 2000 per BF?

The good thing about BF is that you can use an etheral one. It won't wear down the durability so if you are lucky enough to find a good etheral claw or whatever weapon you can find.

Jimmy

12. GenXCub

GenXCub IncGamers Member

I think if you use an Upgraded Ethereal Headstriker with maxed venom, you should be able to easily get over 2k per blade. The Deadly Strike can really help out in that area. AR would be an issue using that sword though.

At level 66 (it would have a requirement of lvl 65), without anything socketed, it would have 99% Deadly Strike, it would do 138 - 265 damage. Deadly strike would affect any other non-elemental damage mods you have on. A High Strength would probably be needed as well.

13. weylun

weylun IncGamers Member

Wow, an Upgraded Etheral Headstriker. That sounds nice. I had a charge pally who was using an upgraded headstriker.

Anyway, so Deadly Strike works well with BF right? mmm...interesting. Yeah, AR is the only issue I worry about when not using a claw or no IGD on it. But I think an Eth works fine.

So, do you have problem killing things in Hell? Do you use a lot of elemental charms to boost up the damage?

Jimmy

14. Tanatus

Tanatus IncGamers Member

There is a great guid how to build furysin above, I have myself furysin with main attack as blade fury - I can solo easy hell, I can solo my way to Baal with 8 players game too .... not very fast but safe.
    Generally furysins build around a) high damage 1 hand weapons b) special attack assosiated with weapon - like crushing blow or/and deadly strike, static field, prevent monsters to heal, - monsters defence, open wounds (best weapon against those pesky PI monsters) c) massive elemetal damage (from weapons, from venom, from charms/armor) and d) safety that comes from assasin shadow tree - like shadow master, cloak of shadow and fade
    I dont want to repost weapon choice but in order it wil be
    Stormlash - 1-473 lighting damage, static feild proc, 33% crushing blow
    Creshent moon - eth mythical or cryptic swords or eth small cresent or berserker axe... Bear in mind blady fury do NOT use duralubility
    Chaos claws
    Bear in mind damage from blade fury comes mainly from 3/4 of damage of weapon not fury itself as well as CB, OpenWounds and Deadly strike
    About complemetary skill I'd go with some traps - using MA in conjuction with BF kinda kill the purpose of BF (ranged combat).
    I have lvl 85 BF shadowfury clone that solo hell .... any act w/o any problem including baal and minions skills are (w/o gear)
    20SM
    20Vendom
    20Fade
    8Cloak of Shadow (and it will go up more)
    10 DS (dont need more actually this lvl is good enouth to copse explosion purpose)
    1 Mindblast
    Zero points in MA
    Only pre-req for BF and DS in trap tree
    Gear is
    Helm Guilluame face (best choice cb/deadly strike/FHR)
    Ammulet - highlord (deadly strike, +1 skills)
    Rings -raven frost (atk, cold absorb, cant be frozen) and crafted blood ring with +110atk+5%to attack+some resistances+3LL+mana
    Weapon - Stormlash socketed with Mal (prevent monsters to heal)
    Armor - Nal armor with 2OS (+2 shadow tree, -75% poison duration, poison resist, a lot life)
    Boots - gore riders - again godly choice (cb/deadly strike/open wounds, 30% faster run)
    Belt - string of ears - 15%PDR, 8%LL
    Gloves - soul drainers again godly choice - its proc weaken on attack, and have dual leach mana/life
    Shield - 2 pdiamonded mosers circle (will upgrade into SS once I get it)
    Stats - str enouth to equip gore riders
    Energy - base
    Dextr - enouth to have maximum block
    Vita - all leftover

15. weylun

weylun IncGamers Member

Thanx for the reply. I did read about the guide but I want some "actual damage numbers". Like how much damage per hit. I built one BF sin before in beta and she was really fine until Hell when her Venom doesn't seem to do enough damage at all. But then I didn't have godly items at that time.

Stormlash...oh my, I could never trade one. Not too many people know what I mean!!! Stormlash is certainly one of the best weapons in the game and it's also one of the rarest since it shares the same base with Horizon.

