Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Blade Assasin

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by Tyce, May 5, 2008.

1. Tyce

Tyce IncGamers Member

Blade Assasin

Heres a set up that won't be that hard to reach.

I love the blade skills, wish they where synergized and this is PvM only unless i pvp to bs around

20 BF
    10 BS
    15 BA
    10 DS
    2 LS and 3 FB
    ( i know its not a lot of damage but its damage)
    15 SM
    15 Venom
    1 in all other Diciplines

Maybe some extra weapon block/CM/BoS if i decide to use claws.

This would be BNet Ladder PvM. I'm not looking for insane damage or super fast kills, just a safe build. Sentinel helps a lot from what i've experienced so i'm gonna raise it lol

Tyce

2. Tyce

Tyce IncGamers Member

Re: Blade Assasin

No help?

bump

3. stephan

stephan IncGamers Member

Well... what's there to say...

You can't really use Blade Sentinel and Blade Fury at the same time and both make Blade Shield rather pointless (even more than it already is) since both are ranged and you wouldn't be that often in melee range.

Most people consider maxing Blade Fury not worth it.

If you want a safe and easy build I'd just look into a normal Fury sin.

4. BIGeyedBUG

BIGeyedBUG IncGamers Member

Sentinal is largely useless past Normal. Blade Fury is really nice with the right equipment and attitude, but it's highly questionable whether the small benefits of putting extra points in it outweigh the advantages you could get from them elsewhere. Blade Shield is maybe borderline with a melee build, but integrates very poorly with one that's ranged. (I'm assuming "BA" in your OP is the third Blade skill.)

All of which is sort of sad. There was a lot of potential in the Blade Tree that just wasn't developed by the game's designers.

If you're already fully aware of the the problems with some of those skills and are just doing it for the theme, because it'll look cool, or whatever--great. I don't think your build is hopeless either, because even though it's not an "efficient" use of skill points, Death Sentry and Blade Fury are enough to make up for that if played right.

Otherwise, a more traditional blade Assassin would just put one point in Fury, and dump the rest in Shadow Tree skills and Death Sentry. Perhaps other traps or melee skills like Talon, but then you're getting into hybrid builds, or entirely different builds that just use BF as a backup.

5. Tyce

Tyce IncGamers Member

I was thinking of just maxing them as a theme mostly but i'd use armour because no matter what you play, you do get hit. + if i'm casting blade fury and a monster gets closer, i'll finish it with a sentinal or they hit me with armour. In long battles (sometimes huge groups of cows) Sentinal will also come in handy. I see it as firewall like.

Thanks for the input.

6. stephan

stephan IncGamers Member

But Blade Shield does not defend you against hits.

With CoS, MB, a merc and a posssible Shadow monsters really shouldn't be able to come in melee range. You can even add knockback if you want.

7. BIGeyedBUG

You're welcome.

RE: Sentinel. Unfortunately it can't be compared to Firewall in any significant way because its damage is so limited. You can sort of seeing this just by looking at the numbers at high skill levels, but there's more to the story than that. Its biggest problem is that it has a hidden modifier that prevents any target from being damaged by a Sentinel more than once per second. Even if a monster gets hit by 5 different Sentinels in a second, 2 through 5 will do absolutely nothing. So it can't be stacked like Firewall and similar skills can be, and its base damage is too low to make carpeting an area with frisbees useful.

It might be different if it at least applied some handy effects like Crushing Blow, Open Wounds, etc., but for the most part it does not.

And it has other problems too--cast delay, funky pathing, CtH dependence--but the other stuff just hamstrings it.

Feel like I'm being a bit of a spoilsport, but the truth is that beyond looking cool, it's just not a very functional skill. That doesn't mean you can't have fun with Sentinel. Just don't depend on it.

8. Tyce

Tyce IncGamers Member

i meant in the path. It moves around rocks though and stuff. I know it doesn't block attacks but it does do damage. maybe only 5 points in BA then more in DS. I know about the one second hit thing but i know at one point it took me 2 sentinals to kill gris cause i just ran around it (like firewall!) and he stayed in it. Thing is, i don't expect to be able to solo anything and i might add knockback. This build could be viable i think with use of DS and lightning facets and other players lol.

9. stephan

stephan IncGamers Member

Lightning Facets do not work with traps.

I really don't see why you don't make a regular BF-sin. The playstyle is almost the same and the effectiveness is ten times higher.

10. Nimbostratus

Nimbostratus IncGamers Member

I haven't done much experimenting with it, but Blade Sentinel might actually be good for damaging nearby groups. While it can only hit a single monster once per second, it tries to hit anything in range one per frame. So against dense groups, Blade Sentinel might actually outclass Blade Fury. :shocked:

As for blade shield, I'm fairly certain all it does is look nifty.

11. stephan

stephan IncGamers Member

Not really. To do more damage than BF it would need to damage more than 8 targets per second and then we are not even factoring in that Blade Sentinel does not trigger CtCs and Crushing Blow.

Also note that the idea of Furysins is not to do damage to many targets simultaneously with BF, but to take one or two down quickly and then let DS take over.

12. BIGeyedBUG

Which is why it works ok very early in the game. Later on, monster hps scale up a lot faster than its potential "area" damage over time, and it doesn't carry enough secondary effects to make up for that.

It is nice that it tries to hit once per frame as that essentially negates the CtH issue. But it's also can't hit a single target more than once per frame, even with multiple sentinels.

The key to low damage skills working later in the game is being able to take down individual targets relatively easily. Fury is a good example of this, as is something like Talon. Doing a little damage spread out over a number of targets approaches useless.

13. Indecisive

Indecisive IncGamers Member

Does lifeleech carry on to the Blade Sentinel? If so that would be nice.

14. BIGeyedBUG

Nope......

15. Indecisive

Indecisive IncGamers Member

That's a shame, otherwise it could have been very useful.

I like the idea of a melee assa, starting with a sentinel, and then going into the crowd, kicking away, and have the sentinel help out with the leeching and damage. But if the sentinel is useless, then it doesn't sound as fun.

16. Tyce

Tyce IncGamers Member

Damage is damage. What does Sentinel carry over?

17. stephan

stephan IncGamers Member

This is only a correct philosophy if that damage does not prevent your from doing something else.

Only the basic damage modifiers (+%ED CS/DS, poison/magic/elemental damage) and AR modifiers (ITD, +AR, +%AR). Non-physical damage will also receive the 3/8 penalty.

18. Tyce

Tyce IncGamers Member

Its not like it would be my main attack.. BF would be.. I'd just be using it almost as a backup attack.. What about knockback?

19. BIGeyedBUG

No. Here's the total list of what works with it, courtesy of onderduiker:

• Damage
    • + to Min/Maximum Damage*
    • +% Enhanced Damage*
    • % Critical/Deadly Strike
    • Adds Magic, Fire, Lightning, Cold and Poison Damage*

Length
    • Cold length
    • Poison length

Chance-to-Hit
    • + to Attack Rating
    • +% to Attack Rating
    • -Monster Defence per Hit
    • -% Target Defence
    • Ignores Target Defence

Other
    • % Extra Gold From Monsters
    • % Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
    • Skill bonuses
    *These are all reduced by the blade penalty

So besides the damage mods, the only one that's interesting is chill, which in itself is very weak in Hell without a lot of dedicated gear.

20. Tyce

Tyce IncGamers Member

you mean cold length? That helps, it can hit all the monsters in a group, faster then i can with my bf. I'm still going to use it, i'll have high elemental and ignore defense maybe. i don't know. once i download i'm going for it!