Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Blade Fury Assasin

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by Ritslev, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Ritslev

Ritslev IncGamers Member

Blade Fury Assasin

1.1 - Introduktion
    1.2 - A few words on the Furysin

2.1 - Advantages
    2.2 - Disadvantages

3.1 - Open wounds
    3.2 - Deadly strike and critical strike
    3.3 - Crushing blow

4.1 – Attributes.
    4.2 – Gear.
    4.3 - Weapon of Choice.
    4.4 – Notes on gear.
    4.5 – Charms.
    4.6 - Gear socketing.

5.1 – Skills.
    5.2 – Martial Arts Tree.
    5.3 – Trap Tree.
    5.4 – Shadow Disciplines Tree.

6.1 - PvP.
    6.2 - PvM.
    6.3 - Leveling guide.
    6.3 - Leveling areas ideas
    6.4 - Merc

7.1 Conclusion

------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.1 Introduktion
    Greetings to all of those bitten by a made bug.
    I am an Assasin Enthusiast who, after a lot of remakes, have settled on creating the assassins which differ (a little) from the main stream. I play on the Europe Realm. I started out playing the Amazon but as soon as the Expansion came out I jumped to the Assasin and stuck with it ever since. The Sin is just so versatile that her arsenal can’t be beat by any other class (at least in my book).

Europe Realm : Acc : SonOfRa

1.2 A few words on the Furysin
    The following is a build concentrated around the use of the skill ‘Blade Fury’. It’s a loose guide on how you can make this build work in multi player games. It is however NOT viable in PvP (this will be explained later).

The build can be frustrating at times, if you’re a kill-on-one-hit kind of person, if you’re not, then this is the build to try. It is a build for a more experienced player and a build that will take some time to grow accustom to, as well as some specialized gear to acquire. Part of the fun in this build is the gathering of the items required, for you see some are easy to get, that you can get them for free.. others.. well yes I admit they are hard to get, anyways more on that later.. Once you have acquired what you feel is right then sit back and enjoy the ride.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

2.1 Advantages :
    Some of the advantages listed are :
    - Ranged combat.
    - Lots of Skills to chose from.
    - Unique fighting style.
    - Maximum attack speed from the first time you use it.
    - High Resistances.
    - Able to damage everything in the game, nothing is immune to you.
    - Different castings
    - 108% Chance for Crushing Blow
    - 30% chance of Open Wounds
    - 30% chance of Deadly Strike

2.2 Disadvantages :
    The disadvantages are :
    - One of the main problems : Attack Rating
    - Grounded when attacking.
    - Sucks in PvP.
    - Low blocking.

3.1 Open wounds
    Open wounds causes the player affected by it to loose life for a given amount of time, it works far better than poison as it can't be resisted. The only way to reduce the effect of open wounds is to use health potions or replenish life.

The player affected by open wounds loose life according to this formula

Duration: 200 frames (8 seconds - There are 25 frames per second).

Clvl 10: 11.8 per sec over 8 seconds for a total of 94.5 damage.
    Clvl 30: 42.6 per sec over 8 seconds for a total of 340.6 damage.
    Clvl 50: 99.7 per sec over 8 seconds for a total of 797.7 damage.
    Clvl 70: 178.8 per sec over 8 seconds for a total of 1430.5 damage.
    Clvl 90: 266.7 per sec over 8 seconds for a total of 2133.6 damage.

The damage is divided by 4 for a player target. In addition, for a missile versus a player target one should divide the damage by 8 instead. Versus bosses and champions (could be just bosses or special bosses) the damage is divided by 2

3.2 Deadly Strike and Critical Strike
    Deadly strike and critical strike both have a chance of triggering a double damage effect. The deadly strike effect is applied after all other damage bonuses. Critical strike and deadly strike exclude each other.

The formula of dealing double damage with deadly strike and critical strike is:

Chance of double damage = CS + (DS/100)*(100-CS)

3.3 Crushing blow
    This is a chance of reducing a monster's health by X% in a single blow.

Default: 25%
    vs. Players: 10%
    vs. Hirelings: 10%
    vs. Champions, Uniques, Bosses: 12.5%
    with missile weapons: 6.25%

4.1 Attributes :
    Your attributes should be fit to suit your gear. These are though the listed attributes for the gear I have selected to use. Feel free to move these figures around to suit the gear you choose.
    - Strength : 125
    - Dexterity : 75 (*)
    - Vitality : everything else
    - Energy : 25 (base)

(* - Dexterity is a touchy subject. I have chosen 75, in that I have also chosen to ignore dodge, this is mainly cause I use Tiamats and the dexterity needed to max dodge with this shield is just so high that I dropped it. Some may choose to use Storm Shield instead, forfeiting the damage that is their choice, its not needed. Since I have this low dexterity I also bind my hands on another matter… attack rating. With this build you –DO- need attack rating, so I have chosen to rely on the stat : Ignore Target Defence. This works fine till I meet bosses.. there I rely on the Enchant level 23 which Demon Limb supplies. It works.)

