Blade Fury Assasin

Ritslev

Diabloii.Net Member
While I can see Fleshripper being a better choice for a trapper..

I have to admit I still see level 19 BF as a waste of points. they would do a lot better use in your synergies for your traps.

(mho of course)

lextalionis

Diabloii.Net Member
Ritslev said:
While I can see Fleshripper being a better choice for a trapper..

I have to admit I still see level 19 BF as a waste of points. they would do a lot better use in your synergies for your traps.

(mho of course)
He only has one point in BF. He has +18 traps skills. Probably +3 Circlet, +3 Traps Amulet, lots of +Trap charms. That's whay he has +18 to trap skills. He hasn't wasted any points.

Boooyakasha

Diabloii.Net Member
Has anyone consider the Baranar? The AR bonus is huge and the elementals damage is just sweet for the rapid BFury attacks. With a Lower Resist wand on switch the damage can be really huge.

lextalionis

Diabloii.Net Member
Boooyakasha said:
Has anyone consider the Baranar? The AR bonus is huge and the elementals damage is just sweet for the rapid BFury attacks. With a Lower Resist wand on switch the damage can be really huge.
You can still probably find something better, like a FAMINE Berserker Axe. Either way, elemntal damage would be slow killing, especially in hell. Because factor in the ranged penaly from BF, then the global resists, good possiblity that the creature will be immune to at least one of the elements. Good luck, if you are counting on the elemental damage to do kill. Notice FAMINE also has PMH. I will grant you that Baranars does solve the AR problem. But you still have to kil things.

Famine 4 Socketed Axes/Hammers Fal + Ohm + Ort + Jah +30% Increased Attack Speed
+320-370% Enhanced Damage (varies)
Ignore Target's Defense
Adds 180-200 Magic Damage
Adds 50-200 Fire Damage
Adds 51-250 Lightning Damage
Adds 50-200 Cold Damage
12% Life Stolen Per Hit
Prevent Monster Heal
+10 To Strength

Baranar's Star
Devil Star
One-Hand Damage: 129 To 159 (144 Avg)
Required Level: 65
Required Strength: 153
Required Dexterity: 44
Durability: 172
Base Weapon Speed: [10]
+200% Enhanced Damage
+50% Damage To Undead
Adds 1-200 Fire Damage
Adds 1-200 Lightning Damage
Adds 1-200 Cold Damage
50% Increased Attack Speed
200% Bonus To Attack Rating
+15 To Dexterity
+15 To Strength
(Only Spawns In Patch 1.09 or later)

Ritslev

Diabloii.Net Member
Lex explains it pretty well..

Don't though ignore Gimmershred.. It gives more damage than Baranars..

In hell though these weapons just don't cut it. The elemental damage is nice but it's not only the elemental damage which makes this build work. The elemental damage is part of it. I large part granted but the other stats provided in this guide are equally as important.

Uzziah

Diabloii.Net Member
Frenzied Bovine said:
I think Chaos would make a great Blade Fury weapon - if it were achievable.

Just mucking around in the beta, the Orb went off a LOT, the magic damage was pretty nasty, and the Open Wounds was just plain fun to have.

FO at slvl 11 = 141-156 dam
FO at slvl 20 = 262-267 dam

Of course a good sorc will have a fair whack of +skills :) But still, half damage orbs aren't bad, esepcially given that you have a 9% chance of firing one off every six frames.

Never disregard Open Wounds :)
I added blade fury with a Chaos claw to a DS trapper build and it worked quite well in slowing monsters for the traps to go off. the biggest problem I saw with it was that the monsters had a high chance of shattering and not leaving a corpse. It was fun watching lvl 9 CB and lvl 11 FO going off with blades flying between and a DS going off. Makes for a full screen of spells though.

amphreded

Diabloii.Net Member
Ritslev said:
Lex explains it pretty well..

Don't though ignore Gimmershred.. It gives more damage than Baranars..