Cresent Moon is nice. ITD and Static Field are awesome attritubes to have. :)

Too bad we can't craft a Cresent Moon out of a claw...sigh. I've always prefered dual claw for more +skills and Weapon Block. Oh well.

Jimmy

16. jantia

jantia Banned

Is venom even useful for anyother build tho? would it fit with a dtail or dtalon/ts build [dual claw and untwinked] to make it a viable choice for my sin to kill with it in hell?

17. weylun

weylun IncGamers Member

Venom usually works the best with Blade Fury because of that 0.4 second timer. It works perfectly with BF but not with Dragon Claw or Dragon Talon because you are going to reset all the time especially with DT.

If you want some sorts of elemental damage, go for traps. If you think it's overpowered, go for one type of elemental claw. Lightning works the best without any synergies in my opinion. But fire is good too. Blade of Ice has a bit low damage but you can freezen...which is the trade off. Or, simply Phenoix Strike if you want.

In Hell, traps are the most viable build simply because you can just cast and run away. With enough synergies, traps can really kill fast...when I say traps, I mean Lightning Sentry. Some say Charged Bolts can be good but it's only good against one target since it can't pierce. Death Sentry will be your best friend. :)

If you are going for dual claw sin, try to get a Nats Set. It's pretty good now with that 30% damage reduction. I made a total Dragon Claw sin with max. Blade Shield. She was fun to play with. Blade Shield is better than what I expected but still weak... mainly because it has low damage and it has attack rating check which I don't understand why!!! I will not complain much if it hits all the time...but sadly, it doesn't.

Jimmy

18. GenXCub

GenXCub IncGamers Member

Remember, if you use Venom, remove all of your other poison gear. Since Venom reduces all other poison sources' duration to .4 seconds, it makes their total damage kinda suck.

My BF Trapper uses the crushing blow gear setup (which kinda means your +skills suffer).
    She's Hardcore lvl 75 currently

Guillaume's Face
    Safety Crafted Amulet with +blocking and +1 skill
    Eth Hexfire or Crescent Moon Small Crescent (I'm a fire trapper so the +3 fire skills is great on the hexfire)
    Mosers blessed Circle with 2 PD.
    Rattlecage (Monsters Flee is a GREAT mod for a BF sin, but It would have gone even better if I was a LS trapper)
    Blood Gloves with 10% CB and Dual Leech
    Mavina's Belt for the Mana leech and faster run (I use fade).
    Goblin Toe boots
    Raven Frost / Manald Heal rings

That comes to 95% Crushing Blow. With fade in hell, my resists aren't maxed, but you really don't need them to be. Between my Cloak of Shadows and Mindblast, monsters don't really hit me.

19. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

I've still been Pitting for that Um or Ist to make Crescent Moon or Delerium. In the meantime, Angel_Veil is ** HCL, and is essentially untwinked. About the only thing I didn't find was the gloves for my Disciple set (the poison damage and holy bolt of this is a waste on my build).

So yes, Venom is a useable skill, even in Hell. However, it might have been more worthwhile to boost synergies to LS and DS with the points; my fade isn't at max and neither is my DS. 550 or so damage per blade is pretty decent, but it don't take down da big guyse.

I notice mentions of Headstriker, Hwanin's belt, Mavina's belt, and Soul Drainers as being portions of people's builds - I am starting to wonder if I'm barking up the wrong tree item-wise, since my set takes so many slots... still, +3 skills and 50% res is kinda nice.

20. Tanatus

Tanatus IncGamers Member

Just word of warning about monsters flee from "shadow" furysin
    Once monster fled in hell they WILL heal self very fast so if you want relay on fury as a main attack avoid monsters flee as much as possible unless you can get "prevent monsters to heal" anywhere on your gear...
    Second thing about Venom ... altouth it stated XXX damage over 0.4s (~400 at slvl23) skill work pretty much same way like Blizzard or Meteor - you cannt do 2 sequential hits with this faster then with 1s delay. In other words you need at least 1.8s to get 2 hit and 1.4s for every next (0.4s+1s+0.4s+1s+0.4s ....).
    Lastly bear in mind that you wont have very high atk rating (my DC/DS assasion have 14k atk with maxed CM) so plently of blades will miss and you will need a lot +atk gear (so 3/20/20 sc come very handly ... )