4.2 Gear :
    Gear is a very touch thing with this build, you will find that even one item will either make or break the build. I suggest highly that you either start out with trying to copy these items or at least find something that mimic them.

Helmet : Guilluames Face – (35% crushing blow, 15% deadly strike, 30% faster hit recovery and +15 strength)
    Armor : Rattle Cage (Upgraded (*)) – (25% crushing blow and 40% to cause monster to Flee) (**)
    Amulet : Atmas Scarab - (5% chance to cast Amplify Damage and some Attack Rating as well as a little poison damage)
    Boots : Gore Riders (15% crushing blow, 15% deadly strike, 10% open wounds and 30% faster walk/run)
    Gloves : Soul Drainers (4-7% mana and life leech, -50 monster def. per. hit. and 8% chance to cast Weaken.
    Rings : Raven Frost (Cannot be Frozen, Attack rating and Cold Damage) Carrion Wind (life leech, 8% chance to cast Twister, Poison Resistance.)
    Shield : Tiamats Rebuke (Elemental damage, Resistance)
    Belt : Either String of Ears (Life Leech and Reduced Damage) or Siggards Stealth ( Slow and Life Leech)
    Weapon : See 8.3

(* - These items can be upgrade in the Horadric Cube with the formula : Item + Tal + Shael + Perfect Diamond)
    (** - Some will find that Flee is annoying, in hell though the monsters don’t flee far and you won’t need to go running after them. It buys you a little time)

Some of the gear is just a MUST HAVE. Once you’ve tried the gear you’ll know almost immediately if it works or not.

4.3 Weapons of Choice
    There are really a lot of choices here but mainly look for weapons with % to crushing blow.

The weapon I have been using for a long time is : Ethereal Cryptic Sword with the Rune word Crescent Moon. It has all the stats you could ever dream of. Since Blade Fury DOES NOT use DURABILITY then Ethereal Weapons DO NOT need ZOD. I repeat, Blade Fury does not use durability contrary what ANYONE might say. This has been tested over a period of 2 months. Where the same weapon was used… and no it was not indestructible. This weapon has a potential damage of max : 330+ and the Static on it just makes it nicer. The lower enemy resist makes it even that much sweeter (see section : charms)

The chance to cast Static is ALSO something you’ll want to look for and if you want both there is only one weapon which will do the trick. Stormlash. This is my weapon of choice. The Stormlash I have socketed with JAH that makes this the most expensive part of this whole build. No you won’t get this item for free I can promise you that. I can though also promise you that once you’ve used it with the Blade Fury you’ll understand why it’s so great. It has to be seen to be believed.
    Stormlash has what is needed…

When you read this you will notice that it has a lot of lightning damage or effect on lightning damage. For this reason I have socketed my Guilluiames face and my Rattlecage Armor with : Lightning facets. You get a benefit from both the lower resist and more lightning damage. You get also 1-78 lightning damage more (of course penalty of ¾ still apply)

4.4 Notes on Gear
    As you may notice … I have totally ignored block. As I mention above I choose Tiamats, for the damage and low Dex requirement as well as the Resistances it provides. As for those whom wants to use Storm Shield, get the 137 dex needed and you’ll be fine there as well. Yes it’s worth it. With this gear you will find that you’re not in too bad a shape with damage reduction, simply cause Fade (which you’ll Max) will give you 20% damage reduction … if you use String (or Verdungos) that will most likely be 35% or close to it. So on top of probably having max resistances in hell you’ll also find that you can take a few hits… well ok a lot but that is that.

Things to remember is that almost anything works with blade Fury (ALMOST)… Here is a list :
    What works
    -Ignore Target Defense
    -Deadly Strike/Critical Strike from CM
    -Crushing Blow
    -Hit Causes Monster to Flee
    -Knockback
    -Chance to cast on Striking
    -Hit Freezes Target
    -Elemental Damage/Venom (3/4)
    -Leech
    -Open Wounds
    -Hit Blinds Target
    -Prevent Monster Heal
    -Hit Slows Target
    -Physical/Weapon Damage (3/4)

What doesn't work
    -Chance to cast on Attacking
    -Pierce Target

4.5 Charms
    A lot of things could be used with this build. All elemental damage is viable here. Damage is damage so why not just get what you can get. Well not quite.

Most people go for poison. Thinking wow, small charm .. 290 in damage.. NICE?… NOT!!.. 290 is over 10 seconds. That is 29 over 1 second. That is 13 over .4 of a second which is what venom will do to it. It will remove the long effect of the poison charm, and make it into something which only last 0.4 seconds.

