Big Three in 09?

Trestle

Diabloii.Net Member
Big Three in 09?

The more that is shown on the image the more comfortable I am getting that D3 will be annouced on Sat. See How huge a year would the company have if they release WoTLK in Q1 of 09, SC2 in Q2 or Q3 of 09 and The long awaited Diablo 3 in Q4 just in time for holiday shopping.

See this would make the year monsterous for them. WoTLK is going to sell no matter when they release it. Everyone that plays wow is gonna run and buy it and eat it up. Most likely they will release as close to WAR as they can like they always do with big titles.

Starcraft is being hyped big time. This will help bridge the big earnings from Q1 to the huge Earnings in Q4 for them when they release Diablo 3 with a huge fan base waiting and a great marketing campain the company can pretty much set Game Industry records with sale in a single year that will be very hard to beat for years to come.

Anyway I am at work and board thinking to much LOL. Speculate on my friends.

Mestre Crjspim

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Big Three in 09?

The more that is shown on the image the more comfortable I am getting that D3 will be annouced on Sat. See How huge a year would the company have if they release WoTLK in Q1 of 09, SC2 in Q2 or Q3 of 09 and The long awaited Diablo 3 in Q4 just in time for holiday shopping.

See this would make the year monsterous for them. WoTLK is going to sell no matter when they release it. Everyone that plays wow is gonna run and buy it and eat it up. Most likely they will release as close to WAR as they can like they always do with big titles.

Starcraft is being hyped big time. This will help bridge the big earnings from Q1 to the huge Earnings in Q4 for them when they release Diablo 3 with a huge fan base waiting and a great marketing campain the company can pretty much set Game Industry records with sale in a single year that will be very hard to beat for years to come.

Anyway I am at work and board thinking to much LOL. Speculate on my friends.

This is not a logical economical thought. Firstly, you are only thinking of short-term profit... immediate sales on the firts few weeks/months. Believe me, they will think long-term, specially on the Starcraft game. They will suck WotLK and Starcraft 2 to the bone.

Secondly, what would be the advantages of having a massive 2009 year regarding financial results, if the following years couldn't match that? I assume that you understand that the major enterprises work on the base of objectives and that their CEO's and CFO's are paid accordingly with that objectives. So if you have a super massive 2009 year, in 2010 people would expect even better results, which couldn't be obtained. Regarding stock market, it is fundamental that an enterprise can keep a growing rate from year to year. If so, their shareholders can have good profits from their investment throughout the years. This would attract even more investors and even more interested stakeholders. Having one good massive year would ruin this behaviour. People would know that in 2010 Blizzard shares would be much less valuable. They would go on a selling spree that would ultimately ruin the company.

In my PoV, I can see WoTL being release in the same year/season as Starcraft 2, but a Diablo game should be the star of a new year/season. It is much more logical, balanced and financially reliable.

Trestle

Diabloii.Net Member

I'm not thinking short term. They have already said they want to release a WoW exp every year. This is going to keep that flow pretty much standard year to year. How far they will go with the starcraft line I dont know I am not a fan of the game so I couldnt say. However with diablo they have a cash cow in the making. They can release the next title to get the interest peaked again on the story. With all the backstory and lore that there is for the Diablo universe it make a great choice to be the next giant MMO. So when they finally feel the WoW engine is nearing the end of its life they release Diablo into the Mix and hold onto much of that market of gamers they currently hold the monopoly on.

Though I can see one getting released this year probably WoLK with the other 2 coming in the following year.

Mestre Crjspim

Diabloii.Net Member

I'm not thinking short term. They have already said they want to release a WoW exp every year. This is going to keep that flow pretty much standard year to year.
For how many years will they keep releasing new expansions for WoW? The game has passed it's growth stage and is now stable. In a not so far future, they will move on to a WoW 2 or something like other games in the market. Their main concern now is to balance production of new content to WoW with the number of gamers. Even if Blizzard could maintain WoW for 10 more years, that situation would not be enough to cover your super massive 2009 year, as I stated in my previous answer.

However with diablo they have a cash cow in the making.
Presently, Blizzard's cash cow is WoW. This game is the one generating big income. Diablo is a Star, I think. It can be a cash cow in the future, but it still needs a lot of investment and a lot of work around production/marketing/distribuition.

So when they finally feel the WoW engine is nearing the end of its life they release Diablo into the Mix and hold onto much of that market of gamers they currently hold the monopoly on.
Now you're in a bit of contradition. You said that Diablo and WotLK could be released in the same year, 2009, but now you say that only when WoW is fading, Diablo can see the light of day. In fact this last idea is the correct one and I, as well as others, have pointed that in other threads. This fact could probably indicate that a Diablo game would only released in the late 2009 (Christmass time) or 2010... this would definitely depend on the release date of WotLK.

Trestle

Diabloii.Net Member

For how many years will they keep releasing new expansions for WoW? The game has passed it's growth stage and is now stable. In a not so far future, they will move on to a WoW 2 or something like other games in the market. Their main concern now is to balance production of new content to WoW with the number of gamers. Even if Blizzard could maintain WoW for 10 more years, that situation would not be enough to cover your super massive 2009 year, as I stated in my previous answer.
They have at least one more in the pipe with the Emerald Dream. I can see them having at least another 3 to 4 year of a solid gamer base.

Presently, Blizzard's cash cow is WoW. This game is the one generating big income. Diablo is a Star, I think. It can be a cash cow in the future, but it still needs a lot of investment and a lot of work around production/marketing/distribuition.
Thanks thats pretty much what I said.