In hell though these weapons just don't cut it. The elemental damage is nice but it's not only the elemental damage which makes this build work. The elemental damage is part of it. I large part granted but the other stats provided in this guide are equally as important.

agree. im using a 206% gimmershred for my furysin (lvl 78) and it's good so far

Ritslev

Diabloii.Net Member
Claws and mods

Claws ...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pros :
Great speed for the initial casting sequence.
Great mods such as :
- ITD
- Elemental Damage
- Chance to Cast ... xxx
Benefits from Claw Mastery (Though since there is only placed 1 point into this skill one would ahve to rework the skill tree to boost this, this is duable, but I personally think at a heavy price, the damage gained from max claw mastery just isn't that good after the 3/4 damaga reduction)
Looks cool.
Most have some sort of Leech.
Cons :
Lack the extremely useful stat : Static

(Would love it if Cresent Moon could be made on a Claw for example, MHO is that there are too few Claw Rune words. Yes you have all melee rune words such as : Fury, Malice, Strength and in the high end Chaos.)
While people will look at these lists and say, Hey the Pros are larger than the cons.. it's which con is listed that makes a difference.

I agree AR is a pain in the *BEEEP* so having Claw mastery helps, but there are ways around it.
I agree claws can do more damage than most other weapons, but not all that much once you factor in the 3/4 deduction.
I agree claws are just so damn cool that it's a shame for an assasin not to use it.

Problem is... as much as I agree I hate to admit it that the stat 'static' just... makes or breaks this build (NOTE : WHEN PLAYING IN 8 PLAYER GAMES).

In solo yes I'd use a claw or another cool assa weapon but in multiplayer... hands down claws loose every time, and every argument present to me has so far reassure me in that oppinion.

Anyone feel different or agree with a twist I'd like to hear about it.

BIGeyedBUG

Diabloii.Net Member
I hate to, but I have to agree. At least--like you said--in high playercount games. Chaos and Fury are the only possibilities in claws that even come close to being as functional as a Cresent Moon or Stormlash. And neither of the former is cheap.

What's especially irritating to me is that even a level 30 Claw Mastery doesn't take care of the AR problem on its own. You still have to look for -def, ITD, and/or other AR sources. :grrr:

Great thread, by the way.

edit- One quibble: I really don't think anything affects the speed of either blade rate or initial animation of BF. Yet another strike against claws, I guess.

Ritslev

Diabloii.Net Member
Gear in General

While rereading this thread I've noticed how much people focus on the weapon of the build. That is kinda a shame. While -yes- the weapon is critical to making this build work it's not the sole item which makes or breaks this build.

The benefit of this whole build is also the skills. You don't need 30 in Venom. You don't need 30 in Fade, nor fo you even need 30 in Shadow Master.

All you need (if we are really serious here) :
Blade Fury 1
Death Sentry 1

This whole build is made up through gear. Seriously.

You can't make this build work on skills alone. You can't break it through using different skills. If you look at it you need 8 skill points and you're off the bat and ready to go.

8 skill points.

Think about it. That leaves you with 102 skill points to distribute as you fell like. that in itself is quite amasing for any build. I doubt any other build will with so few skill points reak so large damage.

So with this in mind the gear selected for this build has to be choosen -very- carefully.

The stats which gives this build its benefits are :
Static
Crushing Blow
Open Wounds
Critical/Deadly Strike
Damage Reduction
Elemental Damage

These stats are so common (yeah I do see them as common ALL EXCEPT STATIC of course)... so common that you will find them on so much varied gear that the search and testing and trying out this gear is part of the fun playing it.

While I feel we have debated weapon on this thread a good idea would be to also debate the other choices I've made. So I'll list them once more :

Helmet : Guilluames Face – (35% crushing blow, 15% deadly strike, 30% faster hit recovery and +15 strength)
Armor : Rattle Cage (Upgraded ) – (25% crushing blow and 40% to cause monster to Flee)
Amulet : Atmas Scarab - (5% chance to cast Amplify Damage and some Attack Rating as well as a little poison damage)
Boots : Gore Riders (15% crushing blow, 15% deadly strike, 10% open wounds and 30% faster walk/run)
Gloves : Soul Drainers (4-7% mana and life leech, -50 monster def. per. hit. and 8% chance to cast Weaken.
Rings : Raven Frost (Cannot be Frozen, Attack rating and Cold Damage) Carrion Wind (life leech, 8% chance to cast Twister, Poison Resistance.)
Shield : Tiamats Rebuke (Elemental damage, Resistance)
Belt : Either String of Ears (Life Leech and Reduced Damage) or Siggards Stealth ( Slow and Life Leech)

There is no doubt this is my preferred gear..