Still a lot? Well compare that to : 1-40 small lightning charm and you know why I have ignored poison charms ….

Which all this said I have chosen to look at my gear and let that dictate what I should use. I choose Lightning Charms. Both Small (1-41) and Medium (1-81). They aren’t that expensive and are reasonable easy to get. You will do a lot of lightning damage, which will have lowered resist on it. 10% of it in fact if you’re really lucky with those facets. Yes you can survive without the facets but why not tweak your build if you got the cash for it.

4.6 Gear socketing.
    Subject to change… feel free to change what U want.

Weapon : Jah (unless it already has Ignore target Defence)
    Shield : Um
    Helmet : Lightning facet
    Armor : Lightning facet

While these things are all somewhat expensive the build can do without them (except the Jah of course) and you can use other things if you choose.

5.1 Skills :
    The following a is guide on how the skill tree should look once you’re done. The skills are a rough guide, but altering them a lot will also change the build quite a lot.
    5.2 Martial Arts Tree :
    - No points spend.

5.3 Trap Tree :
    - Fire Blast : 1
    - Shock Web : 1
    - Charged bolt Sentry : 1
    - Lightning Sentry : 1
    - Death Sentry : 20 (*)
    - Blade Sentinel : 1
    - Wake of Fire : 1
    - Blade Fury : 1 (**)
    -
    (* - Death Sentry is used for the Corpse Explotion, the reason it’s maxed is range .. it’s needed)
    (** - Blade fury will be your main skill it only needs 1 point to be effective for it is not the damage of the skill that makes this work it’s the ¾ weapons damage that is transferred which gives U the damage U need. When you have point the mentioned points into the skills here you will be close to level 86. At this point you are free to do what you choose, I have though preferred to use the remaining points on Blade Fury to squeeze just that extra bit of damage out of it.)

5.4 Shadow Disciplines Tree :
    - Claw Mastery : 1
    - Psyhic Blow : 1
    - Burst of Speed : 1
    - Fade : 20
    - Venom : 20 (*)
    - Cloak Of Shadows : 5 (**)
    - Mind Blast : 1
    - Weapon Block : 1
    - Shadow Warrior : 1
    - Shadow Master : 20

(* - Venom is a very useful skill due to the close to 300 more damage U get. Keep in mind that this build won’t be using poison charms since Venom kinda nerf their effect.. see under charms)
    (** - Cloak of Shadows… this skill is a one point wonder, just like Mind blast and is great for crowd control. The Souls stop shooting, and since you’re stationary when using blade fury this is highly usable. For me, 5 was what I choose U can settle on less, but the figure 5 just allowed me enough time … U may find it too long.. or too short.)

6.1 PvP
    PvP.. (sigh) this build isn’t viable in PvP, there are several reasons for this. I’ll list them for ease :
    - Attack rating - Ignore target defence does NOT work in PvP and the Enchant just doesn’t gives enough AR to make you deadly.
    - Speed – Opponents are faster than your blades and unlike guided arrow you shoot in a straight line. You will either have to shoot in front of them, in which case you rarely hit, or wait for them to get in close with you, in which case chances of you winning are small.
    - Movement – Your movement is limited greatly since blade fury makes you planted in the ground.

To make a long list short, you will be able to take out noobs… don’t count though on taking down anyone with just a little experience in PvP.

6.2 PvM
    This is what the build is all about. Uber Diablo? LOL You can solo him. Baal? Him too. Mephistos? (grins) jep him too. You’ll find that against uniques and bosses this build truly shows its worth. It’s fast, really fast. Against all other monsters, well this is the procedure.

Venom, Fade, Shadow Master… Then you’re set to go hunting. Meet a group of monsters and you Cloak of Shadow them, move back a little and start the fury of the blades. Spray your blades, and Weaken will be cast almost immediately. Concentrate fire and you’ll get a few fast bodies… then use Death Sentry to lighten the load of your Merc and your shadow Master. It’s quite amusing.

6.3 Leveling Guide.
    When you look at the equipment list you’ll find that it takes a few levels before you can start to wear the gear needed. My suggestion is though : What you can afford use that. There are though some traps you should avoid falling into.

Weapons :
    -Dual handed weapons- suffer a 3/8 penalty to damage instead of ¾ … So get a good one handed weapon, speed is irrelevant once you have the Blade Fury Skill.
    What to look for early on?
    Well a good weapon is a 6 socketed weapon with Perfect Gems in it. While this require a high level then find a weapon… with a –lot- of sockets, and use then the type of gem (chipped, flawless or perfect) which suits your level. The weapon will work fine for several levels. It’s relatively cheap too.
    Early on a Claw wouldn’t be a bad idea either since the Claw Mastery (1 point) you have will give you a little attack rating to boost.

