Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

bikes

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ZeppelinAngel, Jan 31, 2004.

1. ZeppelinAngel

ZeppelinAngel IncGamers Member

bikes

i have absolutely no idea if anyone here actually uses a bicycle, but i figured i'd ask a few things anyway

does anyone know some good bike companies/brand names that i could look into? i don't have a ton of money to spend on a bike, and i just need something for general use, not mountain biking or anything like that

2. theBlackKnight

theBlackKnight IncGamers Member

I falled off my bike once.

Go for the unicycle !!!!!

3. Jigga-Scrooge

Jigga-Scrooge IncGamers Member

gonna upgrade your transportation?

4. ZeppelinAngel

damn right i am

5. Clacker

Clacker IncGamers Member

Do you live In the usa?
    If so I have one word for you
    WalMart . But if u dont id try to use ebay :xsmile3:

6. ZeppelinAngel

where do you think i got the piece of junk that's rusting under my house a few years ago

7. Pierrot le Fou

Pierrot le Fou IncGamers Member

If you are really interested in a good bike, go to a good shop, and check some of them out. They range in price GREATLY, and depending on what you're looking for, they'll be able to help you out a lot. The 'best' bikes have steel frames because they're lighter, but you may feel like they're too light and/or wobbly.

I used to talk with one of the guys at the train stop on my commute to work in the states who was really into bikes, and he basically said that there are a zillion different options of things you can customize, and that you have to find what feels best for you. Different types of handle-bars, shifters, pedals, frames, wheels, there's a ton of variety in it all.

Basically, go to a bike shop, check out the options, and ask friends with bikes with the various types to try them out, or ask at the store if there's any way to see how they feel.

Everyone in Japan rides bikes, but generally they're 1-speed generic bikes. That works fine for me, and I ride around an hour or so out of every day. If you really want something fancier, your best bet is the bike shop.

I am pretty redundant in this post, eh?

8. Corneo

Corneo IncGamers Member

Never buy bikes from places like Walmart. Get bikes in specialty stores. I live in Davis, CA, aka. City of Bicycles. I got a $200 bike built by Trek. This bike is awesome.

9. Damascus

Damascus IncGamers Member

Um.... sure? Steel bikes are usually kinda heavy, It's the alooomi...alunimi.... aluminum bikes that are lighter.

10. Ezakimak

Ezakimak IncGamers Member

I'm assuming your looking for something that will last you for a decent amount of time and can handle a decent beating, ie curbs/potholes and whatnot. I'm also assuming your not looking for a BMX bike. You could try Trek, Schwinn (sp?), Mongoose ($$$I think though, it's been a while). Specialized. All of which make very respectable bikes. If your looking just for something to get around with you'll probably get the best deal with a trek or schwinn. But before you purchase one you should check out a shop with them so you can't get an idea of prices, and so you can get a bike with a frame that is the right size for you. We all know how much of a pain it would be to have a bike frame a few inches higher than our crotch while standing over the bike. You can also get a frame thats too small for you and it would actually make it harder for you to ride. Hope I didn't kill you with too much info.

11. Plum

Plum IncGamers Member

The lightest frames are titanium and carbon usually, if I remember correctly. They can be pretty pricey though. Steel is always a reliable choice in my opinion.

12. theBlackKnight

theBlackKnight IncGamers Member

go with a schwin or a huffy....unicycle that is !!!!

13. Pierrot le Fou

Pierrot le Fou IncGamers Member

I assumed aluminum, but I was told that steel was the lightest by this guy, and he spent almost 2 grand on his last bike. But don't take my word, check at the bike shop.

And I doubt she wants a BMX bike if she's going to be using it for transportation. That's just my guess though.

14. Savage

Savage IncGamers Member

Aluminium and titanium bikes are much better than steel bikes. Aluminium is lighter and titanium is stronger so they can use less of it.

PLF is otherwise right (=P), a good bike shop in your area should be able to hook you up with something suitable for your uses and price range. As with anything the more you pay the better the bike will be, but for just riding around town and tackling the occasional hill you don't need anything amazing.

15. Plum

Plum IncGamers Member

For general riding, steel beats the bejesus out of carbon, titanium, or aluminum. It's tougher, more flexible (relative to it's other advantages), and if a crack starts out, you can catch it before your bike is ruined. It's also pretty inexpensive, which is a nice advantage.

16. LunarSolaris

LunarSolaris IncGamers Member

Bascially Zep... you'll get what you pay for in a bike. If you go with the cheapy $120 Walmart variety... you'll get just that. I'd suggest that you consider investing a little more money into a bike (read, not a ton of money of course, but a little more). In the long run, you'll be much happier with it.

I personally prefer Trek Bikes, but that's just my personal preference. I have a Trek Antelope that I bought over 10 years ago and I've ridden the hell out of that bike (including some really rough trail riding), and it's still going strong. If I remember right, I paid about $300 for the bike - and I suggest you might want to consider that price range yourself on whatever bike you buy. That'll get you a decent bike - not the top of the line of course, but a bike that should hold together pretty well for a long while.

Anyhow, I'm no expert of course... but I hope that helps a little.

EDIT: This Bike in particular might be a good choice (of the lower end of Trek, but I would say good). And, at $250, it won't break the bank too badly.

17. Kaysaar

Kaysaar IncGamers Member

What type of bike you should get largely depends on what you plan on doing.

If you plan on riding more or less exclusively on the road, then consider either a road bike or a hybrid road/mountain bike. Road bikes are much lighter, faster and more effecient, but tend to be more fragile and are often expensive. They also do not do off-roading (non-pavement) well. If you're going to be riding longer distances (15+ miles), think about getting a road bike, it'll cut travel time drastically.

Hybrids are all around good bikes. They usually don't have all the extra shock absorbtion, but unless you're careening down mountains or over roots and stuff like that you don't need them. They are more durable then road bikes, and fast enough for normal riding. Because they also have wider more treaded tires, it's easier to ride off-road with them (i.e.- dirt roads, or very poorly paved roads). These would also be good for city/town riding.

And definitely go to a specialty store, they'll know much more then your average Wal-Mart sales rep. You might pay more, but you'll get a bike that is better, and will fit you better.

18. SelfBaisResistor

SelfBaisResistor IncGamers Member

Trek is a very credible bike company. There is a Trek factory here in Whitewater, Wisconsin. Coincedentally that's where I went to college.

19. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

There is a guy down the street from me that is REALLY into riding. He goes on month long mountain/cross country rides. He has several bikes the most exspensive hanging around 3000$, I asked him how you could possibly spend that much once......took an hour and a half to explain it. The thing is light too I can use one finger to lift it. He also has one of those nifty "Lay-down" bikes where you lean back a lot.

Anywho I have a hybrid Pacific and it has been through a lot. Aluminum body and nice big shock absorbers on it. It can handle off-road really well and street speed is good. The only real thing I have to add is get some good gloves they will save your hands.

20. Corneo

Corneo IncGamers Member

And if your a guy you might have to get one of those man friendly seats.