Helmet : Is there any need to debate it? (hehe)

Amulet : Highlords Wrath instead and then go for more Critical Strike? Is it wirth giving up the Amplify Damage? Does the other effects trigger too often and then remove this benefit? Or does the effects this build do work togethers.. we have to see that the build cast 3 necro curses : Weaken, Amp Damage and Flee.

Raven Frost : If you ahve ITD do you really need the damage/added dex and AR? What other ring would work?

sawse

Diabloii.Net Member
Regarding Gear Choices

As a matter of personal choice I avoid any item that casts curses on stiking when playing assassins. Any curse will cancel out Cloak of Shadows which is imho one of the best skills in the game. It provides amazing crowd control improved defence, and most importanyly for this build, it lowers monster defence.

While you can achieve crowd control with Mind Blast, I think the defence lowering aspect makes Cloak of Shadows the priority curse for a Blade Fury Assassin.

So I wouldn't use Soul Drainers, Atma's Scarab, or Rattlecage.

Ritslev

Diabloii.Net Member
Arooo?

sawse said:
Any curse will cancel out Cloak of Shadows .....
I've not personally looked for this nor checked it but are you sure about that, and if so could you guide me to a referance page where I can read more about it. When I use CoS on the Souls and run to slay them with Fury I don't see them shooting at me even after Weaken for example is cast...

sawse

Diabloii.Net Member
I am sure about it, but I don't have a link for you. I know it from experience, though I have commented about it on this board and had others agree with me. If you want to test it, you could buy something with curse charges and go out into the blood moor. I first noticed it when I put Dracul's Grasp on my kick-a-sin who uses cos constantly. She very quickly was getting swarmed all of a sudden and I was like "wtf" (pardon my language).

xPkkilla

Diabloii.Net Member
Is Lionheart or Chains of Honor better for a FurySin that runs a lot of baal runs? Seems I'm getting very mixed signals from the character screen when trying both armors out. The damage seems to be about 1K higher if I use Lionheart, but if I remove it, the damage only goes down about 100 points. If I go into a game, it's about 1K lower. After I put Lionheart back on, and hit 'w' twice to switch to another weapon and back, the damage jumps back up there again. Has anyone else seen this?? Seems very buggy to me. Thanks for any help.

Just a thought to help with the ar.

Fleshripper
Fanged Knife
One-Hand Damage: (45-60) To (174-228) (108-144 Avg)
Required Level: 68
Required Strength: 42
Required Dexterity: 86
Durability: 36
Base Weapon Speed: [-20]
+200-300% Enhanced Damage (varies)
-50% Target Defense
25% Chance of Crushing Blow
33% Deadly Strike
50% Chance of Open Wounds
Prevent Monster Heal
Slows Target By 20%
(Spawns In 1.10 Patch Only)

The mods all seem to fit the build, it would have nice damage, and you could pump dex for damage and ar? Add in Eth rune and you would have -75%, which would help a lot too I would think.

I think I have a better build actually. (gear-wise)
20 death sent
20 fade
20 venom
20 shadow master
rest in blade fury
1 mb, 1 blade shield, blah blah

103 str
rest divided between dex and vita

gear -

Eth Fleshripper (Ber)
Guillamue's (Psn Facet)
Headhunter's (Psn Facets)
Chains of Honor Archon (Enigma could work, but the resists help)
Soul Drainers
Gore Rider's
Highlord's Wrath
Verdungo's
Raven Frosts
(103 str for the archon, then you can equip the rest, and guillamue's lets you equip Gore.

Gives 95% crushing blow, 95% deadly strike, 60% open wounds.
Fury damage is like 900-1800 or so.
45+ DR depending on fade level.
1.5k life
60%-ish block (45% base on headhunters), I'm assuming the AR is nice, and -50% targets defense + cloak of shadows helps.
It's pretty unstoppable PvM, mind blast a few, set a few
DS and then fury until you get some corpses, hell Diablo went down fairly quickly too.

moi

Diabloii.Net Member
my thoughts:
20 in fade is pretty useless; it has steep diminishing returns. less would free up skillpoints for other stuff.

your leveling guide leaves me slightly confused -- you seem to skip 90% of the game - do you mean play through all other areas once and then level in these areas? just confirming, it confuses me a little :(

Ritslev

Diabloii.Net Member
Your choices are really good. I don't disagree with your reasoning for the choices in gear except fro one..