Speed :
    IAS has no influence what so ever on Blade Fury, so neither does SLOW and COLD. Once the INITIAL animation of you casting the fury is done the blades will be coming out at a fixed rate.

A good tactic early in the game is to use blade sentinel, while going melee with the monsters. Start off with a sentinel.. enter melee… switch to a sentinel every now and then and you’ll find that you won’t be doing half bad.

The most fun is though when you meet up with a paladin who has Consentration or Conviction. Makes a world of difference really.

6.3 Leveling areas ideas :
    Level 1-14 : Act 1 mainly Dark woods.
    Level 15-20 : Act 2 mainly Arcane Sanctuary.
    Level 20-25 : Act 3 only Tranvical runs
    Level 25-40 : Act 5 only Baal runs.
    Level 40-60 : Act 5 NM Baal runs.
    Level 60+ : Act 5 Hell Baal runs.

As you can see once you hit a certain level, time to move on. Ignore how many times you die. If you level on the way NP, but get to where the XP is ASAP.

6.4 Merc.
    The Defensive Merc from Act 2 nightmare is the one to use. It has Holy Freeze which will greatly help out in crow control.

Gear for her would be a :
    Gaze
    Duriels Shell (Or the Hwanins Armor)
    Bonehew
    Not much else to be said really…

7.1 Conclusion
    Well that’s it.. Any and all suggestions made are of course welcome.

SonOfRa

2. sawse

sawse IncGamers Member

Hitting things

A serious issue with your plan is the use of "ignore target defence". This is the entry on the Arreat Summit for it:

Ignores Target Defense (Armor Class)
    This ability will not work on Unique Monsters, Super Unique Monsters, Hirelings, other players, and Act-end bosses.

Since the above exclusion covers the tough monsters I really think you need to talk about a way to deal with them. My preference is to use "-% monster defence". This can come on a weapon, from Eth runes, from Cloak of Shadows etc and works on ALL opponants. When you reach -100% the chance to hit is based on level comparison, thus it can completely solve the problem.

If people want to attack the problem from the angle of increased ar, then claw mastery can help, but it's bonus is far from gigantic. Lava gouts can make a big difference. I would strongly sugguest a few ar grand charms to give the % increase something more to work on.

3. Ritslev

Ritslev IncGamers Member

Attack Rating

There is no doubt, attack rating is an issue. If my guide failed to elaborate on this enough my apologies... I will though attempt to do so here.

Problem :
    Ignores Target Defense (Armor Class)
    This ability will not work on Unique Monsters, Super Unique Monsters, Hirelings, other players, and Act-end bosses.

Solutions :
    Before I get into details about this I'll adress your mentioning of Claws :
    First of all, you can pump Claw Mastery with 19 more points, and keep the dex at 75, and 'still' not have more attack rating than what the level 23 Enchant on Demon Limb supplies, remember U won't be using Enchant all the time only when meeting Uniques/Bosses etc. and that isn't that often even when you meet them that you'll need it (explained further later)
    More importantly : no claw can beat in damage the stats : crushing blow combined with Static. It's been tested and tried .. I went through 4 Blade Fury Sins before setteling on this build. The damage supplied with Claw Mastery just doesn't pay off the heavy investment, I'll even go as far as saying that it's better to max Blade Fury than Claw Mastery.

As I mentioned the gear was selected very carefully.

You suggest some solutions and while I can see their use they really aren't needed, the approach to monsters though has to be rather specific. While yes the Ancients aren't a walk in the park, they arne't invinsible. The build I've made works, and the reason it works is that the combination of items complement each other. I'll elaborate on this.

Sources of Attack rating :
    Raven Frost : possible 20 Dex and 238 attack rating.
    Atmas Scarab : +20% attack rating
    Soul Drainers : -50 defence per hit (not a lot but it's enough)
    Cloak of Shadows : level 5 with gear mentioned : -27% opponent defence.
    Demon Limb (Enchant level 23) : a lot of attack rating (enough needed)

You then mention Lava Gout. They are nice but the Enchant isn't high enough, not when you have the option of using Demon Limb. Removing Soul Drainers will also leave you with the need for Mana Leech and that will mean changing other gear. Lastly the Weaken on Soul Drainers just helps out immensely.

Charms are always helpful and people should feel free to get those... I personally found they aren't needed..

Booses and how to approach them :
    When meeting Uniques or Bosses you'll rarely find them solo. they are usually accompanied with a lot of hencemen/monsters. While it's annoying to have a bosses aura helping them. Having their attacks hit you. Your merc/shadow master it isn't all bad. For such groups, Mind Blast is a one point wonder. Turn the monsters against the boss. Get a lot of kills and then unleash Death Sentry. It will cut down the crowd and the boss enough to make you get the killing blows with the Fury.