Now you're in a bit of contradition. You said that Diablo and WotLK could be released in the same year, 2009, but now you say that only when WoW is fading, Diablo can see the light of day. In fact this last idea is the correct one and I, as well as others, have pointed that in other threads. This fact could probably indicate that a Diablo game would only released in the late 2009 (Christmass time) or 2010... this would definitely depend on the release date of WotLK.
I didnt contradict myself at all you just chose not to include this line in your quote

With all the backstory and lore that there is for the Diablo universe it make a great choice to be the next giant MMO.
So my point was they release D3 as a way to start the interest in the game line beyond the diehards and build a solid (Current) fanbase so when they decide to release the MMO they already have a huge following. Even if D3 is announced this weeked we will not see the game hit shelves till the end of next year. Unless the game is already in a progressed working state.

prion

Diabloii.Net Member

you guys are forgetting that the company is now far larger than just Blizzard

Trestle

Diabloii.Net Member

you guys are forgetting that the company is now far larger than just Blizzard
Even more reason for them to want to show how strong a market PC gaming can be. Next big realease Guitar Hero MMO.......
:greedy:

Davidus

Diabloii.Net Member

late 2010 or early 2011
2009? no way:D

WotLK(this year)
SC2 2009 q1
SC2 exp 1 year later
another WoW exp late 2009 or early 2010
Diablo 3

Sentarius

Diabloii.Net Member

While I agree that D3 won't be ready next year, and that it makes long-term sense to string releases out, there is one good argument for releasing a whole lot of things at once: To clear the development cycle for new Activision-related projects.

Davidus

Diabloii.Net Member

While I agree that D3 won't be ready next year, and that it makes long-term sense to string releases out, there is one good argument for releasing a whole lot of things at once: To clear the development cycle for new Activision-related projects.
true
(10 chars)

Mestre Crjspim

Diabloii.Net Member

So my point was they release D3 as a way to start the interest in the game line beyond the diehards and build a solid (Current) fanbase so when they decide to release the MMO they already have a huge following. Even if D3 is announced this weeked we will not see the game hit shelves till the end of next year. Unless the game is already in a progressed working state.
Ah, this I did not understand previously... so you are saying that Diablo III would be like a "prequel" for a big time netx-gen MMO based on the Diablo lore? If so, I can definitely understand your point of view and see some logic behind all that!:thumbsup:

sirroman

Diabloii.Net Member

Thats just what he tried to tell, Mestre Crispim (BR?).

Actually I thought something like that also.

Blizzard took a sip from the fountain of MMO games, I'm SURE that when (some would say "if") WoW lose some of his momentum... They will mostly take another franchise to the red zone of MMO to rule them all.

I would do it. ^^

BUT I don't think they would make a third MMO... It would be really cheap.

Bad Ash

Diabloii.Net Member

You guys are missing a big clue that I said in a thread about 1 month ago regarding blizzard. They havent had a trend recently of announcing games and holding onto them for several years. WotLK and SC2 were both announced last year and are expected to be released this year.

If Diablo 3 is announced, expect it in 2 years or less. It isnt THAT unreasonable to expect it next year for christmas. Blizzard used to be bad about teasing the crap out of their fans, but now they dont say crap until they have a decent start into the game....WotLK, SC2, Burning Crusade are all my current examples for this

Mestre Crjspim

Diabloii.Net Member

I'm not so sure about WotLK and BC, because they are expansions and the major work had been done previously... although the Starcraft 2 example definitely supports your ideas and I can see your point.

mouseman

Diabloii.Net Member
Alright, this would be something that would make everyone crazy:

Diablo III for christmas.. 2008!

Couple of points why:

It has been pretty much confirmed that they started the work on DIII right after LoD. Even though the game went back to the drawing board 2003 and 2005, they have had good seven years with that game. It logical to assume they continued the development after 2005, so the game has had three good years of development with unrestricted funding coming from WoW.

Blizzard did have a lot problems with Starcraft: Ghost. They probably won't do the same mistake and announce a game they aren't planning to release in near future. Like in a year or something. And what would be better than christmas?

This theory rest heavely on the assumption DIII won't be a MMO. Why? They have already covered that segment with WoW and Diablo wouldn't fit as a MMO. People playing DII instead of WoW prove that every day. And why build competition to your own franchise? If it isn't a MMO it doesn't require so much play testing, so with 3-4 years of development and 7-8 years of active thinking to say at the least, it's not so far-fetched in my opinion.

Think about it:

Announce at WWI
Playtest at Blizzcon, start of the closed alpha
Stresstest beta (like with DII) in beginning of December
Release to the christmas markets.

This would really make up to the time in between the sequels. People would go crazy and enter shopping-frenzy. It would be a blast instead of an obsecure "3-4 years" announcement.

Think about it this way: if they don't want to release it in the next year, why announce it now? They don't have any fiscal problems forcing them to promise anything. They could've waited a year to make the announcement and make sure it would be ready so that the hype would stay on from the announcement to the release. They probably waited a year or years - since now when the time is ready.

Last edited:

Bad Ash

Diabloii.Net Member

X-mas 2008 is crazy. I cant endorse or believe that is going to happen. You have to remember that Diablo 3 was entirely scrapped and they had to start from scratch and I dont think its been 4 years since they started working on it....Also, it HELPS blizzard when they have 2 years of hype around a game driving peopel crazy because they want it.

Id be in love if it was x-mas 08, but that is when WotLK is going to come out so I wouldnt hold your breath. I dont think its unreasonable for blizzard to realease all the games within 1 year of eachother, but not in the same month/time period.

The big thing to remember which is cool is that all 3 IP's really ARE different enough from eachother where they wouldnt really be competing with one another. Warcraft and SC were competitors until WoW came out and now they arent even on the same playing field.