Your weapon you choose to ignore the stat 'static' and while I can see your build working (having tried out a lot of the gear after reading your post) ... the lack of Static simply makes that part of the build not work .. for me at least.

The reasons U choose the Psn Facets are obvious, while I choose lightning...
Lightning is applied with every hit, and not over a period of time. My weapon of choice : Stormlash has high lightning damage. ..

A good supplement and I think your ideas are good.

Ritslev

Diabloii.Net Member
moi said:
my thoughts:
20 in fade is pretty useless; it has steep diminishing returns. less would free up skillpoints for other stuff.

your leveling guide leaves me slightly confused -- you seem to skip 90% of the game - do you mean play through all other areas once and then level in these areas? just confirming, it confuses me a little :(
:)

The 20 in fade does tie up a lot of skills... it's though needed for a few reasons I'll try to explain.

Speed : Isn't that important since BF is locked at a fixed speed, thus BoS is only useful for the W/R speed given. While this is nice it's not all that important.

Resistances : Having 65% resistance from Fade leave you the choice to choose gear that has no resistances or little resistnace, meaning U can even socket your tiems with other stuff than Um or 15% res all jewel or P Diamonds.

Hidden benefit : Fade has a Damage reduction = to it's level. No explenation needed.

If you though feel 19 points could be spend better.. feel free this is just a rough guideline (which I beleive I mention at one point or other)

I mean these are the areas where you most likely will end up playing. Not that you have to. Not that there aren't other places but that these are the places a large part of the Diablo II players choose to play in.

Lastly about my hole in the guide of 90%.... When there is a large hole it's cause : Choose the gear/way you feel you level fast and I won't complain. To me 90% of the game is level 60+. Not level 1-60. Low levels are fast and easy to come by. Not everyone feels this and for those I can only say that while my guide lacks this, you should be able to fill in the blanks.

My guide mentions which stats are important. Which low level gear is useful. Where you level and how you choose to level I leave open cause we each have different ways and ideas on how to level. I choose to direct most of my effort in the later part of the game cause that is where this build gets very hard to make work... Normal + Nightmare this works pratically with everything. Yeah you can even use your mother-in-law and throw her at the monsters and it'll work. Somethings work better than others but in general this is a simple 1 point wonder.

Hell is where this guide really starts... where U'll be able to start wearing the items I mention, but then again most won't argue with me when I claim that getting from level : 1-10 is easy and takes relatively short amount of time no matter what gear you use... compared to getting from level 85-86 with even elite gear (Yes I could be as extreme to say : level 89-90.. or 98-99 but there isn't a need... )

The guide isn't a written in stone work.

It's open to changes and suggestions. The only thing really written in stone (and yes it can be changed too) is the gear.. that is my whole point.. this build leaves you with the choice to let your gear talk instead of your skills.

moi

Diabloii.Net Member
>The 20 in fade does tie up a lot of skills... it's though needed for a few reasons I'll try to explain.

>Speed : Isn't that important since BF is locked at a fixed speed, thus BoS is only useful for the W/R speed given. While this is nice it's not all that important.

>Resistances : Having 65% resistance from Fade leave you the choice to choose gear that has no resistances or little resistnace, meaning U can even socket your tiems with other stuff than Um or 15% res all jewel or P Diamonds.

But say, you put only 10 points in fade. With no + to skills, that's 54 resist all instead of 64 resist all with 20. Is 10 more resist all really worth 10 skill points?

>Lastly about my hole in the guide of 90%.... When there is a large hole it's cause : Choose the gear/way you feel you level fast and I won't complain. To me 90% of the game is level 60+. Not level 1-60. Low levels are fast and easy to come by. Not everyone feels this and for those I can only say that while my guide lacks this, you should be able to fill in the blanks.

My question is mostly with hell. You leave NM baal at lvl 60 and then immediately start doing hell baal runs? You have 4 and a half acts to go through first, not to mention killing hell ancients at lvl 60 (good luck with that one).