When meeting monsters, champions for example, you'll have to rely solely on your attack rating and this is where I suggest instead of removing/chaing the gear I mention, you simply use your weapon switch and pop on level 23 Enchant.. then pop back to your normal weapon and there you got. Enchant at this high level will last you a 'very' long time, enough to kill any monster.. if not just reapply.
    Many will say : At what cost. ... well 1 charge does cost 10 k to repair.. no doubt that is a lot. THough why not use use all 20 charges and then use the Horadric Cube with the following Formula : Ort + Chipped Gem + Demon Limb ..... Zooooom : Fully recharged Demon Limb.

I don't deny that attack rating is an issue, but getting around that small issue means U have to be a little creative.

4. lextalionis

lextalionis IncGamers Member

Very good guide. Its amazing how much of a pain in the rear AR is with this build. I agree with the idea of throwing in a few AR charms into your stash. Its not like you will be using skill charms and they should be cheap. With a few of these your Atma's scarab will be more effective since it will have more of a base to work from.

The other thing to think about is that Zons get by with lots of points in Dex. Why can't an assassin put a few more points into Dex

5. sawse

sawse IncGamers Member

A few comments

Let me start by saying "good guide". It's very well presented (yay literacy!) and you obviously put a lot of thought into it. It fills a void we had, not only as a main build, but as a complementary skill for other archtypes. In my post above I didn't mean to come off like a know it all critic, I just thought that stuff deserved mention. I feel that a guide is stronger if it offers the reader choices in how to be successful.

As far as claws go, I agree and have always thought that they just don't compete with the other options for blade fury. Not if going for ar, not for dammage, and not for usefull mods. I only mentioned them because some prefer them because of weapon block or their coolness factor (which is as important a factor as any other really).

The Demon Limb does has some nice advantages. The enchant lasts 11.2 minutes, so it wouldn't have to be recast often, and 202% ar is nice also. Even the extra fire dammage is significant: 87-111 * 3/4= 65-83. Add this to the fire dammage normally present on the weapon and you have a way to (slowly) kill phys/lightning immunes.

When I mentioned Lava Gouts, it was with the thought of them being used in my alternative approach of ruduced monster defence. The ar they provide is only about half of what demon limb gives.

I'm a little skeptical that this set up has enough ar to hit the big boys in act 5 hell. When you say it works, is this in theory or have you played this set up all the way to matriarch? (I don't question your word, just wondering if we're sure that the ar charms aren't needed). If so, great because shadow charms could be used to great effect and help make up for the fact that we would not be using a pair of +3 shadow claws on switch as many people do.

I have a char that uses a purely crushing blow based BF. If I get a chance I'll post it here so you can have a look and see what you think of it. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on what I've done.

I'm fuzzy on the details,... but I've been on this board for a few years now and way way back I'd swear I remember you as the resident expert on some topic or other. Was it assassins, necros,... sigh, I'm senile already at the ripe old age of 33 :(

6. Ritslev

Ritslev IncGamers Member

Dexterity vs Vitality

Agreed that AR is a pain in the *beeep* with this build, but if that is the only problem with it I find that acceptable, I doubt there is a build out there with out problems :)

As for your question to Dexterity. By all means if you want to pump more into Dex please do so. It will help your defence/block/ar. A worthy investment.
    I agree also that ar charms are a great help as well.

Personally I've tried to pump as much damage as I can out of this build, as well as get a good stash of Vitality. At level 82 I have 265 in Vitality which with items transfers to : 1 k life.

That is a good start, I of course will be greedy and want more... but, dexterity is definately an option.

If you do though choose to go for Dex, then get 250 in Vitality and the rest into Dexterity.

7. Ritslev

Ritslev IncGamers Member

Thank you for your compliment, please don't take my replies as being offended, I'm not at all. I'm always open for constructive criticism. That is part of why I post.

What you posted is definatley worth mentioning, for those whom want to use the Blade Fury as a combination to another build, a dual build. For a BF only build though.. .. well you get the idea. While I agree on readers choice on what to do, I also learned making this Furysin that the gear is just so damn important, so much more than which skills you choose that I decided to go for an indetail all out step by step. Once people have tried it they can change it around. At least that way they know which way to go and what to use and what not to use.. so they don't have to redo their characters a lot of times (like I did hehe)

Claws do have a lot of nice features, they don't do what is needed though for the Furysin, unfortunately. As you state they just don't have the mods needed. Which reminds me, I forgot to mention in my guide that : You only get the benefits of one claw. So if you do choose to dual yeild (weapon block) you can't use the mods on Blade Fury with your second claw. Which is a shame, thus making weapon block kinda cool, but the mods on the weapon kinda worthless.

