Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Biscuits

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by jackthelad, Oct 19, 2006.

1. jackthelad

jackthelad Diabloii.Net Member

Biscuits

As there is a thread about pies, I thought it opportune to make a thread about biscuits too, given my recent purchase of a box of oreos.
    It's the first time I've ever had oreos, but US tv shows are always going on about them, & the boast on the box about them being 'Worlds' #1 Biscuit!' sealed the deal for me. They don't sell them here in the UK (at least not in bulk) so as I was passing a deli/food importer one day I noticed a basket of them near the door. I walked in, had a browse (the fresh meat counter looked lovely, with loads of different kinds of meats, salamis, sausages & hams... none of it in pies tho.... not to mention the wide & varied selection of cheeses) & picked up a box of the oreos. £1.50 they cost me, for 24 biscuits! Thats about $3 at the mo I think. Surely they arent that expensive everywhere?
    They were lovely, but a bit pricey, especially when I can get a box of 36 Tesco Value bourbons (almost the same, but with chocolate cream filling & rectangular) for about 28p. They are lovely dipped in tea, too. The oreos were too round (& pricey!) to be dipping in tea.
    So whats the feeling on oreos here? Whats your favorite biscuit? I'm not sure if biscuit is the right word, maybe they are called cookies in the US, or something else. A chocolate digestive dipped in tea is a nice snack, or there is Foxs' crinckle crunch, pretty yummy too. While looking for some images came across a page for you Americans to sample some of the truly amazing biscuits we get over here: British biscuits.com!
    Recipies for biscuits/cookies are welcome too, always ready to try my hand at cooking!
    (How come recipies has 'pies' at the end of it? Coincidence? Dondrei?)

2. ModeratelyConfused

ModeratelyConfused Banned

I think they're ok, but they are pricey. So if a cookie is a biscuit, what's a biscuit called in the UK?

3. jackthelad

I thought they were just expensive 'coz they were imported, but maybe they are that pricey all over then!

A biscuit is a biscuit, I thought Americans called all biscuits/biscuity type things cookies? I didnt think the word 'biscuit' existed as such in America!

4. ModeratelyConfused

5. Dondrei

Dondrei Diabloii.Net Member

Yes, we don't use the word "cookie" in Australia either (well, not until American TV started poisoning the minds of our children anyway). I've had Oreos, I don't see the big deal. They're just normal, cheap, crappy shop-bought biscuits. We've had a similar kind of biscuit here for years that usually got sold in a big packet of biscuit varieties, I never thought anything of them. I always like the other ones better, I forget their names - they're oval in shape and have this jam and cream filling.

But all shop biscuits are crappy, the only good ones are home-made, preferably fresh from the oven. I like big chunky or oaty biscuits. Anzac biscuits are nice sometimes.

I haven't really eaten them in a while, it's too hard to get good ones. Crappy biscuits are all dry and powdery, ick. My wife does get some good chocolate chip biscuits from the shop though; they're good because they have more choc chips than any choc chip biscuit I've ever had. Seriously, they're smothered in those things.

How weird, that's a scone. You call them biscuits?

6. ModeratelyConfused

Heh, wikipedia uses the same exact picture for a scone.

For those that can't follow that convoluted mess:

Biscuit = cookie, scone = biscuit

7. FrostBurn

FrostBurn Diabloii.Net Member

I'm surprised that site doesn't have Tunnock's Caramel Wafers in there. Ok, it isn't technically a biscuit, but it is quintessentially British.

I've tried Oreos in the UK (iirc, I bought them at Sainsbury's) and in Australia, but never directly purchased from the USA. I've got a sneaky feeling that the imported ones don't taste as good as the ones in the USA, although that is just speculation on my part.

And yeah, we don't call it rip off Britain for no reason.

8. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana Diabloii.Net Member

Oreos are good. The only bad thing about them is they tend to leave dark cookie chunks in between your teeth.

9. The Future now

The Future now Banned

Dip them in milk you heathen!

10. Thelioness

Thelioness Diabloii.Net Member

Personally I never liked OREO cookies. When I was a kid, I would break the two sides apart, eat the frosting, and then throw away the wafers. Now days I find the frosting too sweet for me to do that. I don't know if they made the frosting sweeter in recent years, or I just grew up.

11. Bortaz

Bortaz Banned

$3.00/pkg is an average price for most cookies, I'd say. Oreos aren't particularly any more expensive than any other good cookie.

EDIT: Dear Person With The Huge-*** Signature: Please lessen the size of that beast, as some of us still use 800x600 resolution, and it makes side-scrolling scroll bars appear in our browser, limiting our enjoyment of this fine forum. Not to mention, being against forum rules. Look for Freet's thread from a year or 2 ago if you don't believe me.

12. Merick

Merick Diabloii.Net Member

So is the blue guy on Seasame Street Biscuit Monster?

13. Freet

Freet Diabloii.Net Member

Gives the old southern breakfast 'biscuits & gravy' a whole new twist don't it?

Silly people. :grin:

14. jackthelad

Whats that then? You should try a nice spotted dick, or maybe some toad in the hole. Lovely.

15. Dondrei

Dondrei Diabloii.Net Member

LOL. Get with the times, man.

Well, look who's talking I guess.

No, we leave American terms untranslated. Thanks to American TV Australians are known to use that word occasionally now.

Whichever definition of "biscuit" you use, that sounds gross.

16. Cannon Fodder

Cannon Fodder Diabloii.Net Member

Oreos don't really shine until you get into Double-Stuf land. The mint ones are pretty tasty too. I tend to take 2 Double-Stufs apart and make a Quadruple(bypass)-Stuf of Deliciousness.

Yes, Dondrei, they do spell it with one 'f'.