As you supplement my guide with nicely explaining Demon Limbs use, I also want to comment that the damage is just an added bonus. Never turn your back to added bonuses :)

I have played this build up 4 times. Remade skills only, gear was the same. I reached level 64, 78, 89, and now 82. I will be happy to demonstrate to anyone wishing it : Europe Server, Non Ladder, Acc : SonOfRa.

All in this guide has been tested, retested and then used in pratice. I beleive in trial by error. Meaning that once tested then you know if it works or not and you should by all means not take my word for it but try it out yourself. I can understand your sceptecism (sp), about the AR, the speed at which you throw the blades is definately what comes into effect here and what gives you the added time to see if this works or not... it's a must see to beleive I know, but by all means, give me a wink and I'll demonstrate any time :)

I've played Assasins since day one, and yeah I've been an advisor on the Sins here in the past, that was though a long time ago and not for very long.. RL came in and took over. Though one comment on that, if yo'ure ripe and senile at 33, I have a major problem at 31.. !!!

Unfortunately on a last note : Crushing BLow alone just doens't work anymore (sniffle), though at any time you wish to show me your build so we can compare notes : PLEASE DO!

8. lextalionis

Great guide. You might think about adding some lower end items and talking about them for leveling.

BLACK RUNEWORD (Flail, Scourge, Legendary Mallet) They could be ethereal, since BF won't hurt durability. This has great mods +200 AR, creates a great base for +% equipment like Enchant and Atma's Scarab. 40% CB is as much CB as a one handed weapon can provide. It has chill and knockback. The knockback then doesn't have to come from gloves. Not having Static is a huge setback though.

Gloves:

Lavagout: Lower level enchant, but not from charges so it doesn't need to be repaired and can be functioning roughly all the time. Plus its easier to get your hands on a lavagout than a tyrant limb.

Clegclaws: Knockback and Slows target at very low level. Slow can stack for even more slow from a belt too. Knockback can be very handy and again this is a really cheap glove.

BLOOD crafted gloves: 10CB and random mods. I know your build didn't need any more CB, but for people just starting out, this might be an option. The random mods on these gloves can also be very handy.

If you can find away around the Tyrant Limb or leave the Tyrant Limb in your stash, the two plus 3 Shadow Claws are still great for casting Venom, Fade, SM as well as MB.

9. Ritslev

Ritslev IncGamers Member

Lower Level Gear...

All the items you mention definately have its use, low level should basically look for the gear which gives :

Elemental Damage.
    Open Wounds.
    Crushing Blow.

There is quite a lot of gear which gives these mods.

The Gear listed is definately usable. Other items worth mentioning are -

Armor :
    Toothrow Amor
    Iceblink
    Boneflesh

Helmets :
    Coif of Glory

Weapons :
    Fury Rune Word
    Malice Rune Word (Great for all levels really)
    Honor Rune Word
    Nords Tenderizer
    Gimmershred
    Baranars
    Light Saber

Gloves :
    Venom Grip
    Lava Gout
    Crafted Gloves : (Magic Heavy Gloves/Sharkskin Gloves/Vampirebone Gloves + Nef Rune + Perfect Ruby + Any Jewel)

Boots :
    Goblin Toe

All these items have interesting mods and I could easily continue, they are also stuff people usually throw away or give away. So keep an eye out for intersting mods, this build makes use of all kinds of funny stuff, and when people see your gear most laugh. When they see it working otgether they usually say 'wtf'.

I definatly encourage people to test out new gear. As was mentioned slow is a stat I've not put much effort into gathering, I have though tested Slow out with Blade Fury and it works just fine. It would be interesting to see what someone could do with a Furysin relying on slow for crowd control.

Thank you for the ideas Lextalionis. I'll look them through and try to find some way of elaborating on what I've found out so far.

10. Frenzied Bovine

Frenzied Bovine IncGamers Member

I recommend a "Black" runeworded weapon early on, in combination with LavaGouts. The enchant on LavaGouts will help your AR, and "Black" means you can just plain throw Rattlecage away. "Black" + Guilliames + Gore Riders = 90% Crushing Blow. If you wore Goblin Toe instead of Gore Riders, that would be 100% CB.

Your merc should be wearing Reaper's Toll if you're on Ladder. There's simply no other option. Decrepify will go off constantly.

11. lextalionis

Well Ritslev liked the Flee. I'm not sure how much I agree with that, I have found that croud control with this build takes work. Especially if you are carefully using CoS.

Reaper's Toll is what people are respectfully calling the Decreptify Aura weapon. I've heard good things, but I haven't found one or traded for one yet.

12. Ritslev

Ritslev IncGamers Member

Black Vs Other weapons.

While yes I can see the benefit of loosing Rattlecage for those whom dislike the flee.

I can't though undestand the wish to loose : Static. One of the things that really makes this buidl work. You loose static and you loose the ability to make it in 8 player games... The 3/4 damage penalty is just so crippeling that you can't ignore it .. and Crushing Blow doesn't cut it alone

Lex says it quite nicely I liked the flee. In normal.. did I like it? Not much. In Nightmare? Naw but it' was managable... in Hell? Yes I like it.

The reason being this : The monsters flee far in normal... less in nightmare, and barely in Hell... In hell you just don't have ot go chasing them.. so while it is not the way to crowd control with this build it is a nice supplemment.
    Some will definately NOT like Flee... it's all a matter of playing style. Just remeber then thinking about Flee and Blade Fury. You're not a melee character, and while they have their back turned to you you won't be chasing them but tossing metal at them.

Like dad always taught me : Kick 'em while they are lying down!

As for the Reapers.. no question about it.. if you're ladder.. I'm not so that is .. yet ... not an option.

13. Frenzied Bovine

Since you can't get RT non ladder, might I respectfully suggest Crescent Moon in a polearm, combined with Blackthorn's face, on a HF merc?

Then you're not tied to a static weapon necessarily.

And yes, i'll agree that when I tried a BF sin I really, really needed Flee. But that's because it was very easy for me to get swamped because I played the character totally wrong. I didn't use Mind Blast, a shadow, or a merc effectively at all.

There are a number of 'safety' routes you can go with a character like this. Slows Target is a good example of something that can really be stacked up. But i've rambled enough :buddies:

14. lextalionis

Even thought the chance to cast static has gone down since the Beta, I do agree, static is a big part of the build. It creates "splash" damage. The problem with Static is two fold.

For a Cresent moon weapon, that means no crushing blow on the weapon, it can't even be socketed with a ber. And I don't find that the rest of the mods on Cresent moon are that great.

ITD won't help versus bosses, I realize they are a minority. BLACK has +200AR which gives you a great shot at solving your AR problem.

-35 Lightning is great, if you have lightning damage. But this build barely has any lightning damage in it. You don't have a lightning skill, much less a synergy or Lightning Mastery. So this is pretty overrated.

I guess it has 60-100% more base damage. But I doubt this is a huge deal either in this build. Yes you get to use an ethereal weapon, but it also gets reduced by the ranged penalty for damage.

Lastly static goes off only 7% of the time. You can get CB to go off almost every time. So it really depends on how big of packs you are dealing with.

Stormlash, is undeniably one of the best weapons in the game. I might socket it with a BER myself for added crushing blow. Its the best weapon without question for BF and for DTalon. But its got a very high item level in the 80s. So you need something to wear till you get there. And this is probably the most expensive peice of equipment in your build.

I get it your trying to get 100% CB from non-weapon equipment so you can equip Cresent Moon. Shaefer's Hammer is better at casting Static than Cresent Moon is. Shaefer's might have less base damage, it can't spawn as Ethereal either. But, Shaefer's will completely take care of your AR problems by itself, freeing up your Amulet slot. bonus +50 life isnt' bad either. And it probably isn't any more or less expensive since finding a weapon to slot Cresent Moon into isn't easy either.

There may be many other options for weapons too if we are going to wear Rattlecage. Maybe an ethereal BotD Berserker Axe. At least that would give you decent base damage. I'm not sure if there is a better area of effect weapon out there either. Chaos has Orb, which would chill the board.

Crescent Moon 3 Socket Axes/Swords/Polearms Shael + Um + Tir 10% Chance To Cast Level 17 Chain Lightning On Striking
    7% Chance To Cast Level 13 Static Field On Striking
    +20% Increased Attack Speed
    +180-220% Enhanced Damage (varies)
    Ignore Target's Defense
    -35% To Enemy Lightning Resistance
    25% Chance of Open Wounds
    +9-11 Magic Absorb (varies)
    +2 To Mana After Each Kill
    Level 18 Summon Spirit Wolf (30 Charges)

Schaefer's Hammer
    Legendary Mallet
    One-Hand Damage: (100-114) To (124-338) (112-226 Avg)
    Required Level: 79
    Required Strength: 189
    Base Weapon Speed: [20]
    +100-130% Enhanced Damage (varies)
    + (2 Per Character Level) 2-198 To Maximum Damage (Based On Character Level)
    Adds 50-200 Lightning Damage
    +50% Damage To Undead
    20% Chance To Cast Level 10 Static Field On Striking
    20% Increased Attack Speed
    + (8 Per Character Level) 8-792 To Attack Rating (Based On Character Level)
    Lightning Resist +75%
    +50 To Life
    +1 To Light Radius
    Indestructible

Chaos 3 Socket Claws Fal + Ohm + Um 9% Chance To Cast Level 11 Frozen Orb On Striking
    11% Chance To Cast Level 9 Charged Bolt On Striking
    +35% Increased Attack Speed
    +290-340% Enhanced Damage (varies)
    Adds 216-471 Magic Damage
    25% Chance of Open Wounds
    +1 To Whirlwind
    +10 To Strength
    +15 Life After Each Demon Kill

Eternity 5 Socket Melee Weapons Amn + Ber + Ist + Sol + Sur Indestructible
    +260-310% Enhanced Damage (varies)
    +9 To Minimum Damage
    7% Life Stolen Per Hit
    20% Chance of Crushing Blow
    Hit Blinds Target
    Slows Target By 33%
    Regenerate Mana 16%
    Replenish Life +16
    Cannot Be Frozen
    30% Better Chance Of Getting Magic Items
    Level 8 Revive (** Charges)

15. Ritslev

Ritslev IncGamers Member

Merc weapons and Static

While giving a merc a Cresent Moon Polearm is a good idea I don't suggest relying on your merc for Static (You can also pop on a Hwanins armor on your merc that is ALSO very nice) simply cause if you find your merc dead, yo'ull get swarmed fast.. really fast. Uunless you can cut down down fast.

Flee isn't really needed if you use CoS + MB + SM proberly.. it takes a bit of getting use to but it's worth it. I see this as my most amusing buil/character to play.. and I've tried pretty much all

16. Frenzied Bovine

I think Chaos would make a great Blade Fury weapon - if it were achievable.

Just mucking around in the beta, the Orb went off a LOT, the magic damage was pretty nasty, and the Open Wounds was just plain fun to have.

FO at slvl 11 = 141-156 dam
    FO at slvl 20 = 262-267 dam

Of course a good sorc will have a fair whack of +skills :) But still, half damage orbs aren't bad, esepcially given that you have a 9% chance of firing one off every six frames.

Never disregard Open Wounds :)

17. sawse

sawse IncGamers Member

BF for the Trapper

You have to take my gear choices in context. This set up is optimal (imho) strictly for a trapper who needs a way to deal physical dammage in order to kill monsters that are immune to his two main attacks (lightning sentry and fire blast). True, it slows down in an 8 player game, (what doesn't) but because of all the safety measures I went for, I can kill lightning/fire immunes with zero risk.

On switch I use a ber'd fleshripper and a wall of the eyeless. When you combine this with my goblin toe boots, spiderweb sash, chains of honour, and cleglaw's gloves it's very effective with only minor gear compromises. The only thing I really suffer from is the lack of frostburns, but that wasn't a big deal, I just put a few more points in energy. Problem solved.

All together the set up gives me the following:

-50% target defence (combined with cos, this removes the ar problem)
    solid base dammage from fleshripper and L19 bf (only 1+gear)
    33% deadly strike (doubles physical dammage,... perfect)
    70% crushing blow (major dammage supliment)
    +200% dammage to demons
    +100% dammage to undead
    50% open wounds (always nice)
    slow monster 50% (an amazing safety feature, especially good vs act bosses)
    knockback (yet more safety)
    prevent monster heal (Diablo Clone anyone?)
    3% mana leach (it's why the dinky shield, so shield so I can spam blades)
    8% life leach

This completes my trapper. She can handle any immune. In fact, it also gives me the luxury of something else to spam when I encounter fire immunes that ignore my fire blasts. The 50% slow monster effect is really sweet vs any tough monster, just ask the necros why they like their clay golems so much. When I meet a group of really fast monsters I love to spray blades at them to slow them. It just makes things more managable.

18. Ritslev

Ritslev IncGamers Member

Fleshripper

The Fleshripper is one of the weapons I've not been able to get my hands on..

It is without a doubt a worth substitution for Stormlash (Yes I keep mentioning Stormlash cause really it's the best weapon hands down)

Etheral Fleshripper (Ber) would own.. or (Jah) depending on how much you use BF

One thing I did notice.. you wrote : Blade Fury 19..
    Have you put 19 points into BF?
    If so I'd say you wasted 18 points.

19. Ritslev

Ritslev IncGamers Member

Chaos is definately a good weapon, it lacks though a few things.. mainly : Static + Crushing blow.

It makes up for some of that with the Crowd Control of the Orb. The Magical damage which is huge. As well as some other nice stats. If you can afford a Chaos Claw.. I'd suggest you'd trade it for a Stormlash :) In case people haven't noticed I keep rambeling about that Lash..

20. lextalionis

Stormlash is better than Fleshripper for a pure BF build. Fleshripper works really well with Sawse's build because he only has two slots to get all his mods from because he's primarily a trapper. Because he's also primarially a trapper he has a lot of +skills 18 on his current build to be exact. Thus the level 19 BF. He only has one